Corsair H90 and H110 Hydro Liquid CPU Cooler Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Corsair H90 and H110 Hydro Liquid CPU Cooler Review - Corsair, once known only for quality enthusiast RAM modules, has successfully diversified its products reaching into cases, power supplies, processor cooling solutions. With the release of the H90 and H110 Hydro Series, we see the first new refresh in its closed loop liquid cooling systems.

Do these have the same mounting ears on the radiators that the H80i had? I found that to be a very weakly engineered mounting system.

The tabs are too thin, aluminum, and don't have threaded steel inserts.

I love the use of the larger fans.

I am a little confused about what you mean by the second to last paragraph on the Performance Review page. Specifically the 2nd and 3rd sentences. Are you stating that the H90 and H110 fans could be controlled just like the H80i and H100i or did you mean the H80i and H100i fans can be controlled by third party software?

I have the Kraken X60 which is basically the H110. These 280mm RAD coolers are a beast!!

Able to run 5ghz 2700k. Overnight prime95 was 81c max....so damn impressive.

I'm loving my H110 that I recently bought. It's cooling one of my 7970's. :cool:

I would love to see how you mount it on7970. I am thinking off doing so with my 670 and h100. H100i is on CPU.

I am waiting for Crysis 3 performance review.

I am a little confused about what you mean by the second to last paragraph on the Performance Review page. Specifically the 2nd and 3rd sentences. Are you stating that the H90 and H110 fans could be controlled just like the H80i and H100i or did you mean the H80i and H100i fans can be controlled by third party software?

sounds like the h90 and h110 don't use the CorsairLink2 software to control the speed of the fans, so you would have to use 3rd party software and plug fans into the motherboard to be able to control the RPM. or connect to a fan controller would be an option too.

So have these things reached the level Of DIY watercooling?

What about a against a koolance system?

I would love to see how you mount it on7970. I am thinking off doing so with my 670 and h100. H100i is on CPU.

Pics can be found here.

Basically you'll need to buy the appropriate mounting bracket for your AIO. For example, this works for the H60/H80/H100 while this works on most AIO's made by Asetek. Since you're using a 670, you won't need any copper shim that is needed on the 79xx GPUs.

Oh, and I did mod a Kuhler 620 to my GTX 670 a while back ago - PICS. Temps are so much better it's not even funny. Instead of hitting 75°C+ on the stock cooler, I'm now barely breaking 50°C and that is with it overclocked to 1250MHz on the core.

I actually just did a new system build this past weekend with a Corsair H100i in it, and after spending some time with the Corsair Link software, I've concluded that it's just not ready for prime time. The associated service keeps hitting one of my hard disks constantly while it's running, and making a bunch of extra noise, and the user interface is a pain to figure out. I can't say I'd miss it if I was using a H110 instead of an H100i (which is still impressively quiet and puts up some impressive temps, although I haven't tried any OCing with it yet.)

Asetek makes a good water cooler, it's no wonder so many OEMs use them. I love my Antecs and Zalmans. That retention ring clip is obvious but brilliant. Don't use the double sticky foam on the backplate though, it'll make you regret life.

Sorry for not being clear.

What I mean is this.

The H80i and H100i had integrated fan control built into the cooling unit. By downloading the corsair software you could then control them precisely.

The H90 and H110 have no such control BUILT-IN. That is they use PWM fan which technically speaking could be controlled by third party software like speedfan if your motherboard support it.

I wanted to explain to the user that the fan control wasn't baked in on these newer units but also not totally absent either.

Thanks for the review!

Not to be a grammar nazi, but I think I noticed a typo on pg4 under the first chart, Temperature - Stock Speed "...doesn’t make this any lest impressive."

Nice!

I am the owner of one of the relatively rare 180mm single fan units which I hacked up my case to install and reviewed in this thread.

The 180mm unit actually had more swept area (180^2) than the H100 (120^2*2) and performed very admirably.

The new H110 actually has even more swept area than the 180mm unit, and appears to do better per unit of swept area than past models.

