Dell s2740L vs hp 2711x

zbg31610

n00b
So I am looking for a monitor for gaming. It will be hooked up to my playstation via hdmi for the most part.

I have seen hp's 2511x and it looks good so I'm sure I wouldn't go wrong with the 2711x. However I have been eying the dell s2740l as it is an ips monitor. It is very glossy and I do not mind that. I know some people complain about ghosting on cheap Ips panels but from what I have read, the ghosting on this monitor is non existent or at worst, only noticeable if you actually make it your mission to hunt for it.

So what I really want is image quality and the saturation and vibrancy of colors to be the best I can get. SO does anyone have any first hand experience with one or both or does anyone else have a better suggestion for no more than $300?

HP 27xi is IPS, get that instead of the 2711x which uses a TN panel. The ghosting on the S2740L is really obvious compared to most other modern monitors.

Thanks I completely missed that monitor. Plus it's glossy which is something I was having trouble finding in a 27 inch ips. Now I will just wait for a sale...

The ghosting on the S2740L is really obvious compared to most other modern monitors.

It really isn't that noticeable but please keep making it seem like more of a problem than it really is.

HP 27xi is IPS, get that instead of the 2711x which uses a TN panel. The ghosting on the S2740L is really obvious compared to most other modern monitors.

I don't notice any ghosting while playing games.

Yeah I think I am going to go with the dell after all. I really like glossy screens and the review of the hp 27xi says that the antiglare on it almost eliminates the effect of a glossy screen. And like the other two said the ghosting isn't bad. Thanks for your input

As long as you don't mind the gloss i'm sure you'll be happy with it. I have it pointed away from any windows and it looks fantastic during the day and even better at night. I went with the S27 because I can't stand grainy antiglare coating.

It really isn't that noticeable but please keep making it seem like more of a problem than it really is.

I wouldn't agree with that.

I've got a Dell 2740L. The overshoot is downright horrible on games and scenes bright images on dark backgrounds. It absolutely destroys detail while creating a black outline over images...A lot of the time it reminds me of an image with a sharpening filter just jacked that crushes and destroys graphic detail.

If you don't notice it, consider yourself lucky. Once I started noticing it, I can see it everywhere there's a bright image while a medium dark image behind it, you'll see a black outline just trail behind movement.

Yeah I think I am going to go with the dell after all. I really like glossy screens and the review of the hp 27xi says that the antiglare on it almost eliminates the effect of a glossy screen. And like the other two said the ghosting isn't bad. Thanks for your input

I saw that comment in the CNET review.

It doesn't make much sense. The review says that there's a lot of glare. The pictures show a nice amount of glare. Then goes on to say that there's a heavy amount of AG coating. One of those statements can not be correct. If it's as glossy as the photos show, then it doesn't have a heavy amount of AG coating... Otherwise it wouldn't be glossy and have glare.

Back