Ouya Ships To Kickstarter Backers Next Month

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are a backer of the Ouya Kickstarter, your console will ship March 28th. Everyone else has to wait until June.

OUYAs will begin shipping to Kickstarter backers on March 28. That’s right. Parts are in the factory and assembly lines are buzzing. We’ll gradually ramp up production as we make sure things are working. (Our full launch is still set for June, which is when OUYA will be available in stores!)

Like how they ship it in the final days of March so they can say that we technically got them in March. Then again they gained enough money that they could afford to send them all NDA.

I'm not too worried that mine wasn't technically delivered in March. Hell, I was thinking that March was too tight of a time table to get us anything and to see them ship in March, even if it's in the final days of the month, is fantastic.

I still don't quite understand how paying $100 for a computing device sans software is an event to be celebrated. Use it as a doorstop? A paperweight? What, exactly?

(I'm assuming these are developer kits that include some tools for actually writing some software for the Ouya. Has anyone seen the software yet?)

And the countdown to shattered expectations begins..t-30 days and counting.

I have a feeling this thing is not going to do NETFLIX and probably wont do Amazon either.

I still don't quite understand how paying $100 for a computing device sans software is an event to be celebrated. Use it as a doorstop? A paperweight? What, exactly?

(I'm assuming these are developer kits that include some tools for actually writing some software for the Ouya. Has anyone seen the software yet?)

its a cheap device that will run Plex, so I will be happy, will probably never play a game on it

Supposedly runs XBMC 12.

If it can run Netflix, Hulu Plus, USB hard drives, files off networked storage (without the need for DLNA), and use Hauppauge's USB-to-coaxial adapters, this thing just became the best set top box known to man. I can already do most of the above on a WDTV Live, it's just nowhere near as powerful, nor does it run XBMC (though the UI is clearly a toned down ripoff of it).

Like how they ship it in the final days of March so they can say that we technically got them in March. Then again they gained enough money that they could afford to send them all NDA.

Like how they waited so long to ship that Tegra4 is already emerging within weeks of this thing and its Tegra3.

It runs XBMC, a 3rd party streaming solution similar to nvidia's shield thing, and basically anything currently out on Android. At $99, good deal.

If you haven't bought one yet, I wouldn't get this though. As I've said in a bunch of other posts about this, there are better solutions coming out / shown at CES that are around the same price but with better internals / features.

Back