RIAA Set For 10,000,000th Google URL Takedown

HardOCP News

[H] News
Gee, that is quite an impressive number. If you do the math, that is 16,666 take down notices every day for twenty months straight. The 666 stuff is just a coincidence...I swear. :eek:

From humble beginnings in 2011, last year the RIAA amped up its efforts to have allegedly infringing URLs removed from Google’s public indexes. Fast forward to today and the RIAA is about to hit a historic milestone. During the next few hours the music industry group will issue orders to the world’s largest search engine to take down the 10,000,000th URL on its behalf.

At some point Google is going to say "hell with this - find a better way". It has to cost them something to process that many take down letters.

At some point Google is going to say "hell with this - find a better way". It has to cost them something to process that many take down letters.

The processing is automated on both ends, the submission and the receipt/processing of it. A whole cottage industry has sprung up to surf the grey and vague areas of the DMCA for fun and profit - tools that help copyright trolls formletter-spam any site owners and google simply when a keyword on their no no list is detected. False positives? They don't care because there's no penalty for frivolous takedown requests whether its 1 or 1 million a day. Same thing has happened with Usenet, providers are actually providing API to copyright trolls to bulk upload no-no keyword lists for automated takedown.

This is apalling, I can't think of a more blatant waste of human effort and time. Fortunately the RIAA is fighting a hopeless battle and eventually they have to run out of resources or drive. Google should charge a small fee per takedown request, even if it's $0.05 or something.

And BTW this DMCA spamming abuse isn't limited to piracy takedowns, its also being abused by businesses to game the system and get an unfair advantage over their competitors - and once again its not the businesses themselves coming up with thisnbidea and carrying it out but these unscrupulous scheister third parties carrying this out so their clients have plausible deniability and it goes on the books as 'search engine optimization services'

In fact SEO's have been abusing DMCA for quite a while now

This is where trying to "administer" the internet fails... Failure of government to just let google do what they do... list searches, there is NO reason Google should be responsible for listings.

RIAA = The Devil

:)

Understatement.

The RIAA is a cancer to creativity, and to anyone who has any sort of talent.

One of these days the RIAA and MPAA will be dead, and I hope that happens in my life time as I want to dance the happy dance when it happens. :D

[RIP]Zeus;1039582128 said:
Understatement.

The RIAA is a cancer to creativity, and to anyone who has any sort of talent.

One of these days the RIAA and MPAA will be dead, and I hope that happens in my life time as I want to dance the happy dance when it happens. :D

I'll spring for the first three kegs, first five bottles of whiskey, and first three bottles of wine.....I'll even offer up the zippo for burning the RIAA/MPAA flag

cool, more music and video i will never care about. good job RIAA MPAA

It should charge an admin fee of $1.00 per transaction and take cash only delivered to their HQ billing department in person with a filled out form letter for the request and the legal proof of ownership to do the take down.

Google really should institute a minor processing fee of say $1 per takedown request accepted.

So 10,000,000 X $1 = 10 million dollars over 20 months = a half million a month to Google for really doing nothing.

And for icing on the cake require them to be certified mail via USPS - yeah have them mail each one - help the post office outta that slump.

It should charge an admin fee of $1.00 per transaction and take cash only delivered to their HQ billing department in person with a filled out form letter for the request and the legal proof of ownership to do the take down.

And must be signed physically by a judge and a lawyer and a senator (to make sure it's legal).

Back