How To Make Your Own Coil Gun

Careful [H], if we like this guy to much we might be label as terrorist.
Hopefully his stupidity act won't catch the eyes of they who must not be named!

Wondering what country he is saying he's from where he says he can only get a butter knife.

I don't know which is more impressive. That he is still alive or that he manages to keep a straight face:p

I love this guy's videos. Solid comedy gold and I can't even imagine how painful some of that shit is.

I like how the smoking comes from below and not from the actual wires he says might be too small.

Yes, now when I kill someone I'll be saving the environment, as well as killing bad guys!

I forsee new legislation to keep coil guns out of the hands of the insane [insert poster boy's video here]

Wow.. Everyone is talking about how silly this guy is & I am left thinking how fast I could get a projectile going with an 18650 li-ion or 2 that I have hanging around..

Wow.. Everyone is talking about how silly this guy is & I am left thinking how fast I could get a projectile going with an 18650 li-ion or 2 that I have hanging around..

Nah, what you do, you get a car and strap a big arse alternator to its engine, hook the generator to a big arse coil capable of taking plenty of current, tweak it to the correct frequency, fun stuff.

All glory to the hypnobrows....

I'm sitting here looking at my bench power supplies and trying not to run out and buy some coil wire.

I'm wondering if you got a decent charge built up in a capacitor and discharged it nearly instantly,what you could accomplish. Of course the current would melt most wire. But if you encased the wire in a decent heat sink, it might live.

Would have lived longer if he had a simple flyback dampening circuit. A single 1N4007 diode would make the coil shut down faster, less drag on the projectile and no more spikes to damage the MOSFET/FET/etc. But then the guy can't give it ALL away, and this way he gets another fun meltdown. :cool:

More coils = more field
More current = more field
tighter coil = more field

fairly straight forward on how to get more of a pull/push. Use aluminum to get it moving faster (less weight), not sure your battery will do much though.

More coils = more field

fairly straight forward on how to get more of a pull/push. Use aluminum to get it moving faster (less weight), not sure your battery will do much though.
Aluminum may not be the best material. Just a hunch.

More coils = more field

Aluminum may not be the best material. Just a hunch.

lol, it sounds silly, but he's actually right, i think the navy uses aluminum projectiles in their big rail guns, of course they have some magnetic bits in there somewhere to make it run... but the projectile they use is mostly aluminum..

Wondering what country he is saying he's from where he says he can only get a butter knife.

He says kitchen knife, actually. I have a 9" carbon steel kitchen knife that could eviscerate someone quite readily.

Oh, I was reluctant to watch this video, because most videos tend to be unbearably stupid, but this guy is pretty funny, and looks like he's having a lotta fun doing these. Good job!

Back