Hackers Pull Off $12,000 Bitcoin Heist

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who steals Bitcoin? Well, besides hackers, who risks jail for $12k in Bitcoin?

A Bitcoin transaction services company says that hackers broke into one of its brokerage accounts last week, nabbing more than $12,000 worth of the digital currency. That attack knocked Bitinstant offline over the weekend. The company says that while it lost Bitcoins, no customers were affected by the hack.

I once stole $1200 from the bank in monopoly and nobody was the wiser

I kid, I kid.

I don't get why people want to buy into this crap. Bitcoins almost seem like Theme Park Dollars that aren't accepted by any of the shops at the theme park you just bought them from.

I don't get why people want to buy into this crap. Bitcoins almost seem like Theme Park Dollars that aren't accepted by any of the shops at the theme park you just bought them from.

Unlike the theme park though, they can be earned and exchanged into real money at a great value. A couple days ago Bitcoins were going for 49 dollars at the exchange. I could mine (before the difficulty increase) a bitcoin every 5-6 days if I could dedicate my system to do it. I would profit about $220 dollars a month after cost of electricity.

So...why would people buy into this...well, assuming you already have the hardware to do it, its basically free money for doing nothing...free money that isn't tracked by any government so what you earn is what you get.

Let me also add that this is using GPUs for mining....ASICs are coming out that make GPU mining obsolete and cost a lot less to do a lot more.

assuming you already have the hardware to do it, its basically free money for doing nothing...free money that isn't tracked by any government so what you earn is what you get.
No it isn't. You have to pay your power bill to support your venture. It runs on 100% GPU usage.

Tried to buy some bitcoins the other day and simply gave up.

Yep, but once you put a value on something, and you could exchange it to real money, nobody cares aslong they get their money.

I can't figure how people incessantly bash Apple customers on this forum yet tolerate bitcoiners

I know a libertarian who wants to return to the gold standard so "money has real value" who is obsessed with bitcoins

I think the whole idea is retarded. Why use a currency that is extremely limited and will eventually run out?

I guess part of the reason for this currency is anonymity. Some of the items being traded are likely harmless, and should be legal anyway. Other stuff... is illegal, and should remain so. Bitcoin is the currency used for these transactions (generally on the nether realms of the web - not sure if that's allowable discussion topic, but I'd avoid going there unless you have a good reason. That said, I've never been down that road...made of silk).

Pyramid scheme is...pyramidal?

Money for nothing and chicks for free?

Pfft.

Dream on.

Pfft.

Dream on.

Hey i have payed for 3 6950s and a full 3930k build and a bunch of stuff for my shimp tank all thanks to them. I made colse to 3g after power bills and if i sold off every last one right now il have about $3500 more so not bad for just leaving my pc on. What sucks is i sold 100 when they where $3 not to long ago:( so yes it is free money as i wanted a kick ass gaming rig anway

I have been using my geforce titan to make some bitcoins....

Nobody stole them yet after 3 days.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to look at it this way. Bitcoins cost money to generate by using electricity. Turn it off, save electricity, and buy whatever the fuck you want with your saved money.

Other than all the hacking that is linked to bitcoins, that is the main reason I don't participate.

Just so folks know

Half the trolls on here decrying bitcoin as a scam are actually miners trying to fend you off to keep difficulty low.

Fine, yeah, stay away from bitcoin, lol, total scam/pyramid/ponzi, never amount to anything, no real value, blablabla.

I really don't think this "internet" thing is really going to catch on either.

Just so folks know

Half the trolls on here decrying bitcoin as a scam are actually miners trying to fend you off to keep difficulty low.

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers.jpg

Pfft.

Dream on.

Are you saying this is a pyramid scheme?

Do you know what a pyramid scheme is?

Do you know how bitcoins work?

There is oodles.. maybe gobs? moon-high pile of ignorance about bit coins I think its more accurate.

Just 2 things, Bit coins are de-centrilized.
It does not matter how many there are in the end.. its a computer program just add spaces after the decimal point.
Unlike a precious metal where there is a limit to how much you can split it ( I am aware you can mix it yes) Bit coins have not limit.
I am fully expecting governments to start to ban bitcoins if they take more root.
USA was looking into it already.. for security, you know think of the children!.

It's pretty obvious most of you guys aren't aware that in Europe, Bitcoins are the standard currency used in the black market, even replacing the dollar. It's decentralized, hard to trace, anonymous, and let me tell you; the things you can get from the black market are CHEAP and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking incredible.

It's pretty obvious most of you guys aren't aware that in Europe, Bitcoins are the standard currency used in the black market, even replacing the dollar. It's decentralized, hard to trace, anonymous, and let me tell you; the things you can get from the black market are CHEAP and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking incredible.

We all know bitcoins are used to purchase stolen goods.

it's, you know, one of those new open source, decentralized pyramid schemes

I think they are the worst kind

Back