Learning Visual Studio 2012 books/resources?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
Any recommendations on learning Visual Studio (2012)? I'm overwhelmed with the size and amount of the program. Every time I load into it, I open the external packages manager, and spend all my time looking for extra functionality to add into it :) Bad habits.

I checked around on Amazon, and there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming amount of resources on learning Visual Studio (at least, largely and consensus well-rated books).

I have VS 2012 Ultimate. If it's still too "new" for good books to be had, would you recommend any 2010 books/resources?

Last edited:
Visual studio is an IDE that hosts languages (C#/VB.NET/C++) and orchestrates development targeting various platforms (WPF/Win32/Web/Silverlight/Azure). Most books are focused on a combination of Language + Platform and only talk about "Visual Studio" by providing instructions to accomplish the task at hand.

Pick a Language and something that you want to do (e.g. I want to build apps for Windows 8 or I want to build a website)
e.g.
http://www.amazon.com/Building-Windows-Metro-Style-JavaScript/dp/0672336065
or
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118385365.html

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You might try to stop your bad habits. You're telling us you're doing something that's not working, and doing it again and again. If that action isn't working, why are you doing it over and over?

Fort_Major nails it; Visual Studio is an IDE and not a language. You'll use different parts of the IDE depending on which language you're using and what kind of project you're targeting. Which language is it that you want to use, and what are your development goals?

I agree, visual studio isn't that hard to use.. just start a new project and do the basic stuff.. learn as you go. If you run into a problem and ask a specific question we might be able to help then.

I use pluralsight.com. It cost about $30 a month but the videos are very helpful.

To learn vs2012, look up some of the newer videos like MVC4. They have specific vs2012 videos too, but knowing the IDE alone gets you nothing. You should focus on learning a WPF, MVC, WCF project to get started and fill in vs2012 tips and tricks once you have the basics of working with projects.

Back