ADATA SX900 128GB SSD Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ADATA SX900 128GB SSD Review - The ADATA SX900 128GB SSD came to us with a surprise under the hood, the new B02 version of the SandForce SF-2281 controller. This new stepping is designed to provide revolutionary improvements in power efficiency with no loss of speed. We test the SX900 and the SF-2281VB2-SPC controller to see how it stacks up against the competition.

LOL. No trim? How does an SSD even ship without trim support?

Ouch. Sounds like ADATA needs to man the fuck up and offer proper support.

I'm trying hard to remember seeing a "FAIL" outside of PSU reviews.... drawing a blank wow.

My take in the last 3-4 months of SSD reviews:
A) Want a cheap drive, get a Kingston V300.
B) Want a good drive, get a Samsung 840 Pro.

Does that about sum it up?

I predict a new "ADATA Rep" signs up to HardForums and provide a link to a firmware update after that review. ;)

I actually contacted Adata, since I have the 256GB version of this drive. They actually responded to me within 30 minutes.

"Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting ADATA USA.

The TRIM issue is caused by the firmware update, there will be an official Firmware Update by the end of the month on our site. We have been given authority to release early firm update to select customers at this time. Please provide the last 5 digits of drive signature, and a screenshot of the field updater to provide you with the firmware.

Best Regards,

Signature"

Holy shit.. I cant remember ever seeing a product flat out FAIL in a [H] review..

Not surprising the SX900 failed given ADATA's support history. Doesn't affect me anywho as I only buy Crucial, Samsung and Corsair SSDs anyways.

Rally nice review HardOCP! This kind of calling a spade, a spade is what I love about this place.

I hope this puts people of of these types of companies that prey off customers that are only chasing the bottom Dollar, instead of making true and informed decisions.

Well done to HardOCP

^Thing is is that you can get better drives and customer service at a lower price than adata.

I love the big red FAIL. I'm glad someone out there - not surprised it's the [H] - has the balls to come out and say it. I know what I'll not be looking at when I go shopping for an SSD. Keep up the good work H crew.

Remember buying a 256MB SD card from them back in the day. Weren't reliable then so I avoided them from there on. Good to see it still holding true today. Shocked to see them still in business though:eek:

Remember buying a 256MB SD card from them back in the day. Weren't reliable then so I avoided them from there on. Good to see it still holding true today. Shocked to see them still in business though:eek:

Now that you mentioned it, I bought an ADATA 8GB pico style usb thumb drive back in '09 that took a dump after 1 week. I never RMA'd it since shipping would have ended up being more than what I payed for it in the first place...and I've never considered another ADATA branded product since.

Adata make their money off selling cheap RAM, which works about as well as what you pay for it. Would never buy their stuff.

I am so out of the loop. I did not know what trim was up until today. I've had this drive since dec/2012 and it works fine. it's quite fast. Could always upgrade to a better model.

I am so out of the loop. I did not know what trim was up until today. I've had this drive since dec/2012 and it works fine. it's quite fast. Could always upgrade to a better model.

Yeah it is quite fast, my 256GB version is as fast as my 240GB HyperX 3k that I have in my HTPC and actually is faster with write speeds. If you are concerned, contact Adata and they will send you the new firmware that fixes the TRIM issue. They emailed it to me on Friday.

Back