Young People Say Microsoft Is Cooler Than Twitter Or Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new poll suggests that Microsoft is cooler than Facebook and Twitter but still not as cool as Google.

The software maker, often derided in Silicon Valley for failing to dream up products that captivate a new generation of social media and mobile savvy consumers, managed to pip Facebook Inc in the survey - only 42 percent of young adults thought the world's largest social network is cooler now than in the past. Twitter scored 47 percent, below Microsoft's 50 percent.

I think they've made headways. Bing is now an enjoyable experience and quite possibly superior to Google's own search engine. I like Bing news more than Google news now. They still don't have anything in terms of social networking but nobody likes Facebook anyway.

let's hope it's just a flavor of the month thing - luv, hell, even like is fickle

I was working part time in a five-and-dime
My boss was Mr. McGee
He told me several times that he didn't like my kind
'Cause I was a bit too leisurely

Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
But different than the day before
That's when I saw her, Ooh, I saw her
She walked in through the out door, out door

For youngsters nothing is cooler than Apple not even absolute Zero.

First off, Ipsos is employed by Microsoft and has been for some time. They are not going to piss off one of their biggest customers.

Second, the poll stated that people thought Microsoft had increased in coolness more than Twitter or Facebook, not that Microsoft was cooler than Twitter or Facebook.

We need the readins from the coolometer. I bet Microsoft BARELY rates above 10 megafonzies.

I'm guessing the xbox is a big factor in this, I can't see any other product that microsoft has that would be considered "cool" by .. well I was going to say "anyone under the age of 30" but "everyone" is probably more accurate.

Ok, M$ is cooler than twitter or facebook. Let's put this in perspective.
Here is where I would put them in a list cooler things first then less cool descending.

My farts
Zit on Nose
Microsoft
Twitter
Facebook

14 years after entering the world of personal computers, I still do not understand the widespread hatred towards microsoft. version after version of windows, I have been provided with stable, open and efficient workstations and gaming platforms. by now I just assume that it must be the kind of people who spend way more time on a computer than what's healthy. the only gripe I have with the company is their piss-poor console division, which I don't care for anyway, and shift away from pc game publishing which is fine because valve are better at it.

14 years after entering the world of personal computers, I still do not understand the widespread hatred towards microsoft. version after version of windows, I have been provided with stable, open and efficient workstations and gaming platforms. by now I just assume that it must be the kind of people who spend way more time on a computer than what's healthy. the only gripe I have with the company is their piss-poor console division, which I don't care for anyway, and shift away from pc game publishing which is fine because valve are better at it.
You must not remember the BSODs that Windows 95 was known for.
Or Windows 98 (pre-SE) which had some really weird error messages.
Or Windows ME, which wouldn't even boot on a lot of the hardware out there, and was a massive pain when it DID boot.

Then Microsoft got it. And Windows 2000 Professional was made. It was beautiful. Aside from the inital backlash of "Why the heck did Fisher Price design my new GUI" with XP and Microsoft changing where everything was with Vista, folks had a pretty good time. Honestly, if you ignore everything pre-2000, Microsoft's been a pretty danged good company in terms of their products. It's not to say that there's not bugs and questionable design decisions. There are. Definitely. But things work pretty well most of the time.

Folks just remember the olden days, when Windows was as frustrating as Linux, and it's a hard stigma to shrug off. Hitachi hard drives were known for the longest time for failing. DeathStar drives was what they were called, instead of DeskStar. It's just in the last few years that people have gotten over it and started to consider them to be "good" drives. 'Course, now they're gone...

No fuck I said the same thing when I was younger and more stupid.

But then again back then you had windows or you was stuck with some fucking crap apple hipster product and it was not hard for microsoft to be cool.

Then they got on with sega with dreamcast and then the fucking xbox and that made them even more bad ass in my young mind.

Folks just remember the olden days, when Windows was as frustrating as Linux, and it's a hard stigma to shrug off. Hitachi hard drives were known for the longest time for failing. DeathStar drives was what they were called, instead of DeskStar. It's just in the last few years that people have gotten over it and started to consider them to be "good" drives. 'Course, now they're gone...

GNU/Linux has never been as frustrating as Windows 9x was and I have been using GNU/Linux since 1998. Windows ME was the worst; I had to reinstall it every 1-2 months and had to reboot the computer multiple times a day because of the stupid memory limitations of 16-bit GDI.

Yeah, win ME was a disaster. I referred to it as Mistake Edition. I was at a Microsoft Extreme show for the launch of ME and watched crash twice. They were so embarrassed.

sUQ5mF7.jpg

SUPER-COOL.

How many "young" people can be bothered to take surveys. It was probably something like:

1) Take this 50 question survery and win a Windows 8 phone including an exclusive behind the scenes video of the awesome cool dance routine!!!

2) Opt out now and win an Android POS!*

*picking this option means that you think Microsoft is the coolest thing evar, and that we should rename bing/live/outlook/msn/MSNLIVEyO/hotmail to MyCoolSoft4evar.yo! Also that you think Andriod is shitty and silverlight was the best thing evar.

this is just like how IBM was the devil and the new microsoft was cool ... fast forward to Microsoft is the devil and Ibm is cool... and now moving forward... perhaps ... the article has some merit. :)

the whole apple thing is on a different zealot plane.

apple is the new *old* microsoft.

microsoft is the new hip dad.

it's all about marketing.

I think all of us posting in this forum aren't "young people" I'm guessing they are targeting Jr. high kids that are just now getting into technology (or at least know wtf they are doing)

I think they've made headways. Bing is now an enjoyable experience and quite possibly superior to Google's own search engine. I like Bing news more than Google news now. They still don't have anything in terms of social networking but nobody likes Facebook anyway.

what?

no way.

http://www.bingiton.com/

I took that test (promoted by microsoft) and in four of the five tests I chose google. 1 test tied.

Embarrassing promotion - eh --- where I clearly chose their competitor?

Back