Gates: Bing Is A Better Product Than Google

HardOCP News

[H] News
While you may not be as fond of Bing as Bill Gates is, you have to admit, he seems like a pretty damn cool guy. :cool:

During an “Ask Me Anything” session at Reddit, the Microsoft (MSFT) cofounder praised his company’s Bing search engine as a superior alternative to Google, calling it “the better product at this point.” Gates acknowledged he was biased in favor of his own company’s products but still encouraged Reddit users to give it a chance since “the work to make Bing better has been amazing.”

I've used nothing but Google search in forever, and completely dismissed Bing as a gimmick... however, the last few searches I've done over the past few days I've tried Bing and I have to admit that the results were better on Bing than they were on Google. In fact (using the exact same search terms) Bing brought up the page I was looking for as its first result, while Google simply didn't list it at all (got 10 pages through and gave up). I still use Google in my everyday searches but I'm a lot more open that I used to be towards Bing. If the trend continues that Bing provides better results, then I can see myself ditching Google search completely at some point.

I've used nothing but Google search in forever, and completely dismissed Bing as a gimmick... however, the last few searches I've done over the past few days I've tried Bing and I have to admit that the results were better on Bing than they were on Google. In fact (using the exact same search terms) Bing brought up the page I was looking for as its first result, while Google simply didn't list it at all (got 10 pages through and gave up). I still use Google in my everyday searches but I'm a lot more open that I used to be towards Bing. If the trend continues that Bing provides better results, then I can see myself ditching Google search completely at some point.

I agree. Bing is much better than people give it credit for. For years and years it has been Google only for me, now more often than not, its Bing. Google results are way too skeewed to whoever pays for better listing. Also Bing shopping is better now that companies have to pay Google to be part of Google shopping search.

Bing has certainly gotten better, and the front page artwork is occasionally wonderful...but as a search engine it's kind of like Google+ is to Facebook. Just because there's something different out there doesn't make it necessary.
At one time Bing was worthless and never pulled up what you really wanted. Now it does a lot of the time...but so does Google.

Being the majority shareholder biases him? No, I don't believe that for a second.

Comedy monday with Bill gates!

but look bing has purdy pictures on its home page!!!
your right it's so much better!

Bing's okay. I use it first before trying Google if I can't find what I want. I'd use Google more, but if you add *.google.com to your restricted sites list to block the creepy things Google does, searching with them breaks until you remove the entry.

I only wish Bing didn't have animations. On animated background days, I just search from the address bar since my poor netbook gets sort of bogged down by the moving stuff. That uses Bing, of course.

Either that or they are just saying they win on the last page regardless of results :p

I ditched google almost entirely last year and switch to Bing and outlook.com. (I already had a msn email account for many years anyways.) Google maps is occasionally better but the search is pretty much equal or slightly better on bing. :)

I ditched google almost entirely last year and switch to Bing and outlook.com. (I already had a msn email account for many years anyways.) Google maps is occasionally better but the search is pretty much equal or slightly better on bing. :)

Google maps has much better labeling of businesses than Bing maps. Bing, I think, has better quality images for more obscure places and can zoom in more closely in some cases than Google maps while maintaining a not blurry image.

Its gotten pretty dam good. The past 6 months Ive had bing as my home page. I prefer it to google now. Thats not to say google is worse though.

I seriously tried to use Bing simply out of greed. Bing rewards is cool and I like MS Points. I still found it more difficult to find the things I wanted than google and eventually got tired of messing with it.

For Bing to better then Google, they would need to search better then Google. There's a lot of things you can't search on Google anymore. Would be nice if Bing didn't succumb to same demands.

Bing is better, but it's going to take a few years for people to not simply type "google". It's practically instinct at this point for many people.

I just use duckduckgo - it's a sorta meta search engine.
You just add the code for wherever you want to search into your query.
Sorta like old keyword functionality in your browser except already populated with
a couple thousand search engines.

So I'm constantly switching between bing and google and about a dozen more
I can't imagine defaulting to one.

It's funny. I actually prefer Bing over Google but I never thought about changing my Chrome settings to switch to it on my PC and Nexus. Done and done. Google gets enough of my attention on the Nexus and with my e-mail. :D

Does no one here have any love for DuckDuckGo.com?

It doesn't watch what you're doing, what you click or where you go. Which is nice.

I've read that Bing is apparently VERY GOOD at finding adult content, which is, of course, hilarious.

It's funny. I actually prefer Bing over Google but I never thought about changing my Chrome settings to switch to it on my PC and Nexus. Done and done. Google gets enough of my attention on the Nexus and with my e-mail. :D

I'm shocked Chrome doesn't block Bing.

But if they did, I doubt any of the people who still think Microsoft deserved to be prosecuted by the DOJ 15 years ago would feel the same way about what would amount to an even worse anti-competitive measure.

It doesn't watch what you're doing, what you click or where you go. Which is nice.
I like to have big companies watching what I do on the Internet. That way, there's somebody to call 9-1-1 if I get into trouble!

What does anyone expect the dude would say? He praises everything Microsoft which included Windows ME, Windows Vista and Windows 8. The dude probably shouts the word "Microsoft" every time he orgasms with his wife. I probably would too if it made me as money as it's made him.

What does anyone expect the dude would say? He praises everything Microsoft which included Windows ME, Windows Vista and Windows 8. The dude probably shouts the word "Microsoft" every time he orgasms with his wife. I probably would too if it made me as money as it's made him.

This I agree with. Imagine the amazing angry sex he had during the Vista launch..."vista, vista, Vista, VISTA, VISSSSTAAAAA!!!!.

I'm shocked Chrome doesn't block Bing.
I'm not. Whatever you think of Google in terms of things like how they keep track of your searches and such, they tend not to bar anyone from their ecosystem unless they're truly malicious (spammers, phishers, etc.). You have only to look at Google Play (formerly Android Market) to see that they allow virtually anyone to compete with their own products - multiple map providers, e-mail clients, browsers, and on and on.

In part I think they're truly rying to be customer friendly with their openness, and in part I think they're truly confident that they either do provide a better product or can make their product better when it comes up short. We'll see if they can accomplish the latter when it comes to their competition with Bing.

I would like bing a lot better if I could figure out how to limit the results to "last year" or "last month" like google. Try searching for any tech or programming related topic and there are usually a lot answers from 2008 :eek:

I've taken that Bing vs Google search test probably a few dozen times and not once has Bing ever won. Bing's searches have always been slower, more confusing, and less accurate.

I'm tired of Google's snooping and spying garbage so am looking for another alternative, but Bing doesn't seem to be it :(

I just use duckduckgo - it's a sorta meta search engine.
You just add the code for wherever you want to search into your query.
Sorta like old keyword functionality in your browser except already populated with
a couple thousand search engines.

So I'm constantly switching between bing and google and about a dozen more
I can't imagine defaulting to one.

Very nice, I hadn't heard of them but I like it!

I would like bing a lot better if I could figure out how to limit the results to "last year" or "last month" like google. Try searching for any tech or programming related topic and there are usually a lot answers from 2008 :eek:
The ability is in the engine but it appears based on either the number of results or the query itself.

For example, when I do a search for "android application development tools," it offers the option to narrow results to the last day, week, or month. However, a search for "bing narrow by date disappears" results in a screen with no narrowing option.

It does seem like a really dumb way to run a railroad.

Back