ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 and FX-8350 Overclocking

DanRyan23

n00b
I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to overclocking and was hoping someone could help me figure out a correct overclock for my new ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 motherboard with an AMD FX-8350. I also bought 16 GB of G.Skill F3-2133C9D-16GXH Ripjaws X Series (2x8gb) DDR3 which I have seen multiple posts saying it has to be manually set and I am not really sure how to properly do that as well.

Any help would be appreciated (what settings to disable, frequencies, etc.) I don't want to push the processor too hard, maybe from 4.0 to 4.4 or so, but I do want to get the RAM to 2133mhz O.C. (I bought 2 sticks, not 4) at the advertised timings if possible, so I need to know what settings I need to adjust for the CPU/RAM within the bios.

Thanks!

Daniel

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
AMD FX-8350 CPU
Zalman CNPS9900A LED CPU Fan
16 GB (2x8GB) G.Skill PC3 17000 F3-2133C9D-16GXH Ripjaws X Series
XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Core Edition
Corsair 500R White

Your rig looks solid but you don't list your power supply in your build, don't skimp on this if you want to oc your rig. I am not a pro overclocker by no means, but will try to get you going in the right path. first you should go to your bios and turn off all the power saving features, Cool and Quite, C1E, There are 2 ways you can oc your cpu, Increase the multiplier or the bus speed. The easy way is to up the multiplier. your 8350 runs stock with a 20 multi, so 20x200 bus speed = 4.0. If you raise the multi to say 21 now your at 4.2 Ghz. now if you want to up your bus speed from 200 and leave the multi at 20 you can oc your cpu that way too. example - 20 multi x 210 bus speed = 4.2. If you do up the bus speed your ram timmings also increase. I have found that I get better oc's by upping the bus speed and not the multiplier but others in the forums have had diferent results.(READ REVIEWS) on the FX chips !!! Oh, and correct me if I'm wrong on anything fellow [H]r's :eek: keep an eye on your temps also when ocing that 8350.

Thanks a lot for the reply, I bought a Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply a while back and figured that would be good enough considering I'm not running SLI or anything.

If I go the bus speed route will that mess with the manual overclock of my RAM? I read that to reach 2133 for my RAM I am going to have to manually set everything, and I don't know much about that either.

Thanks
Daniel

If I go the bus speed route will that mess with the manual overclock of my RAM? I read that to reach 2133 for my RAM I am going to have to manually set everything, and I don't know much about that either.

In BIOS, set memory speed, and latencies as listed on your memory package. (4 latency values, I guess)
At least, that's how I solved it on my Sabertooth, with Gskill 1866.

Upping up the voltage could kill your components.... so, it's a risk.
If your are a newb with OCing... I would advise against it.

4.2 is the turbo speed by default, 4.4 is very mild. And doesn't it ramp down if less is being processed?

I'm not sure, but yeah I think I could go higher than 4.4, maybe I will do more like 4.6

Back