Got a new HP P2000 G3 MSA Array to play with

MikeTrike

Fully [H]
It's going to be loaded up with some SSD action. Still looking into NFS, never done anything with NFS, only MPIO and iSCSI. I'd like to have HA/redundancy, along with thin provisioning that I can't get with iSCSI on XenServer... So I'm investigating! Anybody done anything with NFS like that?

Nothing but bad things to say about these units.

They are rebranded Dot Hill enclosures.

Horrific support, mediocre performance, and really scary controller issues.

I would never recommend these to anyone.

Thanks for the real world help. ;)

On a serious note, any docs or write ups going over the issues described I can peek at. As to avoid issues if possible.

Everything will be fine until there is an issue, small or large.

Nothing that calls itself a SAN should have the problems this thing has.

Disks will have problems but the GUI won't show anything. It doesn't pull in hot-spares sometimes. The GUI will totally stop working and you'll have to telnet it and run some commands at the terminal.

Small issues have the ability to cascade into data-loss. I've seen it.

I also believe you need a license to use NFS on this thing. It does not include it standard.

While the units are OEM DotHill, they come with HP warranties and support. I use the P2000 units as and entry-level SAN solution in a variety of production environments and do not have the problems mentioned.

Yeah, It has been up since shortly after the pics I posted, no issues so far. So here's to hoping it keeps working as it should. It was actually fairly intuitive to configure as well. I did not have to refer to any docs at all to get it up and running.

The latest builds on those work great. The 5000 series is even better - kicks the shit out of most of the competition at that price point as well.

Can you tell me how the unit performed with SSDs? I'm considering configuring a P2000 G3 with Solid State drives (not officially supported). DId you run into any issues?

Performs well, however the iSCSI does somewhat hold it back. That along with the amount of memory allotted on the controllers. I'm not sure if it's upgradable, I haven't looked yet because it has been doing a good job so far. It stomps my MD3000i decked w/15K SAS only in RAID10 that's for sure.

I'm sure the main thing is active/active 8x1Gb ports naturally helps vs the MD3000i active/passive 4x1Gb ports. :)

Which SSDs did you use? Did the unit have any problem recognizing them? Any idea on IOPS/throughput capabilities?

12 x Corsair Force GS 360GB, no problems recognizing them. That's why I chose the HP, no drive restrictions or firmware locked crap.

I still need to sit down and do proper benchies on it. The generic single drive tests I've used don't say much for real world.

If there's anything you'd like to see, let me know and I'll see if I can run it.

Last question. Can you determine if your SSDs linked at 6Gbps? Or are they showing up as 3Gbps?

Back