The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
The WII U is done as a major player in this generation. it's way too underpowered. with both Sony and MS going with 8 core, 8GB and 7800 series GPUs. it makes no sense for anyone to port games over to nintendo.

They tried to catch lighting in a bottle again and failed. Not sure why, they are called casual gamers for a reason.

All these consoles are now are watered down pc's. Everybody was telling me back in 2005 that pcs were going to die because of consoles, almost 10 years later and it starting to look the other way around. Nintendo won't last, that's pretty much a given. I know nobody that is interested in it or has it. Plenty of people I know do own the wii though, but they all claim it just collects dust because there's nothing they want to play on it other than Zelda, or Mario.

Eh, I wouldn't say that at all. It has it's place in the market and plenty of great games. Plus a PS4 isn't going to cost the same as a WiiU, probably ever.

Dunno what you are talking about...I just picked up F-Zero for $.30 today and next month I'll be picking up Punch Out for $.30. I'll be playing those untill Bayonetta 2 comes out exclusively for the Wii U and then I'll probably move on to the Wii U exclusive JRPG X when that comes out. Maybe mix in some zelda here and there and probably some super metroid since that will only be $.30 also. I'm guessing by then a few other exclusive titles will be out that I wouldn't mind playing so I'll probably pick them up too.

Eh, I wouldn't say that at all. It has it's place in the market and plenty of great games. Plus a PS4 isn't going to cost the same as a WiiU, probably ever.

This is very true. Nintendo's 1st party titles are better than most other 1st party titles available on other systems.

Realistically most consumers don't care about specs, Nintendo just need to get a better marketing firm to handle the Wii U. The launch commercials were horrendous.

I will throw this out there: every time I'm out at the mall I see someone impressed by the Wii U because of the touch pad. Someone is always admiring it. Problem is people don't realize its a brand new system and think it's an attachment.

The people who wanted the Wii u the hardcore Nintendo lovers have it, who else is? It hasn't caught on with casuals and most likely won't.

Because it is so underpowered it doesn't make economic sense to port games over to it. So would non Nintendo hardcore players want it? As a major player this gen, the wii u is done. It will still exist but it won't be a threat to either Sony or ms

The people who wanted the Wii u the hardcore Nintendo lovers have it, who else is? It hasn't caught on with casuals and most likely won't.

Because it is so underpowered it doesn't make economic sense to port games over to it. So would non Nintendo hardcore players want it? As a major player this gen, the wii u is done. It will still exist but it won't be a threat to either Sony or ms

Why are you paraphrasing your OP?

not going to be huge because so many got burned by the Wii with its huge list of shovel ware and the fact that most people just stopped using them after like a month or so. I don't know a single person that has a wii that still uses it.

Plus with their ridiculous online and accounting structure is just horrible.

Nintendo engineers better get their asses into work early tomorrow and start working on an updated Wii U or something. With the PS4 specs officially confirmed and assuming the new Xbox will be extremely similar, the current Wii U is pretty much laughable in terms of power. A few years into the next generation, when the developers start getting the most out of the consoles and new game engines, there's no way they are going to want to have to dumb their games down enough just so it plays on the 3rd place console. I love Nintendo 1st party stuff as much as the next guy, but it's not going to be enough this time since no one is actually buying the Wii U (it's basically been the polar opposite of the original Wii).

I just don't think Nintendo really gets it. Sure it's not all about how pretty games are, but your console needs to at least be comparable to the others in order to get full 3rd party support. In addition, their online service is STILL so far behind the others that it's basically a joke. I'm not really sure why they thought they could repeat the Wii formula again when it seemed like every single average gamer on the internet could have told them it wouldn't work a second time. It's been said a million times, but the Wii just was the right product at the right time with an incredible hype machine. Like the OP said, the casual people that bought a Wii aren't the type of people to go out and update a console they probably don't play much anymore.

Nintendo isn't going to go under or anything; the DS has basically assured that. However, I honestly do think they are pretty screwed this generation in the major console market. It will be interesting to see what they do to react if the MS and Sony products start selling while the Wii U continues to flounder. Knowing Nintendo, I'd bet that they just sit on their arrogant asses while claiming their console is as good as the competition.

is the gap between Wii U and PS4 any larger than the gap between Wii and PS3?

