Age of Empires II HD Coming to Steam on April 9th

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Steam will be the exclusive host of Age of Empires II HD beginning on April 9th with pre-orders enabled to begin play on April 5th. The remastered version of the Microsoft 1999 release will support 1080p monitors and operating systems from XP on up.

This would be my fourth version of the game so far once this is released.

I have the original release copy, the AoE 1 and 2 bundle, and the Game for Windows Live version.

Going to pick it up - I wish they would support 2500 x 1600 resolution.

AoE2 was an addiction during the dot.com days. We would have LAN parties at work and play the heck out of it. I could be tempted to buy it just for the nostalgia.

(Rise of Nations is still *the* best RTS)

AoE2 was an addiction during the dot.com days. We would have LAN parties at work and play the heck out of it. I could be tempted to buy it just for the nostalgia.

(Rise of Nations is still *the* best RTS)

I love Rise of Nations. Friends and I have played that to death over LAN, including AoE 2.

Great times, man, great times.

Rise of Nations did a lot of things right in making a compelling, fun and challenging RTS. I should find my copy and see if it'll run on my Win 8 system. AoE 2 from GFWL runs very well still after all these years. :D

My friend and I have spent countless hours in AoE2. The HD version didn't look any different then I remember it though. I guess it's the 1920x1080 support that they're touting.

haha those textures meant to be displayed on 640x480 displays should look AMAZING at 1080p :D

haha those textures meant to be displayed on 640x480 displays should look AMAZING at 1080p :D

Not if they only upscale them.. then you get very big pixels. Not sure if they're redoing them though

Supreme Commander spoiled me, I can't play most RTS now because I can't stand not being able to zoom out far enough.

I hope this one supports 1440p and resolutions beyond, it would be disappointing if it just supported 1080p max only, I loved this game when I first played it. The Teutonic Knights were my favourite units in the game.

I hope they do a Rise of Nations one. It's still an excellent game. Even the expansion was cool.

I recently reinstalled AoE II. As in, about three days ago. The moment I found out about this I preordered it. Unlike some games from my childhood that I look at with nostalgia glasses only to find them lacking, AoE II really is as great as I remember it.

My friends and I have continued to play this game over the last 3-4 years with the help of GameRanger. Now I won't have to stare at purple water when playing on my Win7 machine!

I hope they do a Rise of Nations one. It's still an excellent game. Even the expansion was cool.

DEFINITELY!

I would love to see one with upgraded textures. I remember playing that game at 1280x1024 on my older computer. Lol!

Back