It would probably be a marginal upgrade for me cooling performance wise, but I am considering getting one for warranty purposes. Corsair has a long track record of covering your hardware if the unthinkable happens and the unit springs a leak. With MainGear apparently having decided they couldn't sell the 180mm unit (presumably due to the CoolIt/Corsair exclusivity contract) and due to my custom install, I very much doubt I have any kind of coverage like that.

Question is, how many cases have dual adjacent 140mm fan slots this thing will fit in? Do any of them have the awesome 90 degree rotation that silverstone debuted?

I actually just did a new system build this past weekend with a Corsair H100i in it, and after spending some time with the Corsair Link software, I've concluded that it's just not ready for prime time. The associated service keeps hitting one of my hard disks constantly while it's running, and making a bunch of extra noise, and the user interface is a pain to figure out. I can't say I'd miss it if I was using a H110 instead of an H100i (which is still impressively quiet and puts up some impressive temps, although I haven't tried any OCing with it yet.)

This is the thing for me that's keeping me from jumping on the Corsair Link bandwagon...I love being able to monitor and control aspects of my system in uber-levels of detail...but I've heard the software is buggy and unreliable, that you have to fight it, and that it's a pain...I wonder if there is hope for the software to become a mature, stable and useful tool.

Vexorg, which of your drives was it constantly messing with? Your main system drive, or an associated drive?

Thanks for the review. I picked up a Corsair 550D and was thinking about getting one of these to go with it. I ordered the H90 after reading this. Seems great for the price.

One GLARING omission from the review. Is the radiatior aluminum or copper? I just purchased and installed an H100i which drops my temps from 80+ to 49/50 under load.

What is the limitation that keeps the temps from coming down to ambient? Is it the CPU internals or the cooler?
Paul

This is the thing for me that's keeping me from jumping on the Corsair Link bandwagon...I love being able to monitor and control aspects of my system in uber-levels of detail...but I've heard the software is buggy and unreliable, that you have to fight it, and that it's a pain...I wonder if there is hope for the software to become a mature, stable and useful tool.

Vexorg, which of your drives was it constantly messing with? Your main system drive, or an associated drive?

The one that it keeps hitting is the storage drive from my old system, which I had hooked up in one of the hot-swap bays in my HAF-X, which is currently plugged in mostly to pull data off to my new system. I can't tell if it's hitting the primary drive since it's an SSD, and the new storage drive seems to be a lot quieter than my old one, so I don't hear that either. For the time being, I've just deactivated the CorsairLink Sierra2Service by setting it to start manually, and I can just turn it on and off as needed if I need to mess with the settings on my H100i.

What do you think guys

H110 with NH-14's
OR
H100i with SP120's

I already own the SP120's - But I can move them elsewhere in the case.

I just recently bought the h110, and I was forced to remove the top-mount 240cm fan from my CM stormtrooper case, but it fit perfectly with 2x 140mm fans and rad. Idle temps are at 30c, full load at 65c running prime95 for 3 hours, cause that's the limit of my attentionspan anyhow. So far I recommend the h110. cheap, cool, easy to mount with the right case

Gah!!!

I bought the H90 and used up 2 hours installing it only to find out it wouldnt fit in my case if I put in both the radiator and the fan.

Gonna go and return it tomorrow.

h90 vs h80i?

all depend on your likes for better cooling performance H90 also much better in noise terms... h80i its quite fancy with the lights and the possibility of use the Corsair Link Software to monitoring the temps, fan controls, led controls etc etc.. the difference in performance its like 3C - 4C in favor of h90 but in terms of noise H90 have a LARGE advantage... i would go with the H90..

Thanks for the updated testing. I'm curious. You make the statement about adding a second fan to the setup. I recall reading an article sometime back (somewhere else) that put the gain at only around 2-3 degrees when a second fan is added to these AIO solutions.

I'm curious if you have a take on this.

Anyway to jimmy rig this to fit on a corsair 800D case? external top mount?

Jimmy rig what to fit a 800D? The back fan on the 800D will fit the H90, and the fan holes on the roof will fit the H100. Unfortunately, the H110 won't fit. I thought it would.

