Sheet of Glass TV That Leans Against The Wall

Dog decides to hide behind TV. Sheet of glass becomes many sheets of glass.

that's hot, shame it has so much glare though(or at least can massively see reflections)

yeh, and they need maybe 2 holes in it to actually mount it to wall so it doesn't fall and smash :p

With my three cats in the household, hell no!

It's beautiful, it's cool, but I'm not going to risk it with three cats in my house unless there is a damn good mount to the wall included with it.

Sidebar: Ever see a mirror TV?

At upscale hotels and suites on cruise ships, there are huge mirrors.
You point the remote at them, and they become HDTV's.

I can't wait til they implement these for the pc market - I keep thinking of the glass like monitors from the Avatar movie....mmm....3 borderless monitors for sli/eyefinity.

Cool idea but the picture looks terrible. Looks almost far to transparent as well , you toss in high noon day light and it probably washes out entirely.

When it comes to watching TV I think most people are concerned they can actually "watch" it during the day and not always how fashion forward it is.

I'm sure this costs a mint too. So while this might have a small place in the European market place where fashion often trumps anything else , I don't think your average consumer is going to be willing to fork over the extra cash for what amounts to a thin (sort of if you don't include the hump of electronics on its back) and ultimately under performing TV.

Yep, totally useless for a tech head, but we all know that some rich dudes will buy this set just because it looks cool when it's turned off. They might not even plug it in. :-O

They really need to do something about concealing the wiring... the clear glass on the bottom allows the wiring to be seen and completely ruins the "clean" design. (The Philips guys tried to minimize it by using WHITE wires with a white wall.)

The only part of it that's "glass thin" is the bottom where it's glass, but @ the display area there is an LED glued to the thick glass which makes it a little thicker than a typical computer LED monitor. Not impressed, and also it looks like it's always casting a shadow instead of only when you might want it for Ambiance. Another fine Failips product.

I want TVs that display video great, not TVs that look fancy when they're turned off.

I can't wait til they implement these for the pc market - I keep thinking of the glass like monitors from the Avatar movie....mmm....3 borderless monitors for sli/eyefinity.

I don't want to see the pile of wires and dust bunnies hidden behind my monitors.

1. Time to short those "oak armoires" another fifty bucks (that you see on craigslist all the time). Will the madness never end?

2. Gives new meaning to "Space Age Bachelor Pad". Now the only other furniture you need is plastic buckets for underwear and/or beer empties.

Looks messy to me. If it's not mounted flat to the wall, it looks like you were too lazy to do so.

Cool idea but the picture looks terrible. Looks almost far to transparent as well , you toss in high noon day light and it probably washes out entirely.

When it comes to watching TV I think most people are concerned they can actually "watch" it during the day and not always how fashion forward it is.

I'm sure this costs a mint too. So while this might have a small place in the European market place where fashion often trumps anything else , I don't think your average consumer is going to be willing to fork over the extra cash for what amounts to a thin (sort of if you don't include the hump of electronics on its back) and ultimately under performing TV.

Did you listen to what they were saying? It basically said we're targeting this at people who have money to burn and don't care what the picture looks like, as long as it looks cool sitting there.

In other words, this is designed for people who are rich enough that they can have a 5 or 6 figure TV that's just for show. This is designed from the start to be a status symbol. It's a Louis Vuitton purse for your living room, and it's going to be priced as such.

Did you listen to what they were saying? It basically said we're targeting this at people who have money to burn and don't care what the picture looks like, as long as it looks cool sitting there.

In other words, this is designed for people who are rich enough that they can have a 5 or 6 figure TV that's just for show. This is designed from the start to be a status symbol. It's a Louis Vuitton purse for your living room, and it's going to be priced as such.
Agreed. This strikes me more as a high-brow media art piece. I envision this thing playing David Bowie music videos at snooty cocktail parties with lots of big hair, white leather and blow...

I don't get it. This is a solution looking for a problem

I like it

Angled up slightly is nice to so that it's perpendicular to someone sitting in a chair.

Of course I would not just lean it againt the wall, I would affix it to the wall somehow where it leans.

yeh, and they need maybe 2 holes in it to actually mount it to wall so it doesn't fall and smash :p

Use mirror hardware to mount it on the wall. Looks light enough.

I'm wondering where all of the ports are on the thing. Can't hear the video, so if it's already mentioned, I don't know about it.

Two complaints though: the ambient border lights are too bright - hope there's the ability to dim it or turn it off. And there's a great deal of un-used glass panels on the lower half of the television.

Why not embed it into a wall?

I'm thinking replacing a window with this - or attaching it to a window from the inside to keep the elements off it. I dunno if it was mentioned in the video but would you be able to watch both sides of the panel?

Umm... I'm sure you can, but text would be backwards on one side.

Um, no you can't.

It's not transparent. It's a giant sheet of glass pasted on to a conventional LCD display to act both as the front glass to the display AND to act as the base. Only the part below the display is see-through.

Umm... I'm sure you can, but text would be backwards on one side.

I wasn't thinking text. I was thinking more of a fun display in the window. Maybe of a couple having sex or perhaps something that looks like the house is flooded or is on fire inside the window, lol

But someone below you answered my question, it's not transparent, so it's moot unless you like pointing your television out the window in the first place.

So they start by saying "without a frame, and no stand" yet the end result product is a frame and a stand... granted the bezel is small sure, and the stand is basically a really long flat sheet... but what's wrong with that? If you can make something like that I would just want it mounted to the wall, then no worries about accidentally kicking the TV :D

is a TV supposed to cast light around the edges onto the wall behind it?

I prefer my screens clean cut, no radiance

I agree with the general consensus. It's definitely cool, but I wouldn't want one. Seems like an accident waiting to happen and the picture doesn't look that great.

Great peice of engineering, hung on the wall would be nice, but as you all said, placed on the slippy wooden floor with rabid dogs running around it, not so good. But I like the direction the design is going in.

Indeed I did. But if they want to bother making any money on it EVER they will have to change things. I did actually say it'll have a small presence on the European market place because of its fashion forward design (guess you didn't read that part of my post..).

And with Samsung releasing their OLED TV this year with its incredibly impressive thin profile and massively impressive picture , you'll probably have those same fashion concerned types going for something that can actually lay flat against a wall instead of like some thin sheet with a black blob of electronics glued onto its back.

Betting some of that glare isn't actually coming from the panel itself, it's bleed-through at the top and side edges of the glass pane. A simple dark, non-reflective coating around the edges would stop most of that.

not edge bleeding, glare, I am sure you know difference, as do I, hence why I brought it up, generally like a shiny screen vs matte screen, matte generally much better for darks shinny usually better for brights(sans the glare/reflections if you have to much ambient light)

Back