partitioning SSD?

blarf

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I just got a new Samsung 840pro 256Gb. Should i even partition it?
I have another 1Tb drive for all my stuff. any advantages/disadvantages with partitioning a SSD?

thanks

any advantages/disadvantages with partitioning a SSD?
SSDs are like any other HD and there's no reason to partition them.

Remember the KISS principle.....Keep It Simple Stupid. :)

There is no advantage with an SSD. Partitioning a standard hard drive usually was done to keep the system partition close to the same area on the platter to reduce the time needed for the head to move around. With an SSD access time is the same for the whole space of the drive.

There is no advantage with an SSD. Partitioning a standard hard drive usually was done to keep the system partition close to the same area on the platter to reduce the time needed for the head to move around. With an SSD access time is the same for the whole space of the drive.

I have always partitioned the drives on all my systems
C - OS and programs
D - all data
E, F, etc., - photos, music, videos, extra downloads, etc. Different between a desktop with lots of drives and a one-drive (SSD) laptop.

The reason for this partitioning is that if/when Windows goes south, or I need to upgrade Windows, I don't have to worry about backing up my data. Also, I need to keep a copy of most of my data on both desktop and laptop systems, and having a separate partition makes this process much, much easier.

Back