Thanks for the updated testing. I'm curious. You make the statement about adding a second fan to the setup. I recall reading an article sometime back (somewhere else) that put the gain at only around 2-3 degrees when a second fan is added to these AIO solutions.

I'm curious if you have a take on this.

I am putting a H80i in a build here this week, will try to get two Noctua fans on it. A push/pull setup is almost always going to give you cleaner airflow across the rad.

If I was going this route I think the H90 would be a good fit in my Antec 300, replacing the 140mm top fan. Anyone try it? Looks like it might fit but might come down too far and run into my mobo.

A little patience and some cutting will make anything fit in a case :)

For the price i really like my h90. Handles my 2600k no prob, fan is quiet. Backplate is cheezy, but minor complaint...

I am tempted to preorder the 110i GT for my new shiny 5930K.

im in the same boat, giving that still the h100i its one of the top 240mm AIO performer, I have great hopes for the H110i GT. i'll be buying one soon.

im in the same boat, giving that still the h100i its one of the top 240mm AIO performer, I have great hopes for the H110i GT. i'll be buying one soon.

Testing I've seens shows H100i as one of the lowest performing CLCs and not even close to the AIOs that are not CLC.

I would never pre-order a Corsair product. I remember how many problems the first buyers had when the H100 and H100i were first released.

Testing I've seens shows H100i as one of the lowest performing CLCs and not even close to the AIOs that are not CLC.

I would never pre-order a Corsair product. I remember how many problems the first buyers had when the H100 and H100i were first released.

Go there and learn few things;), the first thing you will notice its how the swiftech H220-X perform worse than the H100i fans at LOW speeds. and the Swiftech H220-X with HIGH speed fans ([H]used the same H100i fans at max speed to test) its only 1 degree better performing than the H100i at the same noise levels:rolleyes: IDK where you saw is the worse CLC but there clearly show how is on equal performance with the top performer coolers in the market..

Interesting
To me noise level is as important as temperature. Any cooler that is above 40dBA is too loud. I much prefer <35dBA.
Go here and learn a few things contrary to what you posted. :D

Here is a chart of these reviews with the averages of all tests combined.
CLCvsAirw-H240X_zps738f9a40.jpg

Each review testing session is ran on all coolers, not just the one being reviewed that day.
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews...loop-280mm-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=2
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews...0mm-liquid-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=2
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews...40m-liquid-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=2
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews...0mm-liquid-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=2

And other sites
http://www.cowcotland.com/articles/1392-3/test-aio-watercooling-corsair-h100i.html
http://www.techstation.it/articoli/corsair-h100i/montaggio-e-test-450.html

Last edited:
Returning my H220x, it fit in my case but the noise levels (Even when I adjusted for air-bubbles was just way to much for me to deal with.) Ended up throwing back in my H110 that I won at a LAN party over the summer. My 5960x is humming along with at 4GHz with only 1.2 volts needed anyhow.

Interesting
To me noise level is as important as temperature. Any cooler that is above 40dBA is too loud. I much prefer <35dBA.
Go here and learn a few things contrary to what you posted. :D

Here is a chart of these reviews with the averages of all tests combined.

Each review testing session is ran on all coolers, not just the one being reviewed that day.
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews...loop-280mm-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=2
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews...40m-liquid-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=2

And other sites
http://www.cowcotland.com/articles/1392-3/test-aio-watercooling-corsair-h100i.html
http://www.techstation.it/articoli/corsair-h100i/montaggio-e-test-450.html

ah yes, because hitech legion are a more reputable site than [H]OCP =D. should I believe more in that site right?, what im doing writing in this forum when I should trust more in another one.. :(:(:(:(

Returning my H220x, it fit in my case but the noise levels (Even when I adjusted for air-bubbles was just way to much for me to deal with.) Ended up throwing back in my H110 that I won at a LAN party over the summer. My 5960x is humming along with at 4GHz with only 1.2 volts needed anyhow.

?????? I can't even hear them. Do you live alone?

Back