Random lock ups on P8Z68!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creepin_D

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm posting this question here, because I believe my problem is board related.

I have an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 board. From time to time I get random lock ups. First I thought it may have to-do with my overclock, so I set everything to default in my bios. This did not help.

The only indication I get that my system has locked up (aside from not being able to do anything on my screen) is my Logitech G15 keyboard goes black, display and keys.

I have not updated my bios in fear my system will lock up in the process.

Has anyone run into type of problem?

See my sig for system specs.

If you've got an SSD, specifically sandforce based, update the firmware.

Two machines i manage started having random freezes or even BSODs, they'd both be fine for a few days then BSOD, or BSOD three times in a night, or not boot... then be fine for a few days.

Anyhow, it finally dawned on me that the SSD firmware might just be causing issues. It was. both have been fine for weeks. Up until probably a few months ago, both systems were stable, fwiw, with the same SSDs. Not sure what changed.

Not sure on the ram settings, I just pressed F5 to set everything to default and then rebooted. I'll take a closer look!

I do not have a SSD installed, but I am installing the Plextor M5 Pro Extreme tonight. I will keep the firmware in mind.

Thanks

Odd I had this with msi z68 gd 80 b3 and moved to p8z68-v pro gen3 and its fine (at least so far.. ~3 days)

I have the same board and I'm having the same problem now. The 3 rear usb ports will loose connectivity randomly. It first started while I was playing killing floor and I thought it was the software but after doing a little research I've found it to be a problem that is affecting others as well. My board is almost 3 years old so I figured it was the beginning of the end and bought another motherboard just the other day. Another Asus board but this time I went for the P8Z77-WS

I have the same board and I'm having the same problem now. The 3 rear usb ports will loose connectivity randomly. It first started while I was playing killing floor and I thought it was the software but after doing a little research I've found it to be a problem that is affecting others as well. My board is almost 3 years old so I figured it was the beginning of the end and bought another motherboard just the other day. Another Asus board but this time I went for the P8Z77-WS

Well I am kind of glad it wasnt just me hahaha......how about random reboots? I still get them quite a bit even though all my bios settings are set to default. I updated the BIOS and I just done a fresh install of windows, and I added a second 7970 and a SSD.

It seems to me that all my problems are board related, I didn't plan on upgrading any time soon, but it looks like I may be forced to :(

So I am looking at this board;

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=72922&vpn=Maximus V FORMULA&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1277

My only question is, what is the difference between the Z68 and Z77 chipset?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back