Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown

I'm disappointed that there wasn't any pixie dust, rainbows, or unicorn power inside.

Microsoft Surface Pro Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)

How does this compare to the macbook/ipad?

AWWW! Wook at dose wittle baby batteries! I heard they turned 3 hours today!:eek:

I'm disappointed that there wasn't any pixie dust, rainbows, or unicorn power inside.

Problem Solved: -

1351010468-0.jpg

I dont see that being easy to put back together. but then again ducktape solves all issues.

That is why those damn things cost so much. 90+ fasteners with lots of glue holding that damn thing together.

can't be any more difficult than the HP DV-series. So many flimsy plastic snaps that's next to impossible to disengage and impossible to snap back together :-P

I want one, ease of maint be damned. Tablet with a real OS and places to plug shit in... yes please.

Well I actually own a Surface Pro and the reviews are right on. It's fast, heavy-ish, and battery life is about as good as an average laptop. It does get warm but not even close to what I would consider even slightly hot and the fans are silent as far as I can tell.

The stylus is awesome, the handwriting recognition is very good/amazing depending on how sloppy you are, and it's very fast and responsive to use. Display is amazing looking.

No device is perfect but this is pretty damn close to having everything I wanted in smaller-than-a-laptop-but-still-useful-for-work device.

x86 programs+USB+stylus+touch cover=money well spent IMO

Problem Solved: -

[*IMG]http://uploads.neatorama.com/images/posts/668/52/52668/1351010468-0.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you! :D

What I like about seeing the inside of Surface Pro is the fact that there's are pretty much no loose parts inside it. This means you can grab it and shake it and stuff won't come out of it randomly.

I hate when they superglue the shit altogether, like they don't want you touching the shit inside.

tamper stickers are no longer sufficient eh? gotta glue everything now

That breakdown was boring. Is there even a point anymore to opening up these devices. If they're not 100% SoC, they're still just one fully integrated board with no swappable components.

Unless you've got a computer engineering degree and a soldering kit, there's no reason for any of us to ever attempt opening a tablet.

It makes me sad to think that in about 10 years computer customization will probably be a forgotten trade.

hard to get apart because of that double sided tape all around the perimeter. That stuff is nasty.

This is dope and also means that I will NOT be buying the 64bg version and upgrading the SSD on my own. Efffff that. Actually, now I just found out that the Pro doesn't include the touch keypad cover. The fuck? I could have sworn that was an included option.

I wonder how easy the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 is to upgrade. That is looking much more attractive to me now.

This is dope and also means that I will NOT be buying the 64bg version and upgrading the SSD on my own. Efffff that. Actually, now I just found out that the Pro doesn't include the touch keypad cover. The fuck? I could have sworn that was an included option.

Nope, an extra $120 for the flimsy, cramped keyboard.

Nope, an extra $120 for the flimsy, cramped keyboard.

The plastic keyboard is $129 and the fabric one is $119 so that does have to get included in the cost if you're not going to go the miniUSB to USB hub to keyboard and mouse route.

Someone someplace has to take this apart to fix it for a job.
I feel sorry for that person. :-(

Yea and I'd rather cop a smaller bluetooth keyboard for less than half that price anyway. Le Sigh. Well not really. It seems Lenovo will get my money. Too bad cause I had my heart set on a Surface Pro.

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/yoga/yoga-13/
The Yoga design terrifies me. In a thread about how well built the Surface Pro seemingly is... I think the Yoga isn't. I guess we'll see what the repair rate is on them in a year or two.

The Yoga design terrifies me. In a thread about how well built the Surface Pro seemingly is... I think the Yoga isn't. I guess we'll see what the repair rate is on them in a year or two.

I want the Lenovo Twist! That thing looks gorgeous and it runs Core i7 and 8GB RAM for $860. Peanuts compared to most Core i7 laptops.

The Ludicrous assembly engineering must be there to hide the huge replaceable-but-really battery and fans needed to dissipate that heat generated because of sub-par software performance?

And all this technology needs to be held back up by a monk's patience, double face carpet tape & duct tape if you want to see it.

Kinda poetic in it's own way...

I don't get the disk space concerns either... who needs 500GB on a tablet? How much crap do you really need to carry around at one time after all in the age of the "cloud".

I don't get the disk space concerns either... who needs 500GB on a tablet? How much crap do you really need to carry around at one time after all in the age of the "cloud".

exaggerate much? its a truth-in-advertising issue for the most vocal about it. nobody's demanding 500GB in a tablet. on the other hand you expect more than a measily 28GB freespace when you're plunking down nearly a grand for a tablet. Since travelers are among those interested in the form factor, its not unheard of to want to load a few movies up for offline viewing between WiFi points.

exaggerate much? its a truth-in-advertising issue for the most vocal about it. nobody's demanding 500GB in a tablet. on the other hand you expect more than a measily 28GB freespace when you're plunking down nearly a grand for a tablet. Since travelers are among those interested in the form factor, its not unheard of to want to load a few movies up for offline viewing between WiFi points.

Who needs a few movies when you can probably only finish watching one before the battery is dead? :D Microsoft smartly limited storage to keep the storage in line with the system's endurance.

It's a Pro. You can install anything you want on it. I can understand the lack of need for drive spaces on the RT though where app sizes are minuscule. But the Pro needs the space to install large programs like CAD or Photoshop or even games if it's your desire. Most laptops come with 320 or 500 GB drives.

Remove the recovery partition and you get a large chunk of space back... plus you can always rip out anything else that you don't want on it or do a clean install if you're anal. If space was a concern, buy a 128MB version. I don't see how this is any different than any other SSD ultrabook.

You aren't going to do large scale image manipulation on a 10+in screen so the "muh photoshops" argument isn't really applicable. Professionals use pshop on a large color-calibrated display (usually more than one) not a tiny tablet.

You have heard of USB storage right? If you can afford a Surface Pro, a fat USB key is probably something you already own several of. I have 3 on the desk in front of me including one large capacity high-performance USB3 device for transferring image files for work and such.

Ugg I have a HTC Radar and the digitizer is glued down in a similar manner. Having replaced two digitizers (mine and my wifes due to them getting cracked) I can tell you it's no picnic and it never goes back together the same.

Why could they have not done something like the Nokia phones where the screen is held in by a metal locking bar hidden by the SIM tray.

Back