NAS HDD & Chassis performance questions

Hello,

I'm planning on building a NAS based on either a QNAP 1079, or Synology 2413+ chassis. I initially wanted to use 4TB drives for maximum capacity, but this is cost prohibitive. Instead I'm considering the 3TB WD Red drives. However, according to the WD literature, these drives are "ideal" for enclosures with 1-5 drive bays.

Has anyone had experience/issues with these drives as part of larger arrays?

Also, I really like the build & functionality offered in the QNAP chassis, however the Synology offers additional disks (and expandibility with the DX12xx chassis) at a lower price point, for what seems like very similar functionality. Does anyone have experience with the both the 2413and QNAP?

If so, do you have a preference between the two manufacturers as far as functionality, speed & reliability?

I plan to configure RAID 6, with primary use of the NAS being transfer of my Bluray & DVD physical media, along with eventual integration into my future home network. For now, I'll use it to stream my media to PC. The NAS will replace various portable HDDs that I have media stored on now, at least some redundancy/protection (I currently have about 15TB of media).

Thanks in advance!

HC

I think the 1-5 drives come from the age old problem of vibrations in enclosures. They obviously want to sell as many RE4 drives as possible, the ones that are intended for more enterprise use, those drives have better tolerance for vibrations in an enterprise environment.

But tbh, I don't think it will make much difference for what you want to do!

Back