Mega Removes Legal Files Citing Bogus DMCA Requests

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Mega is having a bunch of issues with removing perfectly legal content. I think it is obvious Kim Dotcom's claim of only 50 take down requests a day is bogus and the new site clearly has issues.

To test how quickly a file is removed by Mega we decided to post some previously uploaded legal content to Mega-search.me ourselves. Our uploads included a few Dan Bull songs, a clip from the Pirate Bay documentary TPB-AFK, a video explaining fair use and Kim Dotcom’s single Mr. President. Quite shockingly, the files were pulled down by Mega in a matter of minutes, claiming they had received copyright infringement notices for each of them.

I'd give the guy a month before starting to bag on him. There's no question the copyright holders & justice department are trying to set him up as we speak.

What is even the point of this site? There are better storage options, better... ahem... options.

I don't get what the big deal is.

I think this is an automated process error. It appears that as soon as you post your file link, a bot picks up on it and sends the dmca notice automatically. Mega probably processes this automatically and blocks the account.

The fix? If your company sends too many false dmca's, they will be put on probation and manually checked. This will result in a per notice fee.

My thoughts on it.

I'm a bit lost.

If they send an illegal DMCA, isn't that considered IP infringement? They are basically claiming that file is theirs. If that's the case, shouldn't the actual owners sue them for IP Infringement? A REAL IP Infringement case?

It should be considered wire fraud, and then the bs would stop.

they are blocking the search site, if you post your file on that site your file will be taken down

Back