MUCH the Wii U is not much better then Wii same hardware just bit faster and a bit more ram
Wii U is pretty much an overclocked Wii under the hood

im not sure the DS can save them with how smartphones are taking over the handheld market if they dont do some thing they could end up like Sega
and this is very much liked the end times for Sega

About the same gap. Wii was a little better than the previous generation (Xbox & PS2). It had a bit more cpu power and memory.

Wii U is also a little better than the previous generation. It has a tri core CPU like the 360 and 4 x more memory (ram) than Xbox 360 and PS3 (2GB vs 512MB), but the PS4 and next xbox will likely have 4 x the memory of the Wii U (8GB vs 2GB).

Of course that doesn't account for software and how the resources are split up. The Wii U has a more feature rich OS than the Wii and may have more resources dedicated to it.

Actually the Wii U only has 1GB usable RAM for games. We'll see how much the PS4 allocates for OS, but it can't be more than 1GB as well.

I love the gamer mentality of "I don't own it (or) I personally don't like it, so it's dead to everyone."

OP is done, he can't afford a Wii U.

Ninja Gaiden 3 and Mario still look like fun games, but yeah a few more would be good. 8 GB ram, who knows if Wii u has enough for 5 years from now or 2 even but Nintendo always brings games like every other console so quit cryin about it, strikes me as annoying.

The low end specs are not much of an issue for the main person I would think. I believe the main issue is that hardware wise it is not much faster than a PS3/360. And spending $300+ for such a small upgrade probably does not sit well with most. Most console gamers want big upgrades spread out rather than incremental upgrades that cost a lot.

Hopefully Nintendo does find its market and the Wii U sells well. But personally I am not interested in it.

The hardware is only a small part of what sells a console. Look at the exclusive games.

Almost everything the Wii renders looks like crap, but people bought them in droves to play Wii Sports.

I don't think it looks good, their current sales are horrible and they don't have the box to allow easy third party game development without the developers going threw hoops. It was not as much of a problem with the Wii because of the install base.

Zelda/Mario/Sonic etc are all very old IP's and Nintendo really need to up their game now. I think of them like Blackberry trying to compete with Android and Apple in the smartphone world.

The Wii U is what the Wii should have been in the first place, and although Nintendo have a dedicated market they are definitely not the leading games company and aren't likely to recover now.

nppp not new systems I still have 40 or so games on the ps3 to finish yet and several titles on the 360 .I have enough current gen games to last a lifetime already., but some people just got to have the latest wven if they stillhave perfectly functional current gen games that they will never finish.

I have a feeling sales for wiiU is gonna be less and less . Especially after the ps4 meeting.
Their last chance is e3 to show us the goodies, but by then ps4 and x720 will get all of the attention.

In the near future I think we'll be seeing nintendo games on ps4/x720!

Nintendo needs to get out of the hardware business and just develop games for Sony and Microsoft.

it makes no sense for anyone to port games over to nintendo.

Because it is so underpowered it doesn't make economic sense to port games over to it.

Sure it does. It's quick, it's easy, and ports make $$$ especially when they're games that (in the Wii) were only available elsewhere. Companies can develop for the stronger systems and then water down from there with minimal effort. Considering that the WiiU is essentially an overclocked 360 (which game companies are already familiar with), I'd say that porting games to it makes more sense now than any console before it.

I'm underwhelmed by the WiiU, but I think you're being a little overdramatic and fairly short-sighted if you're already writing off the console just because Sony had a press conference with a Powerpoint presentation. :rolleyes:

Sure it does. It's quick, it's easy, and ports make $$$ especially when they're games that (in the Wii) were only available elsewhere. Companies can develop for the stronger systems and then water down from there with minimal effort. Considering that the WiiU is essentially an overclocked 360 (which game companies are already familiar with), I'd say that porting games to it makes more sense now than any console before it.

I'm underwhelmed by the WiiU, but I think you're being a little overdramatic and fairly short-sighted if you're already writing off the console just because Sony had a press conference with a Powerpoint presentation. :rolleyes:

It's not quick and easy. first nintendo is running a power pc. second it has so much less ram. developers bitched to no end talk about how the 256 extra of ram the xbox 360 had made it very diffult to port to the ps3. both of those systems have GiGs of ram more than the WII U.

