Dell Inspiron 17R SE: i7-3630QM + 1080p screen + 8GB + nVidia GT 650M 2GB - $711

SubtleOne

Limp Gawd
Dell is having a President's Day sale at their Outlet store. Among others, there is a 25% discount on their 17-inch Inspiron Special Edition laptops, equipped with a nice GT 650M 2GB GPU. I have seen them come to $711.

Go to the Outlet inventory. On the right, select the 17r Inspiron Special Edition (one of the bottom choices in the list of models). Choose a model and at checkout use the coupon HVL1R7QC9NLCVF

Dell Inspiron 17R Special Edition

• Processor: Intel Core 3rd Generation i7-3630QM Processor
• Genuine Windows 8 Home Edition
• 17-inch 1080p display
• 32GB SSDR mSATA Card
• 1 TB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
• 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
• 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
• Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2GB

Had a mid range inspiron for a few years and thought the quality was crap. Plastic pieces around the screen just fell off at random and it split in the right front corner. I used all sorts of glue to keep that thing together until it stopped charging after about 2.5 years of use and I tossed it.

The battery life on these things is prodigiously awful.
I have a 17r 5720 (same battery) with the less power hungry 3632QM and 630m and i get 2-3 hrs of light usage from a full charge (browsing internet, videos, etc).

Has easily one of the worst touchpads that i have ever used.

The battery life on these things is prodigiously awful.
I have a 17r 5720 (same battery) with the less power hungry 3632QM and 630m and i get 2-3 hrs of light usage from a full charge (browsing internet, videos, etc).

Has easily one of the worst touchpads that i have ever used.

I hate to point out the obvious, but a 17-inch machine is not designed for portability, and thus long battery life. I have a 15r SE, and love it, but the battery life is much the same, and of course I never use the touchpad unless forced to. I hate touchpads period. In any case, it is just over $700, with excellent specs, plus a beautiful 1080p display, and thus is a very good deal.

Everything else afterwards loads slow though... I rather have a good 500GB 7200RPM over a 32GB ssd.

Well, it is 1TB, and there are no 7200RPM drives of that capacity, so the SSD is a good compensation. I think this is the best configuration I have seen for that price by far.

Edit: Other than my laptop for Black Friday ($647 - though I posted it here too)

Back