Six Strikes Officially Begins On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
After several big delays the Copyright Alert System, known as Six Strikes kicks off on Monday many months after the proposed rollout date was to begin. If you had a fear of the Internet police before, be afraid, be very afraid. :D

Easy way around this is to not seed.

Have your torrent client auto close as soon as it finishes downloading.

And never download more than one thing at a time.

I just heard about I2P, I'm going to look into it so I can help my friends who will be monitored by this shit.

So far I have all my friends on a WAN through a VPN tunnel using my proxy IP for there proxy, it's a nice mess if you are trying to trace there IP down :D

Gotta love Astaro/UTM9 gateways. :D

heheh "no information is given"

I wonder if this is just a measure to get heat off the "major ISPs" or if they'll really give a shit because a paying customer is better than losing a customer.

7proxies.PNG

ugh, no edit

heheh "no information is given"

I wonder if this is just a measure to get heat off the "major ISPs" or if they'll really give a shit because a paying customer is better than losing a customer.

That's all this is. It's a way for the ISPs to cut costs in responding to subpoenas etc. Plus the RIAA etc don't have to do as much private monitoring.

Of course, people could just refrain from mooching, and not have to worry about it.
(Grr... no edit)

Just don't let anybody use your wi-fi and clamp that shit down tight... Anything done using your wi-fi, even if you don't know about it, they won't give a shit, they just want somebody to put the screws to.

Just don't let anybody use your wi-fi and clamp that shit down tight... Anything done using your wi-fi, even if you don't know about it, they won't give a shit, they just want somebody to put the screws to.

If, after 6 warnings, you haven't done anything to fix your neighbor's hacking of your wifi, then I think there's not much of an argument.

This reminded me of those happy cheerful dictator sponsored commercials where they kindly explain why your rights are being oppressed for the good of everyone; smiling the entire time.

This reminded me of those happy cheerful dictator sponsored commercials where they kindly explain why your rights are being oppressed for the good of everyone; smiling the entire time.

How do you figure? This new system seems so much better than the old one.

Before, if someone in your house, like a 10 year old, was downloading music like crazy, you'd be slammed with a lawsuit or a "pay us to not sue you" letter, out of the blue. Your only recourse would be to spend a ton of money fighting, or a half-ton to make the suit go away via a settlement.
Now, you get SIX warnings before that's a possibility. SIX opportunities to fix the situation, and even then, it's likely you'll just lose your internet.

How do you figure? This new system seems so much better than the old one.

Before, if someone in your house, like a 10 year old, was downloading music like crazy, you'd be slammed with a lawsuit or a "pay us to not sue you" letter, out of the blue. Your only recourse would be to spend a ton of money fighting, or a half-ton to make the suit go away via a settlement.
Now, you get SIX warnings before that's a possibility. SIX opportunities to fix the situation, and even then, it's likely you'll just lose your internet.
Nah, you'll probably just end up getting 6 warnings and a lawsuit mailed to you, all at the same time. :)

1) Encrypt your harddrive
2) Install Linux as a second OS
3) Do your downloading of Linux ISOs off of your second OS (Linux)
4) Have your primary OS (Windows) be the default OS
5) When they look at your computer, it boots to Windows and they won't find anything :D

Easy way around this is to not seed.

Have your torrent client auto close as soon as it finishes downloading.

And never download more than one thing at a time.

And in the process destroy the very structure of torrenting by not sharing.

Yea... no , that's not a solution.

Solution : Proxy or VPN.

Some courts have finally come around and realized that an IP address is not enough to go after the person who opened the account with the ISP.

I'm pretty sure you're seeding even while you're downloading. It might not be a lot of uploading but it only takes a few packets to have your IP logged. But yeah, sharing is caring. If you're going to hit and run at least buy a seedbox.

