NVIDIA on Tomb Raider Performance Issues

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
NVIDIA has acknowledged a problem with performance of GeForce graphics cards and Tomb Raider. NVIDIA puts the responsibility squarely back on the developer, Crystal Dynamics, for delaying the final game code until last week for the coding issues which affect performance.

NVIDIA is working on driver optimizations to enhance performance, but adds that Crystal Dynamics will have to make some code changes as well to fix all issues on GeForce GPUs.

Well worth it, best new game I've played in a while. It's one of those games that combines an entertaining story with gameplay that is really fun. I'm about 6-8 hours in, whenever I have time to play, this is what I've been playing.

Great game even with some details turned down so its playable on nvidia its still amazing to watch and play. I really want to see these issues fixed soon.

Makes me curious though: What kind of code would make this perform less on Nvidia than on AMD?

If it's all DirectX, DirectCompute, and all the jazz, wouldn't one expect each card run the game to the best of their own capability in terms of DirectX performance?

They're all DirectX compatible cards, what would make one perform poorly over the other?

Makes me curious though: What kind of code would make this perform less on Nvidia than on AMD?

If it's all DirectX, DirectCompute, and all the jazz, wouldn't one expect each card run the game to the best of their own capability in terms of DirectX performance?

They're all DirectX compatible cards, what would make one perform poorly over the other?

Combination of them not being able to issue optimazations in drivers and terrible Compute performance.

I'll take that as a good and to the point answer.

The performance will improve as much as AMD cards do with driver improvements, the lack of final code is primarily a response to the CTD's and general game breaking bugs. I wouldn't be suprised if nvidia cards perform the same or better than AMD cards when TressFX is disabled.

Just tried the patch and I still get game crashes unless Tessellation is disabled (314.07). Game runs fine with Tessellation disabled (as it did with original game version). Something still not right. I'm running maxed settings with the exception of Tessellation off, DOF off, Post Processing off, TressFx on.

What in the world is so unfixable that CD themselves have to patch the engine?

Doing something one way may be fast for AMD, but NV hardware / drivers might prefer it happening another. You're doing the same thing, just doing it differently. It's not unusual for the hardware vendors to get involved with big name releases and engines to help get a fast code path for their hardware working.

I would most likely also have performace issues with Lara Croft. I'm sure she can be quiet intimidating.

I would most likely also have performace issues with Lara Croft. I'm sure she can be quiet intimidating.

Performance anxiety much? ;)

Seriously though, the issues are when you try to run the advanced DX11 features. This game was made to run on consoles too.

There' s a really actualy a big fix for this on Guru3d.com forums . You have to get 311.06 driver and this is only possible by these steps I'm.provide next . .
1. You have to unistall all nvidia programs for unistall programs . Will take multiple boots
2.when you see you system is running the STANDARD DRIVER Go to windows updates and get the wdm driver that's from 3-2-2013 .
3. You will be missing you phys and hdmki audio driver . Download 314.10 and uncompress file with winrar there's a fold for physics and hdmi audio
4.Enjoy Tomb Raider

There' s a really actualy a big fix for this on Guru3d.com forums . You have to get 311.06 driver and this is only possible by these steps I'm.provide next . .
1. You have to unistall all nvidia programs for unistall programs . Will take multiple boots
2.when you see you system is running the STANDARD DRIVER Go to windows updates and get the wdm driver that's from 3-2-2013 .
3. You will be missing you phys and hdmki audio driver . Download 314.10 and uncompress file with winrar there's a fold for physics and hdmi audio
4.Enjoy Tomb Raider

If your going to do all those just to have the game play right, you my as well do this fix instead:
1) Buy AMD card.
2) Uninstall Nvidia card.
3) Install AMD card.
4) Enjoy Tomb Raider.

I'm not going through all that. The game plays fine with Tessellation disabled. I don't even think I'm going to be able to tell any difference between it disabled and enabled anyway when playing. Haven't seen any comparison screen shots at all.

How in the world would someone figure that out for nvidia users? Specifically the Windows Update method then decompressing the rest of the files lol, who does that.

I'm not sticking up for nvidia , I'm just saying if you are a user there is a way to get the game running smoothly does it suck yes , do I like the way no . . Just trying to help

If you want to fix most of the issues (save for the random pause bug), just use nvidia inspector to delete the Tomb Raider 2013 profile, then add the tombraider.exe to the Hitman Absolution profile.

Worked for me, was able to play without any crashing whatsoever. Beat the game a few days ago.

Anyways nvidia's fault haha just wondering how much would this be nvidia's fault if you switch the placement of the names nvidia and amd

You mean AMD might be doing to Nvidia what Nvidia has always done to AMD in the past? I wonder if they regret firing the first shot, now that all major consoles and even the Valve's SteamBox will be AMD based.

Just bought the game last night and its quite good, though there are numerous issues when running this game on my GTX 670, TressFX doesn't seem to work for me at all, it will crash regardless of what settings I use. And also, I'm getting graphic quality decrease when alt tabbing or when the game reloads at a save checkpoint which is annoying.

Looks to me AMD has learned from nvidia's dirty playbook.

Or AMD finally took the time to actually help the game developers while Nvidia forgot it.

I find it surprising that people are up in raves over a game having some bugs on Nvidia hardware at launch.
We have seen this a often on AMD hardware, now it just happens to be Nvidia.
Wait for a game patch + driver update or two and everything will be fine.

Has anyone played this game? Was wondering if it's worth picking up.

There is a huge thread in the gaming section on this game. Lots of us are playing it. Most everyone agrees it is quite excellent.

Just beat it the other day. Ran it maxed out with tessellation and TressFX and didn't experience a SINGLE issue or crash. Game was fucking rock solid for me.

And to think that this was most anticipated game so far this year and I just got my 7970 a few weeks ago after selling my GTX 580. Coincidence or an act of God? :p

Nothing dirty about it. AMD's been pretty aggressive lately about partnering up with devs, this is a good thing.

They didn't do anything dirty, it seems that Nvidia super duper uber drivers which is what you buy the videocard for (maybe someone wants to link a certain article where is this explained in detail?) have some problems when it comes to compute and tessellation at the same time.

I'd like to see some comparison screenshots from this game Tessellation on and off. The game plays fine for me with Tessellation off (crashes with it on) and I'd like to see if I'm missing anything.

Got the game working without crashing *knock on wood* on the 314.21 beta driver, with Tessellation and TressFX on.

Hmm, haven't tried those but they are not getting positive posts over at Geforce forums. Crashing issues seem to persist with Tessellation on.

I ended up uninstalling the driver (I had upgraded to 314.21, but forgot to check Clean Install), ran Driver Sweeper, and reinstalled 314.21 clean. I was crashing inside of 5 minutes with 314.07, and the non-clean install of 314.21 let me play for about 10 minutes without crashing. With the clean install of 314.21, I haven't had a crash yet.

Mind you, I only have a single Asux GTX680-DC2-4GD5 installed, playing at 1920x1080.

Back