Upgrading from GTX 460 1GB OC to GTX 660 TI - Worth it?

j0maK

n00b
I am playing a new MMO called Darkfall Unholy Wars, and compared to the old Darkfall game this seems to be utilizing the GPU a lot more, and I'm thinking of upgrading the Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB.

Is it gonna be worth it, or should I wait for the next generation?

I have no idea what that game is but in general you should always list all of your current specs in detail when starting a thread like this. that includes power supply and resolution that you wanting to play at.

You are correct.

i7-2600K @ 4.7GHz, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866 CL9 (2x8GB), Coolermaster Real Power M850 PSU, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, WD RE4 2TB, 2x Dell U2412M, Win7 x64

Current card is a Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB @ 850/2050

Gaming resolution would be 1920x1200, in fullscreen windowed mode.

that's a really nice system and overall a gtx660ti would double your frame rates over the gtx460. again though I have never heard of that game so if that is the only reason you are looking to upgrade then someone else will have to chime in.

"Waiting for the next generation" will take longer than you think. nVidia always launches the top-shelf first, then follows up with the mid-range cards once all the suc...*enthusiasts* have had their pre-orders filled and the "gotta have its" have sold out places like Newegg and Amazon for three months.

Typically it's around three months after the frenzy dies down before you see the mid-grades, and they're probably going to be targeted at the 329-349 range, which is where the GTX 670 is headed at the moment.

Wait another month or so and hope for about a thirty dollar drop over current prices, or more with MIRs. The closer you can get to the intro of the next-gen the better. Honestly going from a 460 to a 660Ti is enough of an upgrade in and of itself.

You are probably right about the mid-range release dates. Unfortunately I'm living in Greece, and price drops don't get to appear here until after a long time, and we have no MIRs.

Current price here for a 660 ti is ~300€ or 400$, and i can sell my old gtx 460 1GB for ~70€.

Back