Google Developing Its Own Streaming Music Service?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this report, Google has decided to start its own streaming music service. You know, because its other music service is doing so well.

According to the Financial Times, Google is currently in talks with "big music labels to launch a streaming service to compete with companies such as Spotify." Google previously launched its own digital music store over a year ago but this service will be different than the digital tunes shop, Google's streaming music service will offer free unlimited access to songs (with advertisements), along with subscription options.

I hope they fail with this as well. Don't get me wrong I like much of what they do, but I don't want to see Pandora disappear. :(

I even pay $35 a year to get High quality streaming from Pandora. Pretty good deal compared with Sirius.

iHeartradio..very few ads, works on my android phone, doesn't require facebook and tunes in participating radio stations in addition to you being able to create your own.

Frankly there is almost nothing google can do better as I know for damn sure they aren't going to do it with less ads.

Pandora's playlists are pretty terrible. If I set it on their 80s station, I get the same 10 bands over and over. The 90s station basically only plays Backstreet Boys and the like.

Yes, you can downvote them, but they should have a selection without doing that.

I just listen to hardradio,or a couple of other internet heavy metal/prog metal stations. Don't need anything else to listen to.

I use TuneIn App.

I agree, I don't see much use for companies like Apple and Google trying to get in on the scene with this, which isn't super profitable anyways. If they want the software to incorporate why don't they just buyout pandora/spotify and incorporate them?

I havent used anything related to music from google. They just arent good with that area. I am also trying to move away from being google centric lol.

Pandora's playlists are pretty terrible. If I set it on their 80s station, I get the same 10 bands over and over. The 90s station basically only plays Backstreet Boys and the like.

Yes, you can downvote them, but they should have a selection without doing that.

That's why you specify a genre, such as 90s rock

Now the RIAA will be even more mad at them!

And Pandora still exists? I thought that got shut down by the RIAA a long time ago?

Yeah. My problem with Pandora as well. Very limited music selection. I swear I hear some songs multiple times in the same hour.

I've gotten a bunch of shit on Pandora that I've had no idea even existed. Definitely some pleasant surprises. Just have to be careful in what you thumbs up, as ass backwards as it sounds, or you risk turning your station targeting something specific into the most comically random, bizarre mix of shit.

I'll never understand why people love Pandora when there are a bunch of streaming services that can allow you listen to whatever you want , at will.

Pandora an outdated concept , its internet radio from a past iteration of what internet radio was at one time.

I'll never understand why people love Pandora when there are a bunch of streaming services that can allow you listen to whatever you want , at will.

Pandora an outdated concept , its internet radio from a past iteration of what internet radio was at one time.

Because the point isn't to listen to specific songs, the point is to find new shit to listen to in accordance to what you like... which Pandora definitely does the best.

Because the point isn't to listen to specific songs, the point is to find new shit to listen to in accordance to what you like... which Pandora definitely does the best.

Exactly. Sometimes I don't want to choose and would like to discover new music too. Like Radio -- but without commercials. I have Pandora One.

Also, you get out of it what you put into it. If you only input a few bands, then yes it gets repetitive, but if you start adding more variety to your stations it seems to do much better.

And don't ever thumbs up a hit Radiohead song, or you'll get so much non-hit Radiohead on your alt. rock station.

I use grooveshark, never looked back. Said bye to pandora after I couldn't skip songs without paying for it.

how about a good download service? flac files with proper tags and high res booklets of albums you can't get anywhere anymore? i wonder why the same people who think 7.1 uncompressed sound from bluray discs is a must have are totally happy with shitty audio quality from the last century if it's "just" music.

how about a good download service? flac files with proper tags and high res booklets of albums you can't get anywhere anymore? i wonder why the same people who think 7.1 uncompressed sound from bluray discs is a must have are totally happy with shitty audio quality from the last century if it's "just" music.

ipod_headphones.jpg

Exactly. Sometimes I don't want to choose and would like to discover new music too. Like Radio -- but without commercials. I have Pandora One.

Also, you get out of it what you put into it. If you only input a few bands, then yes it gets repetitive, but if you start adding more variety to your stations it seems to do much better.

And don't ever thumbs up a hit Radiohead song, or you'll get so much non-hit Radiohead on your alt. rock station.

iHeartradio does this better. I constantly get new bands and songs on my custom station. It will get repetitive sometimes If you have the dial set to not find a bunch of new stuff, but generally it responds very well to thumbing up and down. Also, I can skip songs at will. Now if you set the dial to specifically let you listen to new stuff that is similar, well you will go for days without hearing the same song. It is just flatly superior to pandora in pretty much every possible way.

I like pandora for standup comedy but I do hate that no matter which comedian I listen too, I get too much aziz ansari and dane cook.

...I agree, I don't see much use for companies like Apple and Google trying to get in on the scene with this, which isn't super profitable anyways...

I would like to know how selling mp3 isn't profitable?

5-10mb file storage and transfer are insanely cheap. Last I heard netflix streamed a show for something like $0.03.
30% of 99 cent sale is a huge profit margin given the cost to store and transfer.

Granted infrastructure/support is the highest cost, but once you get over the scale of sales to cover those fairly low costs its all profit.

Back