Apple Updates Boot Camp to Support Windows 8

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
On Thursday, Apple announced the release of OS X 10.8.3 which provides support for Windows 8 and several other needed updates. The Boot Camp update will make dual booting OS X and Windows 8 much simpler to set up and operate.

Now that Apple has finally released the update, the ability to switch between OS X and Windows 8 will likely be a welcomed addition for those of you who dual boot.

The OS is called OS X (Ten/10). The version is 10.8.3.

With that logic the latest version of Windows would be called. "Windows 8.6.2.9200.16384".

That's if there was a version prior to 10.*.* but there wasn't. OSX is referring to 10.*.* so they use it twice. Hence it's a bit funny when Apple and other people always say OS X 10.*.* OS 9's last build was 9.2.2, OS 8's last build was 8.6. You see the pattern here?

Now contrast that to Microsoft which they don't do Windows 8 8.6.2.9200. Microsoft does "Windows (name) (version) (Build)". The version name does not include the name.

Another thing is that every Microsoft Windows release there is, the version changes.

6.2 = Windows 8 / Windows RT / Server 2012
6.1 = Windows 7 / 2008 R2 / Server 2011
6.0 = Windows Vista / Server 2008 / Home Server
5.2 = Server 2003
5.1 = XP
5.0 = NT

So none of those version numbers share anything with the names of the operating systems.

I'd like to try installing Windows 8 on my rMBP, but I heard it's basically unusable at native resolution and trying to scale the DPI sucks.

Seems better than before but still no real gestures compared to OSX... Mission Control/Expose is sorely missed when using Windows. Also I'm not sure if it's a bug or what not but it still says, "Windows 7" in Boot Camp Assistant.

I'd like to try installing Windows 8 on my rMBP, but I heard it's basically unusable at native resolution and trying to scale the DPI sucks.

I don't like or use Windows 8 but both Windows 7 and 8 look fine on a rMBP. It's the same as with OSX in that programs that don't take advantage of the 2880x1800 on a 15" screen and some do.

Hrm, a mac book pro running Windows, isn't that a girl getting a sex change, then dressing up like a tranny?

What's unusable about it? I've been using Windows 8 for almost a year now at 2560x1600.

Hrm, a mac book pro running Windows, isn't that a girl getting a sex change, then dressing up like a tranny?

No, it was apples attempt to convert windows users to using OSX from windows, which kind of failed as many people ran windows and never went into OSX, at least from what i heard, and did myself on my old macbook black.

but what you have to remember is apple is a hardware company, not a software company, why they sell their OS for $20,

Apple would you buy their hardware, and likely couldnt care what you run on it, cause they still got your money.

No, it was apples attempt to convert windows users to using OSX from windows, which kind of failed as many people ran windows and never went into OSX, at least from what i heard, and did myself on my old macbook black.

but what you have to remember is apple is a hardware company, not a software company, why they sell their OS for $20,

Apple would you buy their hardware, and likely couldnt care what you run on it, cause they still got your money.

So, I buy $800 worth of computer equipment and a $1000 case? And people wonder why knowledgeable people stick with windows....

Can someone explain to me what the purpose is of buying an Apple computer and installing Windows on it? What's to be gained? Considering Apple products are overpriced, and if you only intended to run Windows, you could save a lot of money and get an even better PC to install Windows on and enjoy it natively.

So what the fuck?

Can someone explain to me what the purpose is of buying an Apple computer and installing Windows on it? What's to be gained? Considering Apple products are overpriced, and if you only intended to run Windows, you could save a lot of money and get an even better PC to install Windows on and enjoy it natively.

So what the fuck?

They offer some incredibly well designed hardware.

What's unusable about it? I've been using Windows 8 for almost a year now at 2560x1600.

High resolution on a relatively small screen like a 15 inch laptop tends to look blurry unless steps are taken to make sure images and text are properly scaled. OSX isn't completely Resolution independent, but it's further along than Windows

So what the fuck?

There is no Windows notebook comparable to a rMBP.

There is no Windows notebook comparable to a rMBP.

Buying a MBP because of its looks is like marrying a dumb blonde beauty and trying to have a meaningful conversation with her. I'm more for function over glitzy form. For the price of a MBP I can get a windows laptop that would run circles around the mac. And there is no arguing with that, mac's are just overpriced. As I said before, $800 bucks worth of hardware and a $1,000 case.

Back