Video Games Take Aim At Dyslexia

HardOCP News

[H] News
.dyslexia with people help games Video !news Good :D

“These results are clear enough to say that action video games are able to improve reading abilities in children with dyslexia,” Facoetti says. Although the new study includes only 20 children with dyslexia, its results build on earlier evidence that many poor readers have difficulty focusing on items within arrays, Facoetti holds. By strengthening the ability to monitor central and peripheral objects in chaotic scenes, he says, action video games give kids with dyslexia a badly needed tool for tracking successive letters in written words.

what about adults? I'd like to say that I'm getting dyslexic more so then senile as I get old :D

But, but...

I thought that video games turned kids into gun-wielding monsters that shot up schools with guns and wore long trench coats, and, and...

what about adults? I'd like to say that I'm getting dyslexic more so then senile as I get old :D

I'm convinced that I have some form adulthood typing dyslexia :p

The number of times a completely different word or backwards sentence comes out when I'm typing every day is almost concerning.

Master [H];1039671645 said:
But, but...

I thought that video games turned kids into gun-wielding monsters that shot up schools with guns and wore long trench coats, and, and...

But these kids can read better now ;)

But, but...

Now that AD&D has been banned, that's no longer an issue.

But, but...

They do! But now, those gun wielding monsters can read better, had they had dyslexia!

But, but...

Uh oh, we can expect more real world gun violence now that video game influenced killers will be able to read the street signs leading them to their various destinations.

But, but...

Video games are responsible for everything bad.

that period before dyslexia is totally causing my OCD to flare up.

I read this a few days ago... This actually might be interesting, but the study needs a much bigger sample size to be meaningful.

I read this a few days ago... This actually might be interesting, but the study needs a much bigger sample size to be meaningful.

That will probably come next, I imagine. Dyslexia is pretty common, but it often goes undiagnosed, and it may have been harder to find a larger willing sample without a broader and more expensive search. Actually, I think the most interesting thing about this study is the implications regarding the likely cause and nature of dyslexia...

well it is clear that now that video game articles can go either way...

Could they make one saying that gun shooters had dyslexia until they started playing video games, and after their dyslexia was gone, they when out to kill people?

That will probably come next, I imagine. Dyslexia is pretty common, but it often goes undiagnosed, and it may have been harder to find a larger willing sample without a broader and more expensive search. Actually, I think the most interesting thing about this study is the implications regarding the likely cause and nature of dyslexia...

Very much agree on the under diagnosed unfortunately... I've seen too many children prescribed ritalin which later is properly re-diagnosed as dyslexia... That is really a sad situation for the child, and parents to go through.

If you are interested, outside of research papers, an easy and informative book to read, (which was quite unexpected) is "The Dyslexic Advantage" gives a great picture of what dyslexia is.

Back