Dell U2713hm or Dell U2713H or soon Dell U3014

Deredox

Weaksauce
I am looking to replace my Asus vg278H 3D monitor.

I have bin looking at both the dell U2713HM and the dell U2713H. (and maybe wait for the newer 30 inch)

It seems the HM have some problems but i know that dell already made different revisions and you need to be lucky that you get the newer 1.

does the H version have more input lag and/or is it worse for gaming? I am not a fps gamer i just like the nice colours in my games. i know that the H has a 10 bit colour system against the 8 bit from the HM.

money is not a problem so i might wait for the new dell u3014.
if it has around the same input lagg as the u3011 then it should be fine for gaming.

any thouhgts would be much apreciated!

Thanks.

PS. going to work now will check back after!

The only reasons to get the U3014 or U2713H are:

1) You want 10 bit color output for professional use. Note that 10 bit color output is for video/photo editing professionals, and does require a quadro or firepro card to be functional in the adobe suite. Consumer cards (geforce / radeon) only allow 10 bit color in D3D, and not adobe suite - so you're wasting money on a 2713H or U3014 with a consumer card. You will not get 10 bit color in the proper professional applications that need it.

2) You want a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor. The u3014 will not be cheap, it is a 12 bit color output monitor. Expect price to be high, this is not a gaming monitor, and it will not sell for bargain bin 1000$ prices. (relative for other 30 inch prices)

Regardless of what anyone states, input lag is a non issue, modern IPS panels are fine for gaming. 2006-2007 era IPS panels were slow but this has been improved 20 fold since release -- I've used various 120hz panels in addition to the u3011 and many 2560x1440 monitors; without exception I will game on the 2560 monitor over a 1080p 120hz anyday. The question is, what's your budget? These aren't designed for gamers, they're designed for professionals - so they're priced accordingly.

All of that aside, i've gamed on the u3011 extensively and absolutely love it. The high resolution and size are very immersive, much more so than a 120hz 1080p TN. I'm anxiously awaiting the u3014 and definitely plan on purchasing one myself, and will use it for games in addition to productivity.

Last edited:

1) You want 10 bit color output for professional use. Note that 10 bit color output is for video/photo editing professionals, and does require a quadro or firepro card to be functional in the adobe suite. Consumer cards (geforce / radeon) only allow 10 bit color in D3D, and not adobe suite - so you're wasting money on a 2713H or U3014 with a consumer card. You will not get 10 bit color in the proper professional applications that need it.

2) You want a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor. The u3014 will not be cheap, it is a 12 bit color output monitor. Expect price to be high, this is not a gaming monitor, and it will not sell for bargain bin 1000$ prices. (relative for other 30 inch prices)

Regardless of what anyone states, input lag is a non issue, modern IPS panels are fine for gaming. 2006-2007 era IPS panels were slow but this has been improved 20 fold since release -- I've used various 120hz panels in addition to the u3011 and many 2560x1440 monitors; without exception I will game on the 2560 monitor over a 1080p 120hz anyday. The question is, what's your budget? These aren't designed for gamers, they're designed for professionals - so they're priced accordingly.

All of that aside, i've gamed on the u3011 extensively and absolutely love it. The high resolution and size are very immersive, much more so than a 120hz 1080p TN. I'm anxiously awaiting the u3014 and definitely plan on purchasing one myself, and will use it for games in addition to productivity.

money is not a problem.

is it true that the images are sharper on a 2560x1440p then on a 2560x1600p?

also are the colours on the dell u3011 good? if so i might get that 1 after the 3014 is released (probably a price drop).

what are the pros on 27 inch vs 30 inch and cons and also the other way around?

also an u3011 is only 200 more then the u2713h so thats pretty nice.

do games look cooler on the u3011 against the 2713hm?
is it true that the u3011 has the AG coating?

