GizmoSphere Launches an AMD APU-based Gizmo Board

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced that the newly launched Gizmo board, a low-cost board geared toward x86-based embedded system development available from GizmoSphere, is powered by an AMD Embedded G-Series Accelerated Processing Unit (APU). Gizmo is a 4-inch by 4-inch x86 development board that can run a variety of operating systems including Android, Linux®, RTOSes and Windows®. AMD is a founding member of GizmoSphere, a not-for-profit organization whose collective goal is to drive and enable technology projects of interest to independent developers, with a focus on stimulating and encouraging innovation around multicore heterogeneous computing using APUs.

Good idea but for $200 it isn't going anywhere. There are plenty of ARM boards out there for way less all using way less than 10W.

This post must be killing the gizmosphere.org site.

I've never heard of AMD G-series, just the A- and E-series. Is that their ARM processor line?

It's a real x86 dual core with directx11 GPU.
It seemed quite laggy in that car computer demo though, people are used to smoth instant response like you get on a phone or tablet, hopefully it's just a software problem.

I really did expect this to be more expensive than a Raspberry Pi due to the fact that the CPU is likely more expensive, and that the board requires an actual chipset and BIOS - but not $165 more expensive!! I could totally see getting one of these for ~$80-$100 though.

Some specs from the website: http://www.gizmosphere.org/why-gizmo/gizmoboard/#docs
AMD
G-Series
APU
AMD Embedded G-Series G-T40E APU
Dual core
1GHz operating frequency
6.4W thermal design power
1MB L2 cache
Integrated Radeon HD 6250 GPU
GPU frequency 280MHz
Board supports T56N APU (1.8GHz)​
AMD A55E G-Series platform controller hub
PCIe interface: 4×1 Gen 2
PCI: 33MHz 4 slots
SATA: 6x 6Gb/s with RAID 0,1,5,10
USB: 14 v2.0, 2 v1.1
HD audio: up to 4 channels
102 max GPIOs​
I can understand it to be $200, but yeah, should be a little cheaper. It is running a 1.8 GHz APU, fully featured Radeon 6250 GPU and a chipset though.

Some specs from the website: http://www.gizmosphere.org/why-gizmo/gizmoboard/#docs
AMD
G-Series
APU
AMD Embedded G-Series G-T40E APU
Dual core
1GHz operating frequency
6.4W thermal design power
1MB L2 cache
Integrated Radeon HD 6250 GPU
GPU frequency 280MHz
Board supports T56N APU (1.8GHz)​
AMD A55E G-Series platform controller hub
PCIe interface: 4×1 Gen 2
PCI: 33MHz 4 slots
SATA: 6x 6Gb/s with RAID 0,1,5,10
USB: 14 v2.0, 2 v1.1
HD audio: up to 4 channels
102 max GPIOs​
I can understand it to be $200, but yeah, should be a little cheaper. It is running a 1.8 GHz APU, fully featured Radeon 6250 GPU and a chipset though.
I may understand the cost due to the content.

But why this?

This could have been a super small form factor HTPC but they crippled the Sound to 4 channels and have VGA out.
They could have been a DIY windows tablet if they had flattened it out a bit more even if it got a larger footprint.
Seems overpowered for and embedded controller.

Back