Never Have More Than Nine Browser Tabs Open

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's some good advice to pass on to your friends and family that always seem to have a dozen browser windows open at once.

Open enough browser tabs and it doesn't matter whether you're running Chrome or Firefox or IE or Safari or Opera: your system is going to slow down and eventually your browser will crash altogether, quite possibly bringing your entire environment down with it. Quite aside from that performance drama, there are at least four obvious reasons why having multiple tabs open is pointless.

i regularly have >15 tabs open on each monitor... i mean that's normal... sometimes it's 2 or 3 times that many...

That article is one of the stupidest things I've read in a while.

i've always got chrome and ff both open at work. ff 35 tabs, chrome (for email) with 8 tabs. this is with ps, indesign, acrobat, illustrator and dreamweaver all open. i don't notice a difference whether ff or chrome are closed or not. hell, even my tablets run constantly with more than 9 tabs.

Reading this article opened exactly three tabs, crashing my system.

Thanks for the PSA, Steve :D

KH3Z1tw.jpg

Well shit I think I fucked up.

For those of you who regularly have a lot of tabs open (say 20+), why? What's the advantage? What could you possibly need that many tabs open at one time for?

For those of you who regularly have a lot of tabs open (say 20+), why? What's the advantage? What could you possibly need that many tabs open at one time for?

Leaving something open you can't read right now but need to come back to later.

How many somethings "you can't read right now but need to come back to later" do you have regularly crapping up your tab bar? Why not just bookmark it? I hate when my tab bar gets all wonky from having too many tabs open at once.

How many somethings "you can't read right now but need to come back to later" do you have regularly crapping up your tab bar? Why not just bookmark it? I hate when my tab bar gets all wonky from having too many tabs open at once.

Its for the procrastibators....it makes us feel like we will come back to that tab and do things....we never actually do (rarely)...but it makes us feel more productive.

I don't ever go above 20, but 9+? Regularly.

I get anxiety if i have more then four tabs open at a time. I would also love to see good reason why someone would have so many open.

Retard article is retard.

Steve, I want those 30 seconds of my life back, thanks. If you see a strange maroon coloured car outside your house tonight, it's me coming to collect.

I get anxiety if i have more then four tabs open at a time. I would also love to see good reason why someone would have so many open.

I open a lot by ctrl-clicking links on pages I'm reading (background info, related topics, etc). Sometimes I have enough that the tab icons disappear. :D:eek:

That's when you open another instance of the browser. :D

I often have a shit ton of browser tabs open. The most common way to get a shit ton of browser tabs open is things like google, search something and just open a half dozen of the results in their own tabs to flick through instead of going forward and back through them. Or on this forum, click on the main forum and then open all topics of interest in new tabs. Or browsing a gallery, open each image in a new tab. Before gmail fucked up their interface I used to do the same with emails.

I only bookmark things I care about looking at again in the long term, anything that I only care about looking at soon gets it's own tab.

For readin' stuff. I read a lot of stuff. I don't use bookmarks outside of work stuff.

I consume information to quickly to get above 4 tabs, typically. I can see rare occasions, such as a highly active forum, in which more would be temporarily necessary. Not for longer than half of an hour or so, though.

Which piles up to multiple windows with 7-8 tabs each window. Then you start getting repeat tabs as well. I just gave up on my recent ones and said "close group".

Waiting for the article titled:

Why You Should Never Have Any Gawker Media Sites Open

Because Gawker.

between opera and chrome most likely have 150 tabs open (opera allows tab stacking so most of them are in there own group depending what it is)
I have bucket load of ram and I have the very important click to play or load plug-ins on demand enabled to prevent flash from eating all me ram up

must admit I need to remove at least half of them

Open hardforum/reddit/etc

Middle click all of the links/subforums I want to read.
Middle click the actual hardforum/reddit tab to close it.
Read each of them and middle click one at a time to close them.

Repeat until I've read what interested me, close browser.

Usually grouped by window.

Similar things happen when looking for airline flights, researching some code, etc. It's a pretty easy and efficient use pattern.

shoot...on my rig I have 8GB of ram, I have roughly 50 open...
on this machine now, I only have 37+17 (in ff) open.
on my laptop that has 10GB, I have 40+

strangely, on my gaming rig that has 16GB, I rarely go above 5 but then again, I'm usually just gaming on it

That claim about not being able to read the title of the pages is BS. I get 15-20 tabs open on my 27" 2560X1440 monitor and I can read them just fine.

Usually, when I have that many open, it's one page of search results and page after page that I think might fit my needs, but I need to open them to find out, yet they take so long to open I get the first one open by the time I've opened the 8th tab or so.

Open hardforum/reddit/etc

Middle click all of the links/subforums I want to read.
Middle click the actual hardforum/reddit tab to close it.
Read each of them and middle click one at a time to close them.

Repeat until I've read what interested me, close browser.

Usually grouped by window.

Similar things happen when looking for airline flights, researching some code, etc. It's a pretty easy and efficient use pattern.
Pretty much. I don't intentionally do it, but my tabs get grouped by windows. At the moment I have 3 forums open in this window across about 10 tabs, another site open in another window with 5 tabs and another work related site with about 10 tabs open.

I open a lot by ctrl-clicking links on pages I'm reading (background info, related topics, etc). Sometimes I have enough that the tab icons disappear. :D:eek:

no middle click for you? I mean ctrl... you might as well right click and then select open in new tab lol :D

I couple years back I used greasemonkey scripts to automate stuff for a game. Wouldvopen several thousand tabs in just a few seconds. . Wasnt an issue

I was using tabs with opera since the days of dial-up (yes, tabs did exist before firefox), and I got used to the ability of loading up a bunch of background tabs and just letting all the various pages load in the background while I read the current page. Even with broadband, the pages still don't load instantly, so I still use background tabs.

Also, it's nice to be able to go through a "picture" gallery and just middle click all the thumbnails I like, letting them load in the background, so I can look through them all one at a time when I'm done with the index page.

Sometimes I wonder how people manage to use the internet without tab, but then I remember that, for some people, the internet only consists of 2 pages, facebook and gmail (before that it was myspace/hotmail, and even farther back it was geocities/yahoo)

Tabs? All the good browsers (Lynx, IE6, and Windows Mobile 6.1's IE) don't support or need tabs to work properly.

I'm just glade those LiveJasmin pop ups open in new windows or I'd have 100's of tabs.

I write software. I try to keep my tabs closed, but on occasion I'll have 20+ open. Here's what they are:

"Normal pinned sites"

Gmail, Facebook, Pandora, etc.

"Normal work related sites"

web based bug-trackers for projects I work on, etc.

"Stuff I'm working on"

If I'm researching 2-3 different technologies that I'm trying to incorporate into my project I could easily have several tabs open to different articles that I'm reading with code-samples relating to them. If I close them I may not be able to easily find them later, history is not a guarantee that I'll be able to easily find anything, and if I find a good method of doing something in an article I do not want to lose it.

Lastly, documentation from MSDN etc...I also have 3 monitors, so it helps.

Back