The images aren't sharper on a 27 inch, no. Trust me, I use both (27 and 30 inch IPS) and you will easily like the 30 inch screen better - the size difference is absolutely huge, it has to be seen to be believed. While I really enjoy the u3011, I would strongly suggest the u3014 if you're using it primarily in the home. Dell has a new anti reflective coating on their 2012/2013 screens which is far better than the old matte used on prior model u3011/u2711s - the difference being that matte is great for brightly lit business environments, but can lead to less sharpness in dimly lit home environments. The u3014 will be better overall for text sharpness, but will also cost more than the u3011.

The difference in size between a 27 inch x1440 and a 30 inch x1600 is immense, you really have to witness it to appreciate it - I find the 30 inch to be much, much more immersive for games and movies.

The U2713H has too much input lag for gaming (30ms+pixel response times, measured by PRAD.de with an oscilloscope), the 3014 likely will too since like Xoleras said, these are not gaming monitors. The HM has weird semi-glossy coating cross hatching issues, but many don't notice. Aside from the potential cross hatching it is a great monitor. I have the U2713H right now, it is too laggy compared to a display with a 1 frame delay (17ms ish). Be warned, switching from a 120hz+ display to a 60hz display with a 1 frame delay will feel shocking, I've done it.

All of the current 30" CCFL models use a very grainy matte coating and have worse black levels than the good 27" 1440p models.

The Viewsonic VP2770 is the best high res IPS for gaming, it comes with factory calibrated colors and has the lowest overall delay of all the 2560x1440 displays (7ms vs U2713HM's 15 and U2713H's 30, plus pixel response times)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1732378&highlight=

Last edited:
@xoleras and @NCX Excellent info on the 3014!

My 3008 is getting long in the tooth, but at $1500, the 3014 is out of my comfort zone. Whether I bite the bullet on a 3014 depends largely on how far prices fall on the 3011. If the 3011 can be had for around $1000, it wins. As for 27" 1440p vs. 30" 1600p, there's no contest. The size, scope, immersion of the 30" is unmatched. I prefer a single 30" over even three monitor setups.

The U2713H has too much input lag for gaming (30ms+pixel response times, measured by PRAD.de with an oscilloscope), the 3014 likely will too since like Xoleras said, these are not gaming monitors. The HM has weird semi-glossy coating cross hatching issues, but many don't notice. Aside from the potential cross hatching it is a great monitor. I have the U2713H right now, it is too laggy compared to a display with a 1 frame delay (17ms ish). Be warned, switching from a 120hz+ display to a 60hz display with a 1 frame delay will feel shocking, I've done it.

All of the current 30" CCFL models use a very grainy matte coating and have worse black levels than the good 27" 1440p models.

The Viewsonic VP2770 is the best high res IPS for gaming, it comes with factory calibrated colors and has the lowest overall delay of all the 2560x1440 displays (7ms vs U2713HM's 15 and U2713H's 30, plus pixel response times)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1732378&highlight=

The 2713H is fine for gaming. Ultimately, all of the input lag tests you see on various websites such as AT are flawed because they test at non native resolutions. Non native resolution adds significant input lag on most IPS monitors.

I've used the 2713HM and I don't see it being different than the H in terms of input lag. Do you own an H? IMO both of these screens are perfectly fine for gaming and no different than other scores of IPS monitors i've used. Just because they're marketed for professionals, doesn't automatically mean gaming on them is a catastrophic mistake - I have a S27A850D just like you do and the 2713HM is the same or better for gaming. So is the u3011. In fact -- while I really liked the 850D for quite some time, the text sharpness on the samsung PLS unit is significantly worse in comparison to the new dell screens, although the 850D *does* have deeper black levels at default settings.

Anyway I'm sure this will be the case for the u3014 and u2713H as well. They will be fine for gaming, pay little heed to flawed input lag tests - i've tried this numerous times myself and can actually spot ghosting at 1080p, but this never ever happens at native 2560x1440/1600 resolution. Take input lag tests as a grain of salt until the tests are apples to apples comparisons at native resolutions -- testing methods for input lag / response must be substantially improved, and i'm sad to say there has been no progress over the past two years in this respect.