1) Encrypt your harddrive
2) Install Linux as a second OS
3) Do your downloading of Linux ISOs off of your second OS (Linux)
4) Have your primary OS (Windows) be the default OS
5) When they look at your computer, it boots to Windows and they won't find anything :D

That's now now this works. They monitor torrent users joining a swarm and them record their ip address. Then they take that IP and without any legal process whatsoever the ISP is happy to hand over your information to the media organization so that they can legally blackmail you for a $3000 copy of some crappy movie you downloaded and deleted 10 minutes into it because it was shit anyhow. That's how it works. Use a VPN or stop using torrents. That's how you get around it. As a second precaution I would recommend using alternate DNS servers so your ISP can't spy on the domains your visiting (they are doing that you know).

I'm pretty sure you're seeding even while you're downloading. It might not be a lot of uploading but it only takes a few packets to have your IP logged. But yeah, sharing is caring. If you're going to hit and run at least buy a seedbox.

Barely , most people seed maybe 2-10kb's when they download. Again its not enough to support the structure of the system. If you are using a private tracker than its even worse as you will quickly be banned from that system for not sharing. Not to mention most people probably have firewalls up that destroy their seeding speeds and have not bothered to tunnel through them with port forwarding or at least a router that uses UPnP.

This whole Six Strikes non-sense won't even be enforced. They might nab at best 0.002 percent of the people that probably seed terabytes of torrents over the course of a year but if you use a proxy or VPN there is no way they can prove or see what exactly you are doing.

Six Strikes to to appease the RIAA/MPAA at best , ISP's are in not in the business to get rid of their customers.

Six Strikes to to appease the RIAA/MPAA at best , ISP's are in not in the business to get rid of their customers.

But if you're a high usage customer regardless of "unlimited" or whatever, they actually don't want you as a customer and wouldn't care if you pissed off because they'd then get less complaints from the 100mb/month using facebook customers about slow speeds, as that is the customer they want, and have in spades, as you sure arn't the "supporting their business central pillar and would collapse without you" customer that's sucking a terrabyte a month that's for sure. :p

Anyway, how do they get your ip without breaking copyright or entrapment (create honeypot), themselves?

But if you're a high usage customer regardless of "unlimited" or whatever, they actually don't want you as a customer and wouldn't care if you pissed off because they'd then get less complaints from the 100mb/month using facebook customers about slow speeds, as that is the customer they want, and have in spades, as you sure arn't the "supporting their business central pillar and would collapse without you" customer that's sucking a terrabyte a month that's for sure. :p

Anyway, how do they get your ip without breaking copyright or entrapment (create honeypot), themselves?

the short answer is many of them do it illegally anyway and use their bucks to protect them.

there have been quite a few cases where the honey pot as been brought up in the legal system. I think they all get dismissed but nothing gets turned around to the company.

anyway echo the rest, if torrents are your thing, vpn and or a proxy... its like putting a condom on your internet connection.

I wonder how the service that cannot be named will be affected.

I wonder how the service that cannot be named will be affected.

It won't be.
That service is not about sharing, you don't broadcast your IP to anyone who cares to look. The only parties that know you're doing anything are: You, Your ISP, Your other service provider...and none of those parties are interested in reporting You (also, hopefully you're using encryption so even your ISP couldn't snoop on the data if they wanted to, which they don't).

Yeah that's what they want to some extent. In Canada for the longest time it was legal to download, but not upload. By definition if nobody is uploading then there is nothing to download.

I guess the good news with this is, they at least give warnings now. Before it was pretty much non warning in the states.

What sucks is Canada is heading in this same anti piracy BS direction too. They sneaked a bill through not too long ago where they can ask ISPs for your info now. Gonna have to setup a VPS from Bahnhof and VPN there. We really need net neutrally, this BS is just getting out of hand.

The sad part is, all this copyright extremism is in the name of money, corporate greed, and overall corruption in the media industry as well as the government. It has nothing to do with the artists. As a random person, if I report to the FBI that someone copied my youtube video of my cat, do you really think they're going to care?

Oh, and anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?

Getting a VPS, here: http://www.bahnhof.net

I think it would be fun, and it does not seem that expensive. It's in euros though, so I don't follow that economy well enough, I wonder how it fluctuates or if it stays mostly the same.

