Leave Six Strikes Alone!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Techgage has an editorial posted today called "Leave Six Strikes Alone!" The article is actually defending the six strikes program so I can imagine how popular it will be with many of you. ;)

Six Strikes is live in the US, and the Internet is full of its usual rage. Rather than jump in swinging with both fists, Brett set down his editorial pen to let some truths come out before grabbing his own pitchfork and torch. With a little more knowledge and less gut reaction, he jumps to the defense of Six Strikes as the abused pop star that he feels it is.

Honestly, I hope to see big improvements in my available bandwidth with this program. I have some neighbor or neighbors who keep hogging all the bandwidth in the evenings and much of the weekends. It increases my latency to online games during the times I like to play. I couldn't even play STO at all this past weekend because my latency (Comcast cable, supposedly 30Mb, usually around 60ms latency) was up to 500+ms constantly. Get the bandwidth hogs off and stop them from uploading and downloading illegal copies of movies and music and we'll have decent internet service.

While the hogging may be illegal downloading, it may also be people streaming movies and videos from legal sources. That won't change anything with this law.

I've never had an issue with network performance at any hour of the day. Maybe my neighbors don't do much but I always get the advertised speeds with low latency.

Honestly, I hope to see big improvements in my available bandwidth with this program. I have some neighbor or neighbors who keep hogging all the bandwidth in the evenings and much of the weekends. It increases my latency to online games during the times I like to play. I couldn't even play STO at all this past weekend because my latency (Comcast cable, supposedly 30Mb, usually around 60ms latency) was up to 500+ms constantly. Get the bandwidth hogs off and stop them from uploading and downloading illegal copies of movies and music and we'll have decent internet service.

Or maybe Comcast could invest some of the billions of dollars in profit it makes into actual infrastructure upgrades rather than yachts for their executives.

Call Tier 3 support and demand that they split your node. You certainly are paying for it.

How dare they use the service they've paid for! :/

Wow, they've done a really good job of fooling you in to blaming the other customers than their inadequate infrastructure for what they are selling.

I read the first bit as:
"Leave Six Strikes Alone"
Techgarbage has an editorial....

Too many people on one exchange, or the STO server you were on was getting high traffic.

Or maybe Comcast could invest some of the billions of dollars in profit it makes into actual infrastructure upgrades rather than yachts for their executives.

Call Tier 3 support and demand that they split your node. You certainly are paying for it.

And make sure you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, it may be one of the channels doesn't have enough bandwidth for you and your neighbors but you're more likely to find the bandwidth you need if you're connected to 4 or even 8 channels, load balancing by modem count or average load only goes so far for DOCSIS 2.0 modems (and heaven help if you only have a 1.x modem)

Honestly, I hope to see big improvements in my available bandwidth with this program. I have some neighbor or neighbors who keep hogging all the bandwidth in the evenings and much of the weekends.
Have you looked at your ISPs numbers for last year? Most ISPs have very healthy profit margins, and if you have a crappy network then they need to invest in upgrading it. Its as simple as that.

The future is video streaming (legitimate legal), especially with the influx of smart-TVs, and you need a network that can support that.

So if you adopt this "we have to be frugal with our internet tubez, its not a dump truck" mindset, you're screwing yourself and future generations up.

Well...I know this was emailed to Steve, and he seems to never have [posted it:

There are NEVER false positives with this asinine system:

Six Strikes Firm Flags Game Mods as Copyright Violations
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Six-Strikes-Firm-Flags-Game-Mods-as-Copyright-Violations-123368

It's not even really a false positive because that implies that it wasn't deliberate.

Six Strikes allows anyone who knows your IP address/e-mail/account name to send an "infringement notice" upon which you are guilty until proven innocent by paying their fee. The possibilities for harassing people with this system are nearly unlimited; if you say something bad about the RIAA, they need merely to make up some bogus copyright infringement claim to cause grief.

i read the article in full.
he adds a + at the beginning a - at the end and a bunch of 0s inbetween so it adds up to shit.

Obligatory:

leave-britney-alone.jpg

Question: Has anyone here actually seen any of these "strikes" yet? Just curious.