Last edited:
haha now its even harder to choose which monitor!

i already chose not to take the dell u2713h cause the HM is more then fine.

I suggest you actually read my post.

haha now its even harder to choose which monitor!

Get the Viewsonic, it has the least issues (no LED PWM dimming, no cross hatching), equal color quality, the best gaming performance, and USB ports too (Asus PB278Q lacks USB ports and uses PWM). Wide Gamut displays are a waste of money for gaming and there is no point in putting up with the extra lag, the U2713H has worse ghosting (rainbow overshoot) vs. the PLS 2560x1440 models and the U2713HM too.

Last edited:
how about the Samsung S27B970 looks really nice but not sure if it has alot of input lag

The 970D is extremely reflective since it uses edge to edge glass, pixel response times+input lag are basically the same as the U2713HM, PB278Q and S27A850D.

Since the black bezel is covered by glass the display is not only super reflective, but the black, glass covered bezel looks so dark it makes the displays blacks look greyis by comparison. Example: Edge to Edge Glass Left (Dell S2740L which has much deeper blacks than the 970D) vs. Regular Glossy Right (CrossOver 2720MDP)

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/240hzTeslaStorm/Dell S2740L Review/dellbleedandglow001.jpg

Example of the bezel looking very dark:

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/g...740l-review-1920x1080-edge-ege-glass-ips.html

Sure you can turn off the lights but there aren't any IPS/PLS displays with deep enough blacks to be used in a dark room, yet.

Last edited:
The images aren't sharper on a 27 inch, no. Trust me, I use both (27 and 30 inch IPS) and you will easily like the 30 inch screen better - the size difference is absolutely huge, it has to be seen to be believed. While I really enjoy the u3011, I would strongly suggest the u3014 if you're using it primarily in the home. Dell has a new anti reflective coating on their 2012/2013 screens which is far better than the old matte used on prior model u3011/u2711s - the difference being that matte is great for brightly lit business environments, but can lead to less sharpness in dimly lit home environments. The u3014 will be better overall for text sharpness, but will also cost more than the u3011.

The difference in size between a 27 inch x1440 and a 30 inch x1600 is immense, you really have to witness it to appreciate it - I find the 30 inch to be much, much more immersive for games and movies.

this Sharpnes you talking about is that also in gaming?

+ dell u3014 announced http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-u3014/4505-3174_7-35613445.html

Last edited:
I'm also interested in basically this same question. I've seen the Viewsonic mentioned before too but I have something in my head that wants a 30".

I'll be watching for more opinions on what to do. No hurries, just looking for something to throw some tax refund money at in the near future.

I'll add that I'm not a graphics pro, but am a developer so the jump from a 1080p monitor for the extra desktop space is primarily what I'm interested in.

I also haven't really gamed for 5 years, but don't want whichever monitor to hold that option hostage if I do ever decide to get into it again.

Get the u3014. No regrets and you will have peace of mind since it's the best for consumer level displays.

I won't go into detail but once you see a 30" up close, you'll love it. The size difference is absolutely immense (compared to a 27") and it is so, so good for gaming and movies. The added size really does increase immersiveness.

27s are nice, but they seem tiny after using a 30" 1600 panel for a while ;)

You said cost isn't a concern but you could easily get ahold of two U2713hm's or possibly even two U2713h's for the price of one U3014. I'm personally more satisfied with a dual monitor setup than a single 30" and I previously used the U3011.

When you say you've gamed on the 3011, what kind of games do you play? Anything competitively where a few frames of lag would make a difference?

Sorry to threadjack but I'm also in the market for a 30" monitor for productivity and gaming.
I was seriously considering the dell s2740 due to the low input lag but the 1920x1080 res I'm afraid might make things too blurry?

