Netflix Beats Wall Street Estimates

again analyst's, forecasters, projection planners don't have a crystal ball, all about current and previous data, and where they think it is going.

I'm not defending them, in fact I kind of despise them sometimes, like the ones that jump the ship before it sinks as they saw where the graph and numbers were going (although it doesn't help when the company is out pricing itself every time).

Is it me or is the picture of the Netflix financial statement in the article missing the last two lines over the [H] one... namely the line that shows a loss of $51 million in Free Cash Flow?

Is it me or is the picture of the Netflix financial statement in the article missing the last two lines over the [H] one... namely the line that shows a loss of $51 million in Free Cash Flow?

Or how about with almost 1 billion dollars worth of revenue but posting only 8 million dollars in profit.

Or how about with almost 1 billion dollars worth of revenue but posting only 8 million dollars in profit.

That's the penalty for using OPIP (Other People's Intellectual Property) ;) ... besides Amazon posts revenues in the 13 billion range with losses in the hundreds of millions so Netflix isn't that bad off :cool:

again analyst's, forecasters, projection planners don't have a crystal ball, all about current and previous data, and where they think it is going.

And most of the time they still project bullshit. Without question the most overpaid aspect of that industry.

Until something goes live and to market , you simply can't know what its final out come will be no matter how good your previous research informs you. Entropy is the only prediction anyone can be assured of.

Amazing how much better your company does when the CEO shuts his mouth for a little while and they stop doing everything they can to piss of the customers who give them money.

Amazing how much better your company does when the CEO shuts his mouth for a little while and they stop doing everything they can to piss of the customers who give them money.

Very true. Now all they have to do is actually start getting some current content and I'll be happy ;)

Very true. Now all they have to do is actually start getting some current content and I'll be happy ;)

Well, that is more in the control of the studios ... I am wondering if Netflix might add the rental model of Vudu, Amazon, and iTunes though so that they can get access to the newer movies for streaming ... I wouldn't hold my breath on getting new movies for streaming while they are still in the sale/rental window though (from any legal service) ... studios would want too much money to make that viable ;)

Well, that is more in the control of the studios ... I am wondering if Netflix might add the rental model of Vudu, Amazon, and iTunes though so that they can get access to the newer movies for streaming ... I wouldn't hold my breath on getting new movies for streaming while they are still in the sale/rental window though (from any legal service) ... studios would want too much money to make that viable ;)

If they were to even suggest that, all the self entitled titty babies would throw a fit that Netflix was asking for more money. Personally, I wish they'd just double their rates and get more content, but everyone wants something for nothing so they can't raise prices without everyone going apeshit about it.

Exactly, but its the same with Facebook.

These motherfuckers are CEO who aren't really built to play the CEO bullshit game. So they make stupid ass statements and decisions that drive the stock price in the interim.

Hey at least Neflix isn't Tim Cooking the company into the ground yet.

If they were to even suggest that, all the self entitled titty babies would throw a fit that Netflix was asking for more money. Personally, I wish they'd just double their rates and get more content, but everyone wants something for nothing so they can't raise prices without everyone going apeshit about it.

Agree ... I just got a Roku so I am able to use the other rental services in addition to my Netflix (previously my Blu Ray software only had access to Hulu, Netflix, and Vudu ... not Amazon Prime) ... I am actually one of the few folks that kept the dual service on my Netflix (I have streaming + 2 Blu Rays at a time) ... the combo works well for me since most of the new stuff I want is on Blu Ray long before streaming (and renting the blu rays from Netflix is much cheaper than buying them ;) )... if the rental services like Vudu start getting releases well ahead of Netflix I might actually start renting an occasional title though ... the Vudu quality seems very good :cool:

I continue to marvel at all the scorn and hatred heaped upon Netflix when they truly continue to be singular in their field. They've still go so much more to offer than services like Hulu and Amazon VOD, but people seem to hate their guts.

Sometimes I think the animosity is ginned up by the MPAA and their cohorts who see Netflix as a threat to their current business models.

I continue to marvel at all the scorn and hatred heaped upon Netflix when they truly continue to be singular in their field. They've still go so much more to offer than services like Hulu and Amazon VOD, but people seem to hate their guts.

