Gateway/HD 7750/Windows 8 upgrade problem

Long story short:

Co-worker bought a new Gateway DX4870.

It is a Core i5-3330 3.0GHz
8GB DDR3
Windows 8
300W PSU
MSI Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 card

I think those are the things that are important.

Thing is brand new out of the box. He bought it to do homework, surf and play WoW/LoL(real power user, right?). Computer comes standard with HD4000 integrated graphics. I told him he could use one of my cards while he did shopping to get a new card. I figured as it was just a 7750 it shouldnt require that much power, especially since it doesnt require any leads from the PSU itself. I did tell him though, that any card he got that was newer/more powerful, he would have to upgrade his PSU.

On to the problem:
When he is in desktop the computer works as intended with the new card, with the exception of the Windows 8 start screen where the tiles will no longer scroll when you move the mouse to the right, so you have to minimise the tiles in order to have access to them all. Outside of that, the corners still work as intended, as does everything else as far as I can tell.

When he loads up WoW, it works fine. Game runs smoother than a babies ass on Ultra. The problem here is when he quits the game, and exits it to go back to the desktop, all he gets is a black screen.

In conclusion, my guess is that he needs a better PSU. I could not find a power requirement on MSI's website. But I run the same card with a 400w PSU and have no problems.

Please keep the negative comments to a minimum. I attempted to convince him to build a machine with better parts, but he made his decision. I can only do so much.

It is a Gateway so I'm willing to bet that's a very shitty 300W PSU. A good quality 300W PSU should be more than enough for that system.

For shits and giggles, see if you can swap in a spare PSU to completely rule out the PSU as being the cause.

Also, un-install and re-install the drivers just in case.

I took a spare psu out of one of my coolermaster cases, a 400w model and switched them out and it still did it. I went to uninstall and reinstall the drivers but it did the whole black screen thing and I couldn't get it to come back. So I just hard shut down and took the card out and left the psu in his case. He ordered a new 7750 with 2gb gddr5 and we will try again. I'm about it try the card in my box in a few minutes since its the same card I use, just a different manufacturer so I won't have to change anything just to see if the card isn't bad.

You said this happens with WoW, does it happen with LoL also? What about other games? Sounds like the game isn't terminating its grasp on video resources correctly. Try a different game and let us know. Also, don't run a 300W power supply with a configuration that requires a video card. You should run at least 400W; that 300W is only 205W output more than likely.

9.2.0.0. Uninstalled drivers and card and reinstalled and still get the same problems. I haven't been able to try a different game.

Pretty sure AMD is on 13.1 now. Why are you still running 9.2?

I had windows 8 update and realized that was wrong. Just installed the drivers from 1/29 and it did it during install. Black screen.

Ok, a little bit of an update. I installed an old GT520 I have sitting around for shits and giggles. It works as intended in everything I do. I am now guessing that this is a problem with ATI's drivers for Win8.

Edit: tried ATIs new 13.2 beta drivers and it seems to be working the way I want it with the 7750.

Last edited:
Back