Video Games Are Good For Old People

HardOCP News

[H] News
More proof that video games are not only good for you when you are a kid, but they also keep depression at bay when you are older.

The study found that participants who played video games, including those who only played occasionally, reported higher levels of well-being. Those who did not play video games reported more negative emotions and a tendency toward higher levels of depression.

What kinds of games do old people play?

"Coupon ninja"? "Lecture Hero" ?

Well, if you can consider me old at 67, I have the Half-Life series, Farcry, Farcry2, Fallout 3, and Fallout:Nv on my system that I play. I was very active in IL2 for a number of years as well.

You kids shouldn't underestimate us old farts, because our experience and treachery is more than a match for your youth and skill :D:D:D

Yeah, right.

A lot of elderly people are terrified of technology.
I remember we hooked up a VCR to my grandmothers TV once. The blinking light on it freaked her out and she made us take it off.

These types of correlations usually turn out to be weak and spurious (not statistically significant at the 95% level). I have not looked at this "study", but I'm betting the data is all self-reported which is notoriously inaccurate. I can think of all kinds of confounding variables, but were any of these controlled for? Probably not.

Move on, nothing to see here.

A few Quake duels a day keep the arthritis away.

These types of correlations usually turn out to be weak and spurious (not statistically significant at the 95% level). I have not looked at this "study", but I'm betting the data is all self-reported which is notoriously inaccurate. I can think of all kinds of confounding variables, but were any of these controlled for? Probably not.

Move on, nothing to see here.

I've not read this specific one, but there have been studies that showed keeping one's mind active helped prevent dementia and possibly even Alzheimers. Video games are the modern way of doing this, in the past it was crossword puzzles, mystery books, mystery TV shows, gameshows, etc. The world's changing, and a lot of us are gonna die with at least 1 game currently downloading :D

OMG.... it's gotten worst. We'll have old people killing now! And they've got nothing to lose!

Well, if you can consider me old at 67, I have the Half-Life series, Farcry, Farcry2, Fallout 3, and Fallout:Nv on my system that I play. I was very active in IL2 for a number of years as well.

You kids shouldn't underestimate us old farts, because our experience and treachery is more than a match for your youth and skill :D:D:D

Old is in the mind son. Nothing more. :)

This is just a preview of what it will be like when my generation and below gets classified as "old" ... as a child of the 70's/80's I was raised during the birth of video games ... there are a lot more gamers in my generation and the ones that came after then in the current and previous generations ... if we actually do get to retire, then gaming will likely still be a big part of the hobbies we fill our days with when we don't have work and kids to give us competing priorities ;)

Back