Microsoft Statement on Loan to Support Dell Privatization

HardOCP News

[H] News
“Microsoft has provided a $2 billion loan to the group that has proposed to take Dell private. Microsoft is committed to the long term success of the entire PC ecosystem and invests heavily in a variety of ways to build that ecosystem for the future. “We're in an industry that is constantly evolving. As always, we will continue to look for opportunities to support partners who are committed to innovating and driving business for their devices and services built on the Microsoft platform.”

+1 It is in their best interest to ensure they have a partner that will continue to push the OS and peripheral software. The server segment alone is worth it for them.

I wonder how much of the Microsoft campus is powered by Dell boxes and what fraction of their servers are made by Dell. Keeping in good with Michael Dell might be a very prudent business move for Microsoft.

In other words: "You're my b***h now Dell, you're gonna do as we say."

Pretty much the surest sign that MS doesn't have any aspirations as a hardware vendor ... this should calm down some of the other OEMs who were upset about the Surface Pro ;)

Taking MS's money worked out well for Apple.
But they didn't take Microsoft's OS with their money.

Now look at Nokia. Going with Windows almost destroyed them. They went from number one in smart phones to fighting for fifth place thanks to Windows.

But they didn't take Microsoft's OS with their money.

Now look at Nokia. Going with Windows almost destroyed them. They went from number one in smart phones to fighting for fifth place thanks to Windows.

Nokia was kinda going down the tube-a-riffic before they went all "Oh, Microsoft! Tie me down and install your OS in my phone just the way I used to do it by myself." The whole thing in getting with Microsoft was in an effort to organize a comeback.

Nokia was kinda going down the tube-a-riffic before they went all "Oh, Microsoft! Tie me down and install your OS in my phone just the way I used to do it by myself." The whole thing in getting with Microsoft was in an effort to organize a comeback.

They also have a better chance at standing out of the pack as a MS based company than Android ... Android may be winning market share hand over fist but only one Android based company is making a profit at it (Samsung) ... in the world of MS they have a better shot at the other famous quote "In the land of the Blind the one eyed man is king" :cool:

Nokia was still number one, and still growing before they announced they were dumping Symbian and going with Windows.
6a00e0097e337c8833017ee41902ae970d-pi

Nokia was still number one, and still growing before they announced they were dumping Symbian and going with Windows.

Announced on Feb 11, 2011.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-11/tech/nokia.microsoft_1_windows-phone-nokia-smartphone?_s=PM:TECH

If you look at the chart you posted, that's after the start of Q1 2011 and before the start of Q2 2011. They were in downward spiral already and knew they needed to do something to save the company. Yeah, the Windows Phone thing isn't working out for them, but Symbian was showing obvious signs. Even your data shows that.

Back