AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD sends word that the new Catalyst 13.2 Beta drivers are now available. Grab them if you need them.

• Improves performance up to 15% in high MSAA cases for the Crysis 3 beta release
  • Future updates will be made to AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta to further improve performance in Crysis 3 for both single GPU and CrossFire configurations
  • Significantly improves latency performance in Skyrim, Boderlands 2, and Guild Wars 2
  • Improves single GPU performance up to 50% for DmC Devil May Cry
  • Improves CrossFire performance up to 10% for Crysis 2
  • Resolves Texture flickering seen in DirectX9.0c applications.

The installation set the resoltuion to 640x480 on my Fujitsu P27T-6 27" 2560x1440 monitor (painfull!), but after a reboot all seems well...

Now that is some great news! Looks like The Tech Report is really lighting a fire under AMD's driver team with their frame time based benchmarks. http://techreport.com/news/24136/dr...e-radeon-frame-latencies-in-series-of-updates

i'm pretty excited about the improved/fixed latency issues with my 7970. been noticing hitching/stuttering in a lot of games i play (frame drops below 60fps but still above 30fps) yet it feels like i'm walking thru a night club only lit with strobe lights.

wish i could test the betas but main rig (with 7970) is on workbench getting the WC loop re-done. stuck with my old 5850 atm, guessing these drivers won't do much for these older gen cards.

I'd love to see AMD stop putting all their effort into maxing the latest flavor of the month and make the god damn thing stable in Win7/Win8. I couldn't give two craps about the Crysis beta (played it for 15 min then uninstalled) how about some freaking stability?

I'm still stuck using 12.8's because there is some flickering bug that showed up in at 12.9+

Did a fresh install of Win7, fresh install of Win 8 (that's a whole other can of worms there)

I love AMD for their compute performace - but it's getting down to the last straw here in terms of pissing me off.

Bah.. nothing for Planetside2 and improving its CFX scaling. Boo

AMD can't fix that, has nothing to do with the drivers and cards. the games hard core cpu limited. as much as i liked planetside 2 i have no clue what the developers were thinking limiting the game to 2 threads(windows load balancing doesn't count for people that don't know the difference). hell even my shitty 8800GT's in SLI with the game completely maxed out don't even go over 40% load and i still get 30fps with minimum and maximum settings. fun game, but developed 10 years to late engine wise.

Last edited:
Ok i installed it but no i cant select a Profile ( running in tri fire ) for the game i want to play anymore, I used to scroll down the select the game from a drop down list and its gone, Any ideas? Yes i re installed cap profiles.

Does this apply to 6000-series GPUs? Or are these benefits for 7000-series only, like 13.1 was?

Oh crap so should i un install them? i actually re installed the Cap profiles after i installed these drivers

I'd love to see AMD stop putting all their effort into maxing the latest flavor of the month and make the god damn thing stable in Win7/Win8. I couldn't give two craps about the Crysis beta (played it for 15 min then uninstalled) how about some freaking stability?

I'm still stuck using 12.8's because there is some flickering bug that showed up in at 12.9+

Did a fresh install of Win7, fresh install of Win 8 (that's a whole other can of worms there)

I love AMD for their compute performace - but it's getting down to the last straw here in terms of pissing me off.

"Resolves Texture flickering seen in DirectX9.0c applications."

looks like they have done some fix on that... ;)

OK FARCRY 3 in Direct X 11 still is CHOPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At 80 FPS to 100FPS!! WTF, I Still get flickering in Tri- Fire or Crossfire on a bunch of games still in Direct X 9.

Yes but the flickering I experienced was in Windows itself -- no games, nothing 3D.

If I had nothing better to do I'd love to reinstall Win8 and give it a spin... for now though I'm back on tried and true Win7 with the solid 12.8's

OK FARCRY 3 in Direct X 11 still is CHOPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At 80 FPS to 100FPS!! WTF, I Still get flickering in Tri- Fire or Crossfire on a bunch of games still in Direct X 9.