I thought that game died a horrible death. My brother bought into the $250 deal or something and then gave up when it went nowhere.

It's actually improved significantly in the last 6 months, but the "season 7" patch screwed a lot of things up with some asinine reputation system. It's still far better than it was, though.

I have no sympathy for someone that won't pay a dollar for some drake song.

However we all know that Six Strikes is a joke. Get a VPN and or a proxy and that's it. It solves none of the real problem and forces useless ISP's to patrol their network and possibly piss off a customer enough to go else where.

Useless law is useless.

And make sure you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, it may be one of the channels doesn't have enough bandwidth for you and your neighbors but you're more likely to find the bandwidth you need if you're connected to 4 or even 8 channels, load balancing by modem count or average load only goes so far for DOCSIS 2.0 modems (and heaven help if you only have a 1.x modem)

Actually, I do have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem: http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-5341-DOCSIS-Cable-Modem/dp/B003VWXYUC

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I can tell you the same thing others have. I worked for Comcast at one point and the only customers who had similar service issues were those on an overloaded node. Of course adding another costs big money and why do that if the customers sit there content with a fraction of he service they subscibe for while still getting a full monthly payment from you.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have no sympathy for someone that won't pay a dollar for some drake song.

However we all know that Six Strikes is a joke. Get a VPN and or a proxy and that's it. It solves none of the real problem and forces useless ISP's to patrol their network and possibly piss off a customer enough to go else where.

Useless law is useless.

Don't think it was meant for the tech savy like yourself.

I am going to upload a ton of stuff to Dropbox and other servers with titles like Avengers.avi, Iron_Man.avi but have it my personal home videos. Then, make some nice audio files of me talking and call them Drakes_New_CD (or whatever) and upload them. Get me a few of those notices and then go to court. Show them the files that were uploaded and downloaded.

I wonder how that would go? I wonder if it was done on a larger scale, if the courts would start just throwing the cases out... All theoretical, of course. I wouldn't do that unless it would make a difference. Waste the time of the RIAA/MPAA and the court system, tie up the ISP's to where they tell the RIAA/MPAA to find a different way because their current methods are too vulnerable to mistakes. Simple mistakes.

I am going to upload a ton of stuff to Dropbox and other servers with titles like Avengers.avi, Iron_Man.avi but have it my personal home videos. Then, make some nice audio files of me talking and call them Drakes_New_CD (or whatever) and upload them. Get me a few of those notices and then go to court. Show them the files that were uploaded and downloaded.

I wonder how that would go?

Read your service agreement. Your ISP is allowed to terminate it at any time for any reason. If you could show the ISP that the notices were indeed mistaken then they might restore your services but I'm not sure where you think going to court would take you.

Read your service agreement. Your ISP is allowed to terminate it at any time for any reason. If you could show the ISP that the notices were indeed mistaken then they might restore your services but I'm not sure where you think going to court would take you.
Pain and suffering... Internet is a right, and I just spilled some coffee on my lap, I need millions of dollars!

Court battle against the person that claimed copyright infringement. They want to process a DCMA claim? Let them. File names don't mean the content is infringing. I'm not talking about the court battle with ISP. That is meaningless. But, to send multiple DCMA infringement notices with no valid infringement? RIAA/MPAA take people to court all the time. That's where I was talking about. ISP can do whatever they want and terminate for no reason at all. RIAA/MPAA can't just sue you for download a file with a name of Avengers.avi. The file name isn't enough to get a conviction. I guess at the least, it'd make their automated systems worthless, as they would have to download the file, too, and verify it was in fact the infringing content.

ahahahahaha.

Court battle against the person that claimed copyright infringement. They want to process a DCMA claim? Let them. File names don't mean the content is infringing. I'm not talking about the court battle with ISP. That is meaningless. But, to send multiple DCMA infringement notices with no valid infringement? RIAA/MPAA take people to court all the time. That's where I was talking about. ISP can do whatever they want and terminate for no reason at all. RIAA/MPAA can't just sue you for download a file with a name of Avengers.avi. The file name isn't enough to get a conviction. I guess at the least, it'd make their automated systems worthless, as they would have to download the file, too, and verify it was in fact the infringing content.