For reference I'm currently using a benq fp241vw thats dying. I can notice input lag but it's tolerable.

Are there any 30" monitors on the market with good input lag?

I won't go into detail but once you see a 30" up close, you'll love it. The size difference is absolutely immense (compared to a 27") and it is so, so good for gaming and movies. The added size really does increase immersiveness.

27s are nice, but they seem tiny after using a 30" 1600 panel for a while ;)

about 8 months ago I bought one of the catleap monitors and I also had a hazro 30wi to compare too.

was a real tough decision on which I should send back; ended up sending the hazro back because I just couldnt afford it at the time (really wasnt a bad deal on it thou 600 pounds).

basically it went like this

27" catleap:
+ glossy which was hard for me to get used to at the time - but now I actually prefer it; movies look great and so do games on it. Txt looks a bit better on the 30"

- txt can be quite small and have to largen the font to be able to read ok

30" hazro; the hazro matte wasnt that bad - and was similar to my old monitor was a pretty close match when it came to games; but seems like alot of games lets you play in widescreen mode which may let you see a bit farther as compared to a non widescreen mode. Skyrim was much more immersive. The res. doesnt do a screen justice - its the massive monitor.

- price and it was quite bulky, I actually like the glossy screens now more.

-------------------

wondering how the 29" dell compares to say the 30" - and ya if input lag sucks then that might deter me also

I will wait for the 3014 to come out andnsee what reviews say and then decide if i get 2 new monitors or 1 dell 30 inch!

1b) You have a good calibration equipment and manage color profiles on the computer (instead of the monitor - if these ones were even capable of that, ie. "HW calibration"). All recent AMD videocards (consumer ones, as well!) - I'm not sure about Nvidias - has a 16 bits/component output LUT! ("SW calibration" uses this LUT.) This LUT outputs as many bits the monitor can receive (in case you use the right connection, as well, so DP or HDMI). More bits -> more precise calibration - without banding and slight color alterations. You definitely need more than 8 bits/component to have an adjusted (calibrated) 8-bits/component intensity ramp!

People usually forget about this...

Last edited:
I'm both a developer and amateur photographer which means the 1920x1080 TN panels are a bit of a horror show to me. I think the 2560 27" will have too high a dot pitch for me to work well for coding too. So I'm really looking forward to the u3014. The description of the light anti-reflection coating, wide gamut, 1600 vertical pixels and LED backlighting sounds far superior for my needs.

I'm not a twitch gamer so I don't think lag will be an issue. If they are I'll still have a crappy TN monitor lying around anyway.

I can get a decent discount from Dell through my company too, so I don't think it will be much more than $1000.

Should i pick the Samsung S27A850D ( with the best settings from 240hz review). Over the Dell U2713HM?

Do not really need to look at out of the box colours because both monitors aleeady have good icc profiles from people having used calibration hardware.

Regardless of what anyone states, input lag is a non issue.

That's just your opinion, don't make it sound as if it's a biblical truth. I can definitely notice the input lag of my U2713HM, which is tested to be faster than the U2713H. It's therefore likely that Deredox will notice the input lag of the U2713H.

NCX also said that
I have the U2713H right now, it is too laggy compared to a display with a 1 frame delay (17ms ish). Be warned, switching from a 120hz+ display to a 60hz display with a 1 frame delay will feel shocking, I've done it.
Believe him.
I went from a 226BW (a really really old 60Hz TN monitor) to the U2713HM (also 60Hz). The difference in terms of lag was certainly significant enough for me to notice. If your sole purpose is gaming, I'll advise you get something faster than the U2713HM.

You can read my review of the U2713HM here.

All things considered, Deredox, get the VP2770 as NCX mentioned.

Otbricki, I can completely understand the agony of having to read small texts. I therefore suggest you get a Dell S2740L, a 1920x1080 27" monitor. I'll probably get one to replace my current 2713HM.

Back