I didn't see FC3 included in this list ;). They're probably still working on it.
Significantly improves latency performance in Skyrim, Boderlands 2, and Guild Wars 2

But they listed that in the last two drivers and don’t say what games. So what does it mean this time?

Im still running drivers that came with my asus 7970:p Would this be a good upgrade?

Far Cry 3 is choppy no matter what your cards are. My 480 and 7970 both do the exact same thing

I installed these but AMD Overdrive was missing from the CCC and my GPU Fan was stuck at 100% :(

Rolled back to 13.1 and all is good.

just updated to 13.1 but when i OC, it only lasts for a bit then goes back to default settings.

Yea the stuttering in Skyrim is gone. No need to cap your frames anymore.

Even put on some super sampling with mods....DAMN was over 3gb of memory used.....daamn

DASHIT were you able to run skyrim @ >60hz without having the exploding rooms issue they attribute to framerates that are higher than 60?

[L]imey;1039565839 said:
DASHIT were you able to run skyrim @ >60hz without having the exploding rooms issue they attribute to framerates that are higher than 60?

Hmmm I know what you are talking about. Let me go run around in some rooms with shit see what happens.

So far I havent had a room explode, but numerous rooms I would enter, I could hear things being moved around.....so partially fixed?

AND I think there is a bug with MSI Afterburner and Cat 13.2.....For some odd reason it is showing GPU memory usage being way too funky.

Even with SuperSampling off. I would get around 4-5gb used in memory....Now am I not sure if MSI AB just lumps the 2 cards video memory into one....I wouldn't think it would.

Thanks for the info, I only have a single 7970, but I'm hoping to play using my new 120hz monitor :)

It is smooth from the brief look I took this morning.

[L]imey;1039565907 said:
Thanks for the info, I only have a single 7970, but I'm hoping to play using my new 120hz monitor :)

It is smooth from the brief look I took this morning.

yea pretty nice if you ask me. Perfect timing with dragonborn DLC coming out.

Question, Does your memory usage go all funky while playing skyrim?

I havent checked, but will do when I get home tonight. I read somewhere else about afterburner reporting odd memory usage with these drivers... it was either techpowerup or guru3d, but I can't remember which.

CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru

#4513999 Posted on: 01/30/2013 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teppic
I've tried running Skyrim with 4xAA adaptive with edge detect filter and it seems to run perfectly smooth and looks great. No stutters, no texture flicker.
What is your fps and are you running any mods? For comparison to my rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Skyrim flicker is now gone and over all its much much smoother not 100% though as im still getting some lag outside riften despite fps being 90+ sofar a great driver for skyrim.
Are you running skyrim with vsync off? If I turn it off in the .ini file the physics go freakin nuts and sometimes when entering a room the objects on the tables and shelves start flying around? Is there a fix to this I am not aware of? Also are you running any mods? 90+ fps is really good if your using a lot of mods. With my Extreme ENB graphics mod, 2k textures for almost everything, more grass and trees mod, smoke/fog mod, water texture mod, and running the game with 8xAA and 16xAF I get 60fps a lot of the time but it dips to low 40's when looking out into the distance thats got a lot of trees, buildings, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illnino
lol thought id try Crysis 3 beta, everything max'd out @ 2560x1440p 30 fps lol MSIafterburner reported it was using 5739MB ram
5739MB is BOTH cards memory combined. You have to halve that which is 2869.5MB, that is what the game is actually using. As both cards 3GB of VRAM is mirrored from one card to the other so its basically the same pool of memory. It happened to me as well when I had Crossfire 7970's Battlefield 3 using Afterburner would read something like 3400MB+/-

Was Guru3d.... seems like it's combining the memory pool for reporting out.

[L]imey;1039565941 said:
Was Guru3d.... seems like it's combining the memory pool for reporting out.

that explains everything :) so as long as I stay under 6gb im good.

I know I did hit 5gb with SSAA and edge-detect going.....might have to go try that again.

Thanks a ton

Back