Well, looks like Cox isn't involved as far as I can tell, so I'm covered. :D

I'm VPN'd like a mo'fo now. Let them come looking for me at the old New York Port Authority building. :)

Of course, people could just refrain from mooching, and not have to worry about it.
(Grr... no edit)

You mean how like the RIAA mooches off of artists by giving them pennies for every CD sold? How they mooch off the government by bribing congressional staffers to sneak in provisions favorable to them in unrelated bills?

I shed no tears when people download music distributed by them. I would also point out that, in most cases, copyright infringement is not a crime but a tort. I am sure that the ISPs warning messages do not distinguish this and probably label all copyright infringement as a crime in order to try and scare people. Accusing someone of a crime they didn't commit is defamation per se and I seriously hope that the ISPs get slapped with a defamation suit.

You mean how like the RIAA mooches off of artists by giving them pennies for every CD sold? How they mooch off the government by bribing congressional staffers to sneak in provisions favorable to them in unrelated bills?

I shed no tears when people download music distributed by them. I would also point out that, in most cases, copyright infringement is not a crime but a tort. I am sure that the ISPs warning messages do not distinguish this and probably label all copyright infringement as a crime in order to try and scare people. Accusing someone of a crime they didn't commit is defamation per se and I seriously hope that the ISPs get slapped with a defamation suit.
The RIAA is a collection of music producers and they don't quite screw artists, artists get paid for what they work the more work you do the bigger your cut. Around 20-30 cents on the dollar goes to distribution around 15-20 cents on the dollar go to the record company then the rest is split among the people who wrote, sung, played, produced the music. If all you do is sing and you don't write your own music you get less, if you don't play your own music you get less, if you don't produce your own music again your get less. And then what ever they artists makes their agents gets around a 10-15% cut of. So yes they don't get the majority of the cut but no one does. A writer gets around 3 cents on the dollar producer gets around 8-10 cents on the dollar then the people who play the music get about as much as the people who sing it. Should record companies make as little as artists do? Maybe but they are the ones fronting the money to make and promote. Hell at the end of the day iTunes is still the biggest winner because of their hard stance on 30 cents on the dollar for a piece of music and I doubt their distribution costs are as high as brick and motor stores who need trucks and store fronts.

If, after 6 warnings, you haven't done anything to fix your neighbor's hacking of your wifi, then I think there's not much of an argument.

Or you could leave it open as it should be your legal right to do so, and then sue the hell out of them once they shut down your internet access.

The RIAA is a collection of music producers and they don't quite screw artists, artists get paid for what they work the more work you do the bigger your cut. Around 20-30 cents on the dollar goes to distribution around 15-20 cents on the dollar go to the record company then the rest is split among the people who wrote, sung, played, produced the music. If all you do is sing and you don't write your own music you get less, if you don't play your own music you get less, if you don't produce your own music again your get less. And then what ever they artists makes their agents gets around a 10-15% cut of. So yes they don't get the majority of the cut but no one does. A writer gets around 3 cents on the dollar producer gets around 8-10 cents on the dollar then the people who play the music get about as much as the people who sing it. Should record companies make as little as artists do? Maybe but they are the ones fronting the money to make and promote. Hell at the end of the day iTunes is still the biggest winner because of their hard stance on 30 cents on the dollar for a piece of music and I doubt their distribution costs are as high as brick and motor stores who need trucks and store fronts.

The RIAA is a collection of thugs and gangsters. They produce no music (although they like to pretend to) but rather exist to shake people down and file lawsuits against grandmothers and dead people so that their overpaid executives can buy that new yacht. They use the state to commit acts of violence against the most vulnerable people in society : the elderly and the poor. When was the last time the RIAA sued someone who was wealthy and could actually afford to defend themselves?

Your numbers are just bald-faced lies. Let's also not forget that the RIAA preys on lesser known and poorer artists by essentially acting as a loan shark.

Six strikes is just another way for the RIAA to go after peaceful people and to intimidate them for money with misinformation and lies. Anyone that criticizes them could find themselves getting numerous "copyright complaints" even if they haven't done anything and, because it is a guilty until proven innocent system, you have to pay to prove your innocence.

Wanna be a dick? Get on your neighbors wifi and share up to six movies. That'll teach someone something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back