Battlefield 4 Reveal Set for March 26

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
What is known at this point is we don’t know much about Battlefield 4, but we will in just a few days at the 2013 Game Developers Conference on March 26th. We do know that the beta will be out this fall and Kotaku scored some unofficial box art, but past that Electronic Arts is keeping their secrets pretty well.

Kotaku leaked a supposed image from BF4's box art, which features a tank and a highly detailed armored male character with a sniper rifle and pistol. The blue and orange color scheme (commonly seen in BF3) makes a return, and one of the in-set pictures that floats near the solider could depict Shanghai's skyline.

Just like BF3, if it requires origin (it will because EA is stupid and doesn't give a shit about their customers), I won't be buying it. I can hope the Sim city fiasco will make a noticeable number of people take a hard stance against it, but I realize that people forget everything between game releases.

BF4 Release Day: Servers overwhelmed, EA gives propaganda statement saying "The reason why we're so overwhelmed is because our product is so successful", days go by, EA offers to reimburse buyers with a free copy of SimCity thus crashing that server.

Anyone see what I'm seeing?

I hope they move away from the middle eastern and maybe go back into the future (2142). Either way, looking forward to this...BF3 is a lot of fun!

BF2 was a great concept, that is, get everyone on the battlefield communicating as squads, and add a command structure. BF3 just sucked imo.

I wish they would return to BF2's roots, but instead they just want to chase COD's tail. Not sure if BF4 will spark my interest, and I'm not holding my breath. Sad.

BF2 was a great concept, that is, get everyone on the battlefield communicating as squads, and add a command structure. BF3 just sucked imo.

I wish they would return to BF2's roots, but instead they just want to chase COD's tail. Not sure if BF4 will spark my interest, and I'm not holding my breath. Sad.

Get over it. Move on. I loved BF2, but BF3 is a worthy successor and is amazing in its own merits.

Great concept with exceptionally piss poor execution.

Balance was shit, aircraft and vehicle physics were shit, unlocks directly contributed to balance being shit. Squads were about the only good thing it had.

Things BF4 needs to do, but won't for the aforementioned EA being dickbags.

1) Eliminate the Origin requirement. This isn't even debatable. Origin goes or BF* anything can kiss off.
2) Allow the Modding community access to the engine and mod tools again. We are the ones who made Battlefield Successful in the first damn place. Continuing to spit in our faces isn't going to benefit the franchise. Newsflash, Mods keep people playing and purchasing new copies of the game.
3) Unlocks should be exclusively skins. Pay to win isn't an acceptable model in a competitive FPS.
4) Actually pay attention to what the competitive community is saying about balance. Ignoring those that put thousands of hours into a game and actually know what is balanced and what isn't is detrimental to any game.

I wish tech/gaming sites would just blacklist EA. They lie, and they're bad for consumers and games in general.

Am I the only one around here looks past EA and Origin and actually likes BF3? I think it's the greatest PC game in the past few years. Certainly one of the few that actually pushes modern hardware.

Am I the only one around here looks past EA and Origin and actually likes BF3? I think it's the greatest PC game in the past few years. Certainly one of the few that actually pushes modern hardware.

I actually like BF3 as well, though I still wish for a Battlefield 2142 sequel or followup.

PC gaming is about 2 things. Politics and hating and complaining about things. If you do neither then you cannot call yourself a PC gamer. :p

battlefield 3 isn't bad (when it works) once you find a great community/server to play on. I'm just glad there are crouch servers up.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

This is what i expect they will show. A trailer 10 seconds long with 2 seconds of game footage. :D

I hate EA/Origin but BF3 was actually good, I've gotten my money's worth no doubt.

Now thanks to EA burning me and everyone else with SimCity - it's made it from a day one purchase to a "I'll wait for reviews and give it a few weeks for the usual EA bugs or server problems to go away"

If it's the 2142 flavor -- I won't be extra excited, 2142 really didn't rub me the right way for whatever reason.

[..] though I still wish for a Battlefield 2142 sequel or followup.