Sometimes I think the animosity is ginned up by the MPAA and their cohorts who see Netflix as a threat to their current business models.

No it isn't. Netflix's cash on hand pales in comparison to the others in the field. The problem with Netflix is that there isn't a whole lot of room them to grow.

They don't charge enough, which they are kinda fucked when content providers want more money and people will leave if they double prices, not to mention that other providers will come in if they are charging too much and try to undercut. That is if people truly are paying 29.99 a month for netflix vs cable per say.

The other problem is that with all the money they owe out to content providers and how much it costs to provide their DVD arm there really isn't huge profit margin for them to attract investors and there isn't a huge push for them to globally expand due to their cash on hand problem so new subscriptions will lag for a little bit until earnings prove other wise.

No it isn't. Netflix's cash on hand pales in comparison to the others in the field. The problem with Netflix is that there isn't a whole lot of room them to grow.

They don't charge enough, which they are kinda fucked when content providers want more money and people will leave if they double prices, not to mention that other providers will come in if they are charging too much and try to undercut. That is if people truly are paying 29.99 a month for netflix vs cable per say.

The other problem is that with all the money they owe out to content providers and how much it costs to provide their DVD arm there really isn't huge profit margin for them to attract investors and there isn't a huge push for them to globally expand due to their cash on hand problem so new subscriptions will lag for a little bit until earnings prove other wise.

In other words, they're forgoing the bottom line in favor of changing the industry. Shouldn't that make them revered as a corporation? Don't people constantly bitch about companies worrying about profits(the entire point of starting companies) and wish that there were some sort of "noble" goal?

In other words, they're forgoing the bottom line in favor of changing the industry. Shouldn't that make them revered as a corporation? Don't people constantly bitch about companies worrying about profits(the entire point of starting companies) and wish that there were some sort of "noble" goal?

No that isn't how it works at all. Just look at Facebook for an example.

Investors are greedy, and most demand percentages of x amount per year as returns. Probably no less than 8 percent. When inflationary growth is around 3 percent investors demand double that. And this is probably on the cheaper funds.

Some fund managers are looking for double digit returns. Biggest scam in history. Middle class people burn at the stake people on wall street, but almost everyone has a 401k and almost everyone demands a decent return just so they have enough money in retirement.

No that isn't how it works at all. Just look at Facebook for an example.

Investors are greedy, and most demand percentages of x amount per year as returns. Probably no less than 8 percent. When inflationary growth is around 3 percent investors demand double that. And this is probably on the cheaper funds.

Some fund managers are looking for double digit returns. Biggest scam in history. Middle class people burn at the stake people on wall street, but almost everyone has a 401k and almost everyone demands a decent return just so they have enough money in retirement.

...if that's not how it works, then why isn't Netflix charging more? Those awful, awful hedge fund managers don't seem to be getting their way.

...if that's not how it works, then why isn't Netflix charging more? Those awful, awful hedge fund managers don't seem to be getting their way.

I already said this. They can't. You can't double prices without outrage. They already tried this by spinning off the DVD business which was the same as raising prices 60 percent.

Cable is like 60 dollars a month at least here it is and probably on average. This is for basic and doesn't include fees which vary by state.

So if Netflix was charging 30 dollars a month would it be profitable? Meaning would it still bring in clients? If the answer is yes to that then Google and Amazon are going to step up to the plate.

And if Google are Amazon steps into the space it is going to be like a train trying to stop at full speed. They will bid the content to the moon. They will either put netflix out of business overnight or force them to sell, providing they have something they need, which I don't think they do.

I don't think people are loyal to netflix. Just quit and see how many emails you get from netflix offering a free month.

I think what is keeping the Google at bay is that fact that the content providers can raise contract prices over night. It is a headache when one second they want X more dollars.

Its not something Google can say "ok this month it will cost 15 dollars a month for Google Online Movies".

And Apple will never do it because they are content with taking 30 percent off the top of the content.

Thats the problem. Ask yourself. Do you think Netflix is making a 30 percent margin on every customer per month? The answer is no.

Sold a week or so ago at 100 FUUUU

Was not expecting this earnings to be positive.

Back