Synology ds1512+ upgrade cycle

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
Kinda narrowed it down to the ds1512+ to replace a whs2011 (that was made from a hp media server). No rush. Just upgrading. Anyone know the refresh cycle? I can wait until the new servers come out.

Before anyone says it, I'm not smart or dedicated enough to build a box from scratch. I just want it to work neatly.

Kinda narrowed it down to the ds1512+ to replace a whs2011 (that was made from a hp media server). No rush. Just upgrading. Anyone know the refresh cycle? I can wait until the new servers come out.

Before anyone says it, I'm not smart or dedicated enough to build a box from scratch. I just want it to work neatly.

I have a DS1511+. The Synology OS is absolutely phenomenal and since the release is DSM 4.2, these things just get better and better. The refresh cycle I think is every 2 years.

I just made the same switch but to an 1812 for the same reason.

Could not be happier.

Is there a handy guide or layout with all their models vs features? They look pretty cool and I want to buy a 2 bay one to play with. It looks like they have 20+ models and I'm not sure which one I should get. Is there a small one that can do everything from their DSM stuff to ISCSI?

@feffrey

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-Disk...qid=1363702999&sr=8-1&keywords=synology+ds112

I have that at a few offices and it supports everything. Be careful though, it's limited memory prevents you from running too many services at once.

Here is a comparison for all the nas's:
http://www.synology.com/products/compare_spec.php?lang=us

I have 4 of them (2 DS112, 1 ds412+, 1 DS1511+) and they have all been pretty stable. I have had on and off issues with iScsi and AFP but custom patches that were then implemented in DSM 4.1 solved the issues for me thus far. Synology support is really awesome. They did an initial diag, remoted into my box, and they made AND applied the patch to my nas. I'm really glad I picked synology.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The reason for upgrading is to stream blu rays rips over a gigabit wired network, normal distances. All wires are cat 5e or cat 6, router is apple extreme latest model with all updates. Device is Apple TV gen 2 jail broken. Will upgrade to a 1080p device like a WD (wired).

I think it's my server. It is a hp media smart (495) with 2 gigs and whs2011 loaded on it and full updates. It works in all aspects but I think it's showing its age with speed.

Is my thinking correct? Would upgrading my server show any benefit to this issue?

Edit. Issue is stuttering. Even after device reset.

Last edited:
Is the Apple TV wired or wireless? If its wireless that's most likely your problem there. Are the files being transcoded?

Is the Apple TV wired or wireless? If its wireless that's most likely your problem there. Are the files being transcoded?

No transcoding and everything is wired. Apple TV to hdmi to tv. No mobile devices.

Another option is to get a Mac mini as a home server and have a bank of hard drives available. I'm thinking mini because of lower power requirement. My av equipment is remote (in regards to viewing area) so heat and noise is an issue.

Edit. Price is similar so I'm ok with that. It's only for home use so a lot of the business applications on the synology would be superfluous. Just looking for speed of blu rays, stability, and ease of use.

All I can say is I just recently got my 1512+ and am loving it for all my media storage. Zero problems using it with OpenElec on a Zotac A10 and all my Windows/Linux/Android systems.

All I can say is I just recently got my 1512+ and am loving it for all my media storage. Zero problems using it with OpenElec on a Zotac A10 and all my Windows/Linux/Android systems.

Seems like that is the way to go. Thanks.

Back