Same. I put so many hours into that game but the one thing that eventually lost my interest was the constant crash to desktop. I'd be in a huge battle, racking up tons of points, then the game would instantly close - loosing my previous score. :(

I was a huge fan of the Battlefield series until they turned BF3 into "Snipety Sniper's Sit & Hide Funtime++"

You're either sniping, being sniped at, or dying. Or being owned by the vehicles because nobody can take them down. Say what you want about how bad BF:BC2 was with the small maps - at least the choke points meant nearly everyone had to be involved, instead of playing hide and seek on a giant map.

Same. I put so many hours into that game but the one thing that eventually lost my interest was the constant crash to desktop. I'd be in a huge battle, racking up tons of points, then the game would instantly close - loosing my previous score. :(

Yeah, I remember those CTD errors. Ugh. But, hey, the game was fun, right? :D

2142 was one of my favorite out of the entire Battlefield series.

And the EA leads the sheep to slaughter continues. Lots of sheep will buy this BS. If Simcity wasnt a wake up call on the true EA agenda then nothing will and fools will part with their money.

EA the good sheep herder..............

MUST HAVE IN GAME SQUAD VOIP SIMILAR TO BF2!

Pretty sad when the voip of a 8 year old game surpasses the current release BF3 but damn it needs to come back. Squad voip, and especially squad leader to commander voip, was CRITICAL to gameplay.

2.png

DICE had said that they were looking into a modified version of Commander. If it does make it into the game I think most of the moaning from the BF2 players will subside. I never played BF2 so for me the game is fine the way it is.

Yep and then I bought Sim City and said EA never again.

Pretty sad when the voip of a 8 year old game surpasses the current release BF3 but damn it needs to come back. Squad voip, and especially squad leader to commander voip, was CRITICAL to gameplay.

2.png

No. If you want squad communication get on Vent or something similar. I don't want to have to constantly mute the pre-pubescent asshats who just want to screech or have someone screaming in the background constantly. Baked in VOIP is just terrible.

First off, I don't see the problem with Origin. There is nothing wrong with it, they made a play to get into digital distribution and used their IPs to do so. Business.

As far as Sim City, that games problem was NOT origin. That games problem was that they tried to take Sim City, make it smaller and more sociable. Basicly a kind of MMO, and they didn't invest in the server structure needed to support it. Waaa WAAAA single player offline, just let it go. They chose to take their IP a different direction, if you didn't see that before you bought it then you were naive. I didn't want Sim City to go the direction they chose, therefore I didn't buy it. Most of the people bitching should have done the same, you are not entitled to an "offline single player mode" not matter how easy a hacker can make it happen. They didn't design the game that way, it is their IP. Don't buy it next time. If you did buy because you liked the direction they took, then yes they fucked up with the server issue and have handled it poorly.

As for BF4, probably won't have near as many issues at launch. The game is going to be designed with multiplayer coming first. It uses dedicated servers, which can be leased and run by the players if they so choose.

BF3 was a great game even on PS3 where I play the majority of the time with my friends. I think some of you on here aren't happy unless you are bitching, and live your life through rose tinted glass of "how things used to be".

I was a huge fan of the Battlefield series until they turned BF3 into "Snipety Sniper's Sit & Hide Funtime++"

You're either sniping, being sniped at, or dying. Or being owned by the vehicles because nobody can take them down. Say what you want about how bad BF:BC2 was with the small maps - at least the choke points meant nearly everyone had to be involved, instead of playing hide and seek on a giant map.

You're doing it wrong :). Snipers only run the map when you let them.

First off, I don't see the problem with Origin. There is nothing wrong with it, they made a play to get into digital distribution and used their IPs to do so. Business.

As far as Sim City, that games problem was NOT origin. That games problem was that they tried to take Sim City, make it smaller and more sociable. Basicly a kind of MMO, and they didn't invest in the server structure needed to support it. Waaa WAAAA single player offline, just let it go. They chose to take their IP a different direction, if you didn't see that before you bought it then you were naive. I didn't want Sim City to go the direction they chose, therefore I didn't buy it. Most of the people bitching should have done the same, you are not entitled to an "offline single player mode" not matter how easy a hacker can make it happen. They didn't design the game that way, it is their IP. Don't buy it next time. If you did buy because you liked the direction they took, then yes they fucked up with the server issue and have handled it poorly.

