Microsoft Not Offering Surface RT to Pro Trade-Ins

HardOCP News

[H] News
A rumor popped up on the internet yesterday claiming that Surface RT owners could trade up to a Surface Pro at full retail value. Apparently this is not the case, the 30 day return policy is still in effect but there is no trade-in program at this time.

The person or persons behind the account claim to have been told that they could turn in their Surface RT device for full retail value, and only pay the difference between that, and the cost of the Surface Pro to get the forthcoming device. Brad Sams of Neowin called several Microsoft stores, and managed to confirm the deal in conversation with a manager.

I just can't see this turning to light because no one would give someone full retail especially if they have owned the product since it was first released. Maybe if someone paid for the RT and like 4 days later the Pro came out but, they are two very different products. Microsoft would be losing alot of money in the RT versions if they allowed it. Their inventory numbers would jump and it would cause all sorts of accounting problems.

That's like saying Intel would have upgraded you for free from a 2600k to a 3770k because ivy bridge was released after sandy bridge. It's absurd. They're completely different products. Whoever spread this completely nonsensical rumor... idanno man. :confused:

Well, you can just return it and get your money back just like everyone else who bought a WinRT tablet :p

When I was looking at the Surface RT tablets at the Microsoft store in Chicago, one of the salesperson there came up to me and made sure that I was aware that the Surface Pro will be available February 15.

I think it's your fault if you didn't do your research or didn't listen to your sales representatives if they told you. Windows 8 tablet is too new for the common Jane and Joe to grab without asking a few questions.

When I was looking at the Surface RT tablets at the Microsoft store in Chicago, one of the salesperson there came up to me and made sure that I was aware that the Surface Pro will be available February 15.

I think it's your fault if you didn't do your research or didn't listen to your sales representatives if they told you. Windows 8 tablet is too new for the common Jane and Joe to grab without asking a few questions.

You sir, are a genius. That would make an excellent product slogan!

Microsoft Windows Surface RT: Its your fault you didn't do your research.™

Your highly-knowledgeable salesperson told you the wrong date.

the [H] needs to have a standing Award of some sort for the first person providing photo documentation of a Surface RT for sale in a Goodwill store or some such used crap outlet

You sir, are a genius. That would make an excellent product slogan!

Microsoft Windows Surface RT: Its your fault you didn't do your research.™

Haha, well that goes for any computer you buy. If you impulse-buy with a few hundred dollars, that's your own fault.

Haha, well that goes for any computer you buy. If you impulse-buy with a few hundred dollars, that's your own fault.

Except it really doesn't. Thats a cop out. If someone buys an iPad they know what they're getting. I'd never buy one personally but I recognize apple has dummyproofed them enough that they aren't going to deal with unnecessary returns because of 'confusion'.

microsoft on the other hand is trying desperately to compete with said tablet, and because Microsoft is the one on the outside of an established market looking in with its nose against the glass, it is Microsoft's burden to ensure their new products are dummyproof and consumer proof and free of gotchas. Their arrogance in deciding to brand EVERYTHING Windows is one of many reasons theyre having troubles now that many of us saw coming a year ago.

I thought these Surface devices only sounded half-bad and considered one for semi-professional duties later this year, and then I found out what freedom a Surface device offers a user.

I'd rather get a goddamn iPad.

Except it really doesn't. Thats a cop out. If someone buys an iPad they know what they're getting. I'd never buy one personally but I recognize apple has dummyproofed them enough that they aren't going to deal with unnecessary returns because of 'confusion'.

microsoft on the other hand is trying desperately to compete with said tablet, and because Microsoft is the one on the outside of an established market looking in with its nose against the glass, it is Microsoft's burden to ensure their new products are dummyproof and consumer proof and free of gotchas. Their arrogance in deciding to brand EVERYTHING Windows is one of many reasons theyre having troubles now that many of us saw coming a year ago.

I didn't think of the OS branding. You're correct that Microsoft needs to do a better job of advertising the differences between x86 and RT Windows 8 versions.

But if they had done that, then it's caveat emptor on the customer's part.

Back