I have to feel nintendo assumed with the economy that neither Sony or MS would push the envelope so far. 8GB of DDR5 is serious step up. There is no getting away from it.

It's not quick and easy. first nintendo is running a power pc. second it has so much less ram. developers bitched to no end talk about how the 256 extra of ram the xbox 360 had made it very diffult to port to the ps3. both of those systems have GiGs of ram more than the WII U.

I have to feel nintendo assumed with the economy that neither Sony or MS would push the envelope so far. 8GB of DDR5 is serious step up. There is no getting away from it.

You are looking at all the wrong things here.
None of that matters, because in the end the hardcore is not the main buying public.
It's all about the games and price. Parents are still the #1 purchasers of video game hardware/software, so those that dont care for all that will go to walmart and see one thing... Price tag.

If anything, if people don't see a real difference between New Xbox and PS4, one of them will fail before Nintendo ever will.

You are focused on YOUR world of high-end.
The real world shows that you are the minority. Nintendo is failing right now because of one thing. No games. (and NOA, but thats another conversation.....)

Like I said before, it certainly has it's place in the market.

Hardware specs dont really matter compared to the quality of games and Nintendo won't have them ready until 1-3 years from now. I figure I will buy one when Smash bros is released.

It's not quick and easy. first nintendo is running a power pc. second it has so much less ram. developers bitched to no end talk about how the 256 extra of ram the xbox 360 had made it very diffult to port to the ps3.

1) Yes it is, because they're used to PPC from developing on the 360 and Ps3 for the last 7 years.

2) 'Less RAM than the new consoles', who cares. They're still probably going to port all the mainstream games to 360 and Ps3, making a WiiU port practically a write-off in difficulty.

3) Ps3 porting is harder because the CPU is more complicated; that's problem #1. I find it hard to believe that -256MB of RAM is the reason, and I've seen no evidence or commentary that says otherwise.

You're under the assumption that new consoles mean the old consoles get no love, and that's not gonna happen for at least a year or two. The Call of Duties, the Maddens etc. are all still going to come out on the 360 and Ps3 for another few years (and therefore the WiiU, unless Nintendo burns more bridges and I don't think they're going to do that anymore). You're either overlooking that or you're completely ignoring it and further slanting your rant in a more biased manner.

:rolleyes: Of course Nintendo knew Sony and Microsoft would step up and throw tons of high end hardware into the consoles; they've done it for how long now?? If you honestly think Nintendo wasn't counting on this, then you're not paying much attention. Nintendo may be a lot of things, but 'stupid' is not one of them.

The Nintendo is dead thread again?

Where else are you going to buy Nintendo games? <- That's why the Wii-U will be just fine for its niche.

1) Yes it is, because they're used to PPC from developing on the 360 and Ps3 for the last 7 years.

2) 'Less RAM than the new consoles', who cares. They're still probably going to port all the mainstream games to 360 and Ps3, making a WiiU port practically a write-off in difficulty.

3) Ps3 porting is harder because the CPU is more complicated; that's problem #1. I find it hard to believe that -256MB of RAM is the reason.

You're under the assumption that new consoles mean the old consoles get no love, and that's not gonna happen for at least a year or two. The Call of Duties, the Maddens etc. are all still going to come out on the 360 and Ps3 for another few years. You're either overlooking that or you're completely ignoring it and further slanting your rant in a more biased manner.

:rolleyes: Of course Nintendo knew Sony and Microsoft would step up and throw tons of high end hardware into the consoles; they've done it for how long now?? If you honestly think Nintendo wasn't counting on this, then you're not paying much attention. Nintendo may be a lot of things, but 'stupid' is not one of them.

Less ram who cares? is that a joke? it has has gigabytes of less ram, and a very slow processors, using a different processor language.

Nintendo needs to get out of the hardware business and just develop games for Sony and Microsoft.

Totally agree. I've been saying this for a long time now.

Nintendo still does well in the portable market (though with smartphones and stuff like the Vita they need to step it up hardware-wise) but they have been floundering technology-wise in the console market for years now.

The Nintendo is dead thread again?