Sounds like an entertaining idea.

Pain and suffering... Internet is a right, and I just spilled some coffee on my lap, I need millions of dollars!

Don't compare this to someone receiving 3rd degree burns deemed to be the result of faulty cup lids that the company using them knew about yet still used.

Court battle against the person that claimed copyright infringement.

So you're going to spend money and try to prove damages? Good luck with that.

RIAA/MPAA can't just sue you for download a file with a name of Avengers.avi. The file name isn't enough to get a conviction.

That's why they're *not* suing you for that. They're notifying the ISP that you're infringing. That's not a DMCA notice. As far as I'm aware, ISP's are going along with this six-strikes system by choice and not because the law is forcing them to.

If you want to turn around and sue the person who sent the notices(you'll probably never actually be able to find out exactly who that was), go for it. You'll accomplish nothing and waste a lot of your own time and money doing it, but feel free.

Don't compare this to someone receiving 3rd degree burns deemed to be the result of faulty cup lids that the company using them knew about yet still used.

So you're going to spend money and try to prove damages? Good luck with that.

That's why they're *not* suing you for that. They're notifying the ISP that you're infringing. That's not a DMCA notice. As far as I'm aware, ISP's are going along with this six-strikes system by choice and not because the law is forcing them to.

If you want to turn around and sue the person who sent the notices(you'll probably never actually be able to find out exactly who that was), go for it. You'll accomplish nothing and waste a lot of your own time and money doing it, but feel free.

Yup. The whole "Six Strikes" system is intentionally devoid of actual laws...and therefore any kind of due process.

Shouldn't the group of people who are sending these notices be available for contact?

Yup. The whole "Six Strikes" system is intentionally devoid of actual laws...and therefore any kind of due process.

Except that Six Strikes is a private thing so constitutional protections do not apply. The only way you can make the ISPs stop is through a civil case. Any appeal to any copyright flag is done privately outside of the court system which if that fails, a person can then take it to an appropriate venue or state/federal court that has jurisdiction to hear the case.

Shouldn't the group of people who are sending these notices be available for contact?

LMAO. Why? You still thinking about this as if it involves any kind of courts or laws or due process.

Quit thinking with any sense of ethics...and it will make more sense.

Why would the ISP want to give you that information? If they choose to, and if their contract with the people who are allowed to use this system permits it, then they might. I just have a feeling that when you receive the notice from your ISP it's going to say what the notice said you were downloading but not who sent it. Do you just sue the copyright holder of that item? It's your money to waste.

Why would the ISP want to give you that information? If they choose to, and if their contract with the people who are allowed to use this system permits it, then they might. I just have a feeling that when you receive the notice from your ISP it's going to say what the notice said you were downloading but not who sent it. Do you just sue the copyright holder of that item? It's your money to waste.

Wrong!

So what you guys are saying is, since there's no laws or courts involved, I can just download/upload whatever I want, get all six strikes, get disconnected from Comcast, and move on to a better ISP option anyway, without risk of being sued by the RIAA/MPAA because, of course, "no laws or courts" are involved?

Doesn't really sound like a huge loss to me. :D

So what you guys are saying is, since there's no laws or courts involved, I can just download/upload whatever I want, get all six strikes, get disconnected from Comcast, and move on to a better ISP option anyway, without risk of being sued by the RIAA/MPAA because, of course, "no laws or courts" are involved?

What I'm saying is that unless and until the RIAA actually sues you, you have no reason to go to court over this. If the RIAA has a private agreement with your ISP that your ISP will disconnect you if the RIAA tells them you've been a naughty boy six times, that's between the RIAA, your ISP and you. Tell your ISP you don't like it, but taking them to court is going to waste a much larger percentage of your own time and money than it will of theirs.

If you want to move to another ISP anyway, then go for it I guess. Of course there's no reason the RIAA "can't" sue you because of this agreement. The RIAA would prefer to do things this way because it's cheaper and easier for them, not because they can't still sue people.

Back