As for BF4, probably won't have near as many issues at launch. The game is going to be designed with multiplayer coming first. It uses dedicated servers, which can be leased and run by the players if they so choose.

BF3 was a great game even on PS3 where I play the majority of the time with my friends. I think some of you on here aren't happy unless you are bitching, and live your life through rose tinted glass of "how things used to be".

How much is EA paying you

2.png

I would prefer if they left it out. Honestly it was a feature I really liked about BF3 (if you can call it that). Or, give the players the option to disable all voice chat on all servers for every server. Nothing more annoying than idiots talking to ruin a decent gameplay experience.

EA is pure BS'er

Luigi Auriemma‏@luigi_auriemma
EA Need for Speed World has an embedded HTTP server called EASharp PerfMon running on port 64087, http://IP:64087/heap for fun & maybe crash

This is not about BF or Simcity but WTF is a embedded server doing running on players machines. Was this announced or stated on the box. Bet ya it wasnt.

No. If you want squad communication get on Vent or something similar. I don't want to have to constantly mute the pre-pubescent asshats who just want to screech or have someone screaming in the background constantly. Baked in VOIP is just terrible.

If you don't like VOIP you can turn it off with 1 setting in 30 seconds. But you cant fix thousands of games going bad because no one can do VOIP per server without it. This has always been a terrible argument, its like saying no one should drive cars because people might die.

I thought BF3 was great too. I can't wait for BF4. I read somewhere (can't remember where) from a source they called 'un-named but reliable' that BF3 used 30-40% of Frostbite 2's capability and that BF4 will use about 65% of it's capability. This is good and bad, just give us the 100% ffs.
There were things from BF2 like commanders that I'd like to see in BF4. The most effective weapon against vehicles in BF3 was the javelin, then they released with a patch the counter measure, which made vehicles indestructable.
Can't see what all the fuss is about Origin. Sim City hasn't gone well, but tbh I wouldn't be remotely interested as it's not my kinda thing.
BF4 will also be released for the next gen consoles, so I hear.

I kinda agree with this. Based on the mentality you see in average BF3 pub games, I don't want to hear these people. We do fine with Teamspeak. However not saying it wouldn't be nice to have a choice to flip audio on for a squad

I thought BF3 was great too. I can't wait for BF4. I read somewhere (can't remember where) from a source they called 'un-named but reliable' that BF3 used 30-40% of Frostbite 2's capability and that BF4 will use about 65% of it's capability. This is good and bad, just give us the 100% ffs.

Accessibility is an issue here though- it'd be like Crysis, except that you actually want to play Battlefield, not just look at it. BF3 was pretty rough on systems upon release, and BF4 likely will be too if your numbers pan out to a 40-60% resource usage increase.

But play it out a little more- consider bigger maps, more detailed destruction (BF3's destruction seemed largely toned down from what we had in BFBC2), more detail over all, and the biggest thing, 128 players on all platforms. Though I can't see PS4/NextBox playing along side PC players, at least with the jump in console memory and usable cores they'll be able to run the same maps.

And from an increase in player count, a re-introduction of the 'Commander' role does sound like a good idea. With a gamespace big enough and complicated enough to actually involve 64 players on a team, some central coordination does seem warranted.

BF4 Release Day: Servers overwhelmed, EA gives propaganda statement saying "The reason why we're so overwhelmed is because our product is so successful", days go by, EA offers to reimburse buyers with a free copy of SimCity thus crashing that server.

Anyone see what I'm seeing?

Kinda more like "we make some of the only games that really even matter at this point" and "Boundary pushing graphics to shut the graphics whores up, but they'll still bitch anyways just because they get good framerates and didn't have to buy eight new video cards."

Think real hard ;)

Back