Where else are you going to buy Nintendo games? <- That's why the Wii-U will be just fine for its niche.

I love Nintendo games, but at this point it is not worth it to me to spend $300 on a system just for a few first-party Nintendo titles. I can't imagine I'm the only person who feels this way.

I'm not saying Nintendo is dead like the OP, but I don't see them being a long-term player unless they step it up with their hardware.

Less ram who cares? is that a joke? it has has gigabytes of less ram, and a very slow processors, using a different processor language.

You clearly are not getting it. :rolleyes:

The WiiU compared to the new consoles will not matter one iota to developers for another 2 years (if not longer) because those companies are going to port 360/Ps3 titles for another 2+ years - likewise, they'll port the same game to the WiiU with minimal effort because the WiiU is practically a 360 (albeit slightly improved). WiiU ports are cake.

Just because a Ps4 is out does not mean they're going to abandon Ps3; same with Xbox. Tens to hundreds of millions of people already own those consoles; what, now they're going to abandon those consoles and easy revenue just because a few million people bought a Ps4? Are you really that oblivious?

WiiU compared to new consoles - sure, when developers are no longer putting out 360/Ps3 ports, it could be a problem. COULD. The fact is, developers are going to have to water down games to port outside of 720/Ps4 and they already realize that, so in the end your point is moot. They have to water down for 360/Ps3 just like they'll have to water down for WiiU when they're no longer porting for 360/Ps3.

You're either trolling or thick; I can't figure out which and at this point I no longer care. Good day

Totally agree. I've been saying this for a long time now.

Nintendo still does well in the portable market (though with smartphones and stuff like the Vita they need to step it up hardware-wise) but they have been floundering technology-wise in the console market for years now.

They've lost ground finally in that market, though. They're not unchallenged and unquestioned any longer.

I love Nintendo games, but at this point it is not worth it to me to spend $300 on a system just for a few first-party Nintendo titles. I can't imagine I'm the only person who feels this way.

I'm with you. I haven't bought one yet, either. This is the system the Wii should have been all along.

I'm not saying Nintendo is dead like the OP, but I don't see them being a long-term player unless they step it up with their hardware.

I've been dissatisifed with their hardware choice since the N64. You're definitely preaching to the choir here. ;)

At the end of the day it's all about the games.

The real critical point for them will be on robust and exclusive software. I can have most awesome hardware in the world and it'll only get me so far.

My own personal expectations, all told, are: This will probably...and sadly...be the last console we see from Nintendo. That doesn't mean they'll die. It means they'll go to dedicated software only which frankly some good arguments exist for them concentrating on what they do best: Great software.

We'll see.

Yeah, I'd love to see some of their visions come to life on hardware like the PS4. Or, dare I say, PC even? :p

Probably a pipe dream there, but hey.

The problem with Nintendo is focusing primarily as a gaming company to put games first over hardware is how I see the company.

That can backfire or benefit them. On one hand, we get great first and second party games that utilizes every ounce of imagination and creativity from them, and any innovation with their new consoles. However, at the same time, I feel their hardware is limiting what Nintendo is truly capable of.

I remember the old days of Super Nintendo, my fondest memories of childhood gaming. And, I thought their SuperFX and Mode 7 graphics were impressive for its time before the PS1 came onto the scene. Since then, Nintendo has been pushing innovation in each console trying something new with each console. But, lately, I don't think it's working so well so far.

Will they die off like Sega? Unlikely. But, they're going to have to realize that the gaming market today is a materialistic, eye-candy hungry crowd that wants every bell and whistle imaginable in their latest games. Nintendo can't always take a backseat apart from Sony and Microsoft. Gameplay, characters and story will always be priority in any game, but graphics is the other part of the equation.

If a game is to evoke a sense of imagery and imagination in the story and gameplay, then graphics have to play a part as well. And, you need the hardware to showcase it.

After seeing Sony's weak showing yesterday, I feel just the opposite. As long as they don't fuck up the next gen mario/smash bros/zelda/metroid they will be in a good spot. A decent mmo with custom action bars on the wii-u controller could really take off. It's pretty much Microsoft's generation to lose, but you know .... Balmer...(I have more faith in the xbox team though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back