New SuperMicro media/backup server

Carisma

Weaksauce
Hi,

I am about to receive my new media/backup server and I had a couple of questions but first a little background about the server and everything planned for it.

It will be a SuperMicro SC846TQ-R900B modified with a standard PSU as well as 5 new quiet fans to lower the noise levels. It will be a Windows platform (haven't decided on which one yet but leaning towards WHS2011) and will have two FlexRAID pools (one for media only 18/24 & the other for backups only 6/24).

Here is where I need some help...
  1. Would it be wise to get WD REDS over the Greens for this server as it will be up 24/7?
  2. With 24 drives, an SSD and other components needing power...would a 750w single +12v rail PSU be enough for it? (see below for my thoughts about this)
  3. Would it be wise to use REDS for the backup part of the server or would it be better to get something more reliable?

About the PSU, my calucations for this size unit are based on 2A/per drive plus 8A overhead for everything else...
62A/2A = 31 drives, subtract 4 for some overhead, result is support for 27 green drives

Any help, comments, concerns or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
G

1) How are you planning on fitting a standard ATX PSU in that case? To the best of my knowledge, the case lacks the mounting holes for any other PSU.
SC846TQ-R900B_rear.jpg

2) Assume 30W per HDD (During spinup), and 100W for the rest of the system. 820W. You could get by with a 750W PSU if you utilize staggered spinup, but I'd recommend looking for a 900W+ PSU. It should idle around 240-250W. I'm not saying 750W wouldn't work... It'd just be too close for my comfort, personally.

3) It really doesn't matter if you use Reds or Greens. As long as they're properly cooled (AKA, no "silent" fans), you're looking at a nice long lifespan.

1) How are you planning on fitting a standard ATX PSU in that case? To the best of my knowledge, the case lacks the mounting holes for any other PSU.
SC846TQ-R900B_rear.jpg
See this picture of how I plan on utilizing the standard ATX PSU...mine will be moved closer to the opening but still the same mounting...

jYWcjAel.jpg

2) Assume 30W per HDD (During spinup), and 100W for the rest of the system. 820W. You could get by with a 750W PSU if you utilize staggered spinup, but I'd recommend looking for a 900W+ PSU. It should idle around 240-250W. I'm not saying 750W wouldn't work... It'd just be too close for my comfort, personally.
That's good to know...I've always based it on amperage at startup compared to watts at startup but I rather have a safe margin. Thanks for the help.

3) It really doesn't matter if you use Reds or Greens. As long as they're properly cooled (AKA, no "silent" fans), you're looking at a nice long lifespan.
As for the fan replacements, it was between the these two:

That's good to know...I've always based it on amperage at startup compared to watts at startup but I rather have a safe margin. Thanks for the help.
Wattage isn't the best way to do things, but it tends to work out for me. Note that the same drives that pull 30W when spinning up will only use 5W under utilization, or 2.5W idling. I was also assuming that you're using a single controller card. Worst case scenario, and all that. I could see a scenario where your motherboard spins up one controller's worth of drives, then the next, then the next, etc. In that case, 750W would be plenty. I'd still rather have 900W, but I doubt it's "necessary".
As for the fan replacements, it was between the these two:
The important thing with replacing the fans in the SuperMicro chassis is going to be the static pressure. I can't find stats for the static pressure on either of those fans, so I can't recommend for or against either. Generally, I'd recommend the Scythe Gentle Typhoons, but given that you're working with 80mm fans, you're way outside of my comfort/knowledge zone.

At any rate, it looks like you've got a heck of a build going. Gonna be an awesome rig when it's done!

Wattage isn't the best way to do things, but it tends to work out for me. Note that the same drives that pull 30W when spinning up will only use 5W under utilization, or 2.5W idling. I was also assuming that you're using a single controller card. Worst case scenario, and all that. I could see a scenario where your motherboard spins up one controller's worth of drives, then the next, then the next, etc. In that case, 750W would be plenty. I'd still rather have 900W, but I doubt it's "necessary".
Well during startup it would probably spin up all drives (I won't be rebooting the server that often) but during regular usage, it will only spin up the drive that it needs and leave all the others in standby.

The important thing with replacing the fans in the SuperMicro chassis is going to be the static pressure. I can't find stats for the static pressure on either of those fans, so I can't recommend for or against either. Generally, I'd recommend the Scythe Gentle Typhoons, but given that you're working with 80mm fans, you're way outside of my comfort/knowledge zone.

At any rate, it looks like you've got a heck of a build going. Gonna be an awesome rig when it's done!
I'll do more research for 80mm fans with high static pressure and low noise but thanks for the suggestions. I'm so excited to finally have a dedicated server instead of a ghetto rigged machine.

Back