One in Ten Facebook Users Abused Online

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you think there is an overabundance of rude, insensitive, and downright mean people on Facebook, you could be right on the mark. A new survey by Global Market Insite found that 10% of Facebook users have experienced abuse in both public and private messages.

Ralph Risk, Marketing Director Europe, said "In the virtual world of social media people may feel it is easy and anonymous to send insulting or abusive messages to other users

Third world problem: My parents were shot in front of me, I'm hungry, and forced to fight as child soldier in militia.

First world problem: Someone said something mean on my Facebook page. I feel abused.

These days people consider calling an idiot, an idiot abusive..so whatever. People have turned into such unbelievable babies crying wolf it is pathetic.

These days people consider calling an idiot, an idiot abusive..so whatever. People have turned into such unbelievable babies crying wolf it is pathetic.
We empower those that describe themselves as victims, so it should be expected.

Hey, how about we water down the meaning of the word "abuse" a little more, eh ?

Come on. People saying mean things to you on the internet is NOT "abuse". How about maybe we grow a pair already ?

Came here to post something witty, found out this person already stated something much more pertinent. :D

Third world problem: My parents were shot in front of me, I'm hungry, and forced to fight as child soldier in militia.

First world problem: Someone said something mean on my Facebook page. I feel abused.

Seriously this is just another example of the Pusification of America in action.

Actually, I would agree with others that 10% isn't too bad considering the number of Facebook users ... although I suspect that one reason it is lower is that the more rowdy elements of the online community don't like FB and wouldn't be caught dead there, even to be abusive ... one does wonder what the stats are like in more free for all environments (like 4chan :eek: ) ,,, I suspect those are much higher than 10% ;)

I don't think that's true. If anything, people tend to play down a lot of the abusive things that get said online, dismissing them as just "online trolling". Which is why it's only 10% and not 100% of users.

The article says "insulting, abusive or threatening private messages". If an angry ex-boyfriend sees a picture of the girl with a new guy and sends a PM that says "You f#$$ing slut, I'm going to kill you!" That's pretty serious. Shii i know enough people that has happened to, to be more than 10%.

The encouraging thing about the article is that the abusive behavior does decline for older age groups, and as people set better privacy filters on their accounts. Teenagers are such idiots.

Back