Illegal Music Downloading Decreased Significantly In 2012

HardOCP News

[H] News
Uh oh, what is the RIAA going to complain about now? Okay, that was a stupid question, they are still going to complain. ;)

According to The NPD Group, a global information company, illegal music file sharing declined significantly in 2012. Last year the number of consumers using peer-to-peer (P2P) services to download music declined 17 percent in 2012 compared to the previous year. When P2P file sharing peaked in 2005, one in five Internet users aged 13 and older (33 million people) used P2P services to download music; however, last year that number fell to 11 percent (21 million people).

Because people aren't downloading or buying music anymore with streaming services like Pandora/Last FM/Spotify etc.

To be fair there hasn't been anything interesting in terms of music to buy, as bad as the choice of games last year.

I've just been getting the free song of the week through my phones app store, or buying old music.

Because people aren't downloading or buying music anymore with streaming services like Pandora/Last FM/Spotify etc.

Exactly. It took 10 years for the industry to give people what they wanted.

$10 bucks a month for spotify is worth it to not have to manage, tag, and backup thousands and gigs of music.

It is all we use now.

Downloading music is so 2008, it's all about that stream baby.

In addition to $0.99 songs from iTunes and Amazon MP3 rather than being forced to buy whole albums.

$10 bucks a month for spotify is worth it to not have to manage, tag, and backup thousands and gigs of music.

It is all we use now.

Yep. That is the problem of hoarding anything including games/movies/music etc. Its the task of managing it and trying to watch it. Better to just let others do it for you.

Just about all new cars have some way to stream bluetooth audio with a cell phone.

The headline should actually read: People switched to private trackers, direct download blogs and are using VPNs/TOR to download music.

They are going to attribute this to their various crackdowns like megaupload and pirate bay, regardless of their actual impact.

Didn't those old reports claim most countries had more pirates than people living in them? Maybe it hasn't declined, but the data is getting closer to true numbers than the ones the RIAA made up.

Probably because most music these days is absolutely terrible.

I get like, 1 song/album a year and spend the rest of the year managing playlists of music I already have.

I've never been much for music, to be honest.

I can stream for free to my phone and therefore my car.. downloading music and satellite radio have zero appeal.

Maybe. Just maybe, people are sharing with something not being monitored by the survey?

I find it completely ironic that people are in agreement with this, however when there is a thread about Blu Ray or some shit and how netflix is the future people go apeshit.

In addition to $0.99 songs from iTunes and Amazon MP3 rather than being forced to buy whole albums.

Yes. Also, AZs cloud service is nice. Whatever songs don't get a NA release I can pirate and then upload to AZ to insure I always have access.

Maybe people's hard drives are full of all the pirated music they want.....and nothing new is worth pirating?

;-)

Maybe by selling albums people actually want to hear for 2.99 or less customers will really buy stuff.

I find it completely ironic that people are in agreement with this, however when there is a thread about Blu Ray or some shit and how netflix is the future people go apeshit.

That's because blu ray owners are in denial. If netflix increased their streams to 8-10Mbps it'd look nearly the same as blu ray. That you don't have to worry about it getting stolen, scratched, broken, or well, all that jazz you get with physical media really just makes the idea of blu ray silly. I mean, the whole 4k res thing is a joke so what will we need physical media for? I guess those people with 10k projectors would still want them...

That's because blu ray owners are in denial. If netflix increased their streams to 8-10Mbps it'd look nearly the same as blu ray. That you don't have to worry about it getting stolen, scratched, broken, or well, all that jazz you get with physical media really just makes the idea of blu ray silly. I mean, the whole 4k res thing is a joke so what will we need physical media for? I guess those people with 10k projectors would still want them...

If you're willing to pay for users to go over their monthly bandwidth allotment, I'll agree to telling Netflix to raise their HD stream quality. :-P

In the meantime I'm sticking with Blu-ray physical disk. HD stream and Blu-ray may be close if you do the Pepsi Challenge, but there's no comparison with DVD.

I only buy quality made blu ray movies, for everything else there's netflix. (or Hulu, Amazon, etc.)

Music is an optional activity that can be had for free. Why people would continue to pay for it is crazy; with the exception of certain circumstances.

Illegal music downloading decreased significantly in 2012: That's what happens when all the "music" that came out was ass.

Free streaming, and probably to some extent DRM-free music, are probably partially responsible for the trend.

Maybe people's hard drives are full of all the pirated music they want.....and nothing new is worth pirating?

;-)

Well, I know people who used to pirate lots of content but since the MAFIA began it's holy war against all pirate infidels, aka little girls with whinny the poo laptops, they now just share directly with friends. A few even sell data DVDs at $4 a pop. But, those are a different market. Like people said radio services kind of negate the need. The people buying those DVDs do it b/c they want something to listen to in the car. That and b/c someone else made the collection one can hear artists they otherwise wouldn't have known about.

It is all we use now.

Spotify does some wack EQing to some of their music....on top of compression. I tried it and didn't mind it until I noticed how wrong some of their EQing on tracks sounds.

So long as you have shitty gear and don't mind audio that's lossy compressed to the point of sounding like ass.

We live in a discovery generation where people are constantly trying to find the next best thing without having to pay for it and the minute something becomes annoying to them (commercials etc) they switch services.

Hence why you see a lot of older bands starting to tour again and ticket prices of concerts have gone up.

I like Amazon CD service where they rip your CD into mp3's for free and allow you to download or stream them as you see fit. You still get the physical cd in the mail a few days later. Very nice for sharing music with family as I can authorize or deauthorize as many PC's as I wish.

Spotify does some wack EQing to some of their music....on top of compression. I tried it and didn't mind it until I noticed how wrong some of their EQing on tracks sounds.

So long as you have shitty gear and don't mind audio that's lossy compressed to the point of sounding like ass.

That is the problem, most people listening to music do it on the go, so that argument is almost a moot point.

Music is an optional activity that can be had for free. Why people would continue to pay for it is crazy; with the exception of certain circumstances.

Because I would like for musicians to continue to make music so I can listen to it. Why did painters have benefactors? Obviously someone wanted them to paint pictures for them to view. It made them happy to see the artist's work so they paid them. Why do we buy games? So the developers (artists) can make money to live off of, so they can make more games to make us happy.

Well that's the way I see it. I mean the musicians could write songs in their spare time and release a new album every decade, but I think paying them to do so is more beneficial.

Last time I checked, Netflix didn't stream 5.1+ DD/DTS audio...

Maybe it's because more people are buying tape recorders from radio shack and recording music from local fm stations :)

If the RIAA offered me a chance to download anything off the songs they released in 2012 for free, I would have trouble finding any that's worth the bandwidth.

Interesting....didn't know that. Too bad I run Netflix on my HTPC and laptop primarily.

Back