Music Industry Wants Cash Instead of ISP Disconnections

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know how the music industry says stopping piracy "isn't about the money?" Yeah, about that.... :(

For years entertainment companies have put huge efforts into campaigns to inflict so-called “three strikes” campaigns on errant Internet users who download music and movies for free. The ultimate sanction of disconnection has always been touted as necessary in order for people to take things seriously but over in France, a country that pioneered graduated response, it seems that the music biz now wants to ditch disconnections in favor of fines.

Who would have guessed right?

In some ways I hope the new mega music thingy kills off the RIAA, but hey one can only hope and dream.

Then as a customer I want cheap upgrades for all the 8 tracks I have to HD audio.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, every law on the books from murder to jaywalking is about one thing and one thing only, money. Period. End of Story.

The notion of justice is a hollow hoax. If you can sue a ham sandwich, get a judgement and make it pay, then you will. This is no different.

RIAA is a nuisance to everyone.
I really hope this is not abused. No telling where they will draw the line to stop.
Perhaps this will die miserably like sopa/pipa

Interesting article. I actually like the direction the music industry is going with this.

I would much rather pay a fine than be arrested for downloading copyrighted material.

Interesting article. I actually like the direction the music industry is going with this.

I would much rather pay a fine than be arrested for downloading copyrighted material.

The problem the fine is not $1000. Its always $100k or more!

Why... colored me shock! This is so out of line of what they normally do! :eek::rolleyes::eek:

Why... colored me shock! This is so out of line of what they normally do! :eek::rolleyes::eek:

It is TOTALLY out of line with what they normally do.

The introduction of sane fines means they can get their cash stream, and people can ignore the law at their pleasure (just like most speeders).

I like it!

If I was a musician and had any kind of talent , I would record my own music at home and sell it myself. If it sells great , if people pirate it? Great , the more people listen to it the more likely they are to support my output.

Fucking unbelievable how crazy the RIAA is.

(Union of Independent Phonographic Producers), said that it agreed with the opinion of French music rights group SACEM that a disconnection regime should be replaced with warnings along with fines of 140 euros.

That's about 188 bucks US dollars.

If I was a musician and had any kind of talent , I would record my own music at home and sell it myself. If it sells great , if people pirate it? Great , the more people listen to it the more likely they are to support my output.
I'm sure that's easy to say and far harder to do, especially if you're trying to make a living off it.

I'm sure that's easy to say and far harder to do, especially if you're trying to make a living off it.

Actually not as much as you think , more often then not artists who simply can't get noticed end up being found via social media and music services like Spotify and the like. Making a living off it? Probably not but having my album being bootstrapped to the music industry and forever chain to that machine isn't as lucrative as it use to be. Big pop artists for instance don't make dick on albums , even if they sell well into the millions. They instead make all their money from doing years of touring and earning hundreds of thousands of dollars per show.

Self promotion means much more now. Also like I said if you actually have talent you will get noticed if you keep plugging away at it.

Of course I would have an advantage because my brother actually produces albums for a living as part of job and could get me studio time if I needed it.

That's odd, cause I now a strike system against my ISP. It's called, if you over charge me for anything, I will cancel my service. It's been going on for since, forever.

BTW, this applies to any service I happen to have. I just had EZ pass send me a letter that I ran through a toll without paying, and I know god damn well I didn't. But hey, it's my word against theirs. I think they just want me to blow my once a year free waiver.

Anytime you use money as a incentive, you're bond to cause lots of trouble. Then companies make a business around you making mistakes. Even the ones that you didn't do.

I'm glad at least according to my tastes the music industry hasn't made shit worth pirating in the past several years so I haven't had to 'risk' getting caught. I'll gladly pay for good quality music just to add to the point.

Makes sense to me, if they disconnect people eventually there will no longer be piracy, which means no more income for them from the lawsuits.

I just hope that somehow, one day, all this music industry corruption comes crashing down hard. We need artists to realize they are better off going independent, and not go with these mega corporations that will simply suck them dry.

Actually not as much as you think , more often then not artists who simply can't get noticed end up being found via social media and music services like Spotify and the like.

I think "more often than not" they are simply not found at all :p And then if you are ever found by a big name publisher, I think it'd be far easier to sell out to them than people would like to pretend. I'm sure most artists know they're signing their life and work away, they'd be fucking morons if they didn't realise that, but the desire to actually have your work enjoyed by a wide audience and getting paid a lot to do it, I wouldn't be faulting people for doing that.

Self promotion means much more now. Also like I said if you actually have talent you will get noticed if you keep plugging away at it.
Also I'll contend this point that there are a fuck load of talented people who barely get noticed and are still plugging away at it. Even if you watch those silly singing talent TV shows you can often see a lot of people who are awesome artists and have been looked over.

they probably read the reports that said that downloaders buy more than average and if you cut off the downloaders, then there goes a source of revenue for them

Actually I think the fine should be limited to twice the market value of the item pirated.
The extra $$ going only to the artist. This will stop over aggressive stupid lawyers and organizations that server no purpose but to harass.

Video and music producers should be forced to sale content that is HD at a significantly reduced price to people who have already purchased the license to listen to the content.

And brake the strangle hold cable companies + ATT have on highspeed internet time for competition. Add to that the cell companies as well. Monopolies are a joke in this country.

And tech patents should be valid for a limited amount of time

And pigs could fly...

This is about money, even if they get this it will not be enough. Pirating will still continue in some venue or another and they will still complain it is "destroying" them.

Music companies are to artists what a pay day loan is to a poor person.

They have also changed the sanction because it has been ruled that having access to Internet and thus culture is a right in France.

Back