Photoshop 1.0.1 Released for Free

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Here’s a version of Adobe Photoshop you are welcomed to download without paying the first red cent. Of course the code is 23 years old, but hey, it’s free. Grab yourself some nostalgia. :cool:

The zip file contains 179 files, consisting of 128,000 lines of code and by line count around 75% of the code is in Pascal, about 15% is in 68000 assembler language, and the rest is various sorts of data.

that's pretty sweet... I never used that version, I think I started at around 2 or 3...

I still use 6.0 at home, because I never felt the need to upgrade. Still, it's one of the best programs I've used throughout the years. I'm downloading the source now, to see how my pascal skills shape up. :)

Photoshop wasn't Windows or Solaris Compatible until 2.5 (it was a word processing focused thing at the time...) and it's not compatible with "intel" crApples... So...this is pretty useless. :D

For whatever reason it was not playing nice with Tiger, gonna try later when I have more time. I can't wait to see this.

Photoshop is a really powerful program, but its interface is still this version 1.

adobe should keep the hotkeys, for the power users
set the mouse wheel to scrolling in and out over the mouse cursor,
have a default save output filetype preference (maybe i want to dice up my artwork into slivers of a webpage!)
have a search field for filters, image adjustments, etc. as well as a several most recently used section.
use arrow keys for undo, redo for more than just one step
add right clicks over something that acts different with alt vs ctrl+alt vs ctrl vs shift+alt vs shift vs ctrl+shift vs ctrl+shift+alt vs no modifier keys.

or at least allow some sort of open source interface/control mod.

the interface is just really burdensome in the days of multibutton mouses and fast screen refreshes.

No wonder their programs are always so buggy; there is almost no documentation or commenting of any kind in the code.

Jesus... This code was designed for Motorola 6800 series processors. The only computers I can think of that used those were pre-IBM Power PC Apple computers from the early 1990's.

Photoshop is a really powerful program, but its interface is still this version 1.

adobe should keep the hotkeys, for the power users
set the mouse wheel to scrolling in and out over the mouse cursor,
have a default save output filetype preference (maybe i want to dice up my artwork into slivers of a webpage!)
have a search field for filters, image adjustments, etc. as well as a several most recently used section.
use arrow keys for undo, redo for more than just one step
add right clicks over something that acts different with alt vs ctrl+alt vs ctrl vs shift+alt vs shift vs ctrl+shift vs ctrl+shift+alt vs no modifier keys.

or at least allow some sort of open source interface/control mod.

the interface is just really burdensome in the days of multibutton mouses and fast screen refreshes.

The mouse wheel does have the option to zoom at the cursor (first page of options), and zoom to cursor, but it's off by default (as thats not the "expected" behavior).
The save options default to the last savefile type you used. The normal savefile is supposed to be PSD/PSB because it preserves stuff the others don't. But all 3 save options are intended to do different things (save sets the "default" filetype for that file, once set it will save to that filetype. "Save as" is for saving additional copies, and "Save for web and devices" is intended to save with more image compression. PSD is very transportable, so if you wanted to do that using the "default" option of PSD would allow you to retain slices for use in site builder programs like Dreamweaver/Flash etc.

Depends what you mean by filters. the filters themselves are categorized, and clicking most of them opens the filter browser which is full of presets. The "Adjustments" filters mostly have a weirdly hidden save/load preset options (not all for some reason...). which would be nice to be more visable... What you can do though is do the filters as actions then assign keystrokes to play the actions. But by default there really aren't that many filter types, so a filter searh probably wouldn't be that useful.

The "undo" function is supposed to be used to flip between do and undo and redoing to compare (for whatever reason). The "step" ctrl+Shift+z/shift+ctrl+z forward/back function is supposed to do what other programs undo functions do. The arrow keys are already used for things (layer shifting) but you could use autohotkey and assign left/right to do those macros.

Right click does do different things depending on the tool selected. Like with the brush tool:
Right click = Brush menu
Ctrl = Select layer
Alt = Brush Size (same for most the tools)
Shift = Blend mode

Pretty much everything in it is assignable to a keystroke, so using programs like the Wacom tools/autohotkey you can do pretty much anything. Annd pretty much anything in the interface is scriptable, as are actions. I have brush presets set via action scripting, then assigned to keystrokes the used Logitech's software to assign those to mouse buttons, then all the Wacoms buttons are assigned different macros.

It's not perfect, but it is pretty editable.

No wonder their programs are always so buggy; there is almost no documentation or commenting of any kind in the code.

Shipped code doesn't need lines of bloat in it. This isn't for educational purposes with special hand holding. If you think it's "buggy" why the hell do you use crapturd software like GIMP (even on Linux it's way buggier amateur POS, if you don't think so you either haven't used both or either or do very simple low level things...)? :p

It was an eMac with a PPC chip was I was hopin. :D

This program pre-dates PPC Apple systems, and even pre-dates the PPC ISA all together!
PPC (not POWER) started in 1992, this version of Photoshop is circa 1990.

This requires a pre-OS X era Apple system (hell, pre-OS 8/9), and it'll need to have a 68K processor, or at least emulation for it.

Jesus... This code was designed for Motorola 6800 series processors. The only computers I can think of that used those were pre-IBM Power PC Apple computers from the early 1990's.
Well, damn it, you beat me to it! :p

Shipped code doesn't need lines of bloat in it. This isn't for educational purposes with special hand holding. If you think it's "buggy" why the hell do you use crapturd software like GIMP (even on Linux it's way buggier amateur POS, if you don't think so you either haven't used both or either or do very simple low level things...)? :p

Comments are not compiled into a program, they are ignored by the compiler. Putting comments into the code does not bloat anything up.

The GIMP developers documented their code. As an example, see http://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/libgimp/gimp.c?h=gimp-2-8

This program pre-dates PPC Apple systems, and even pre-dates the PPC ISA all together!
PPC (not POWER) started in 1992, this version of Photoshop is circa 1990.

This requires a pre-OS X era Apple system (hell, pre-OS 8/9), and it'll need to have a 68K processor, or at least emulation for it.

Well, damn it, you beat me to it! :p

I have a working apple lc2 that I'm sure would love running this

Back