Is the Dell S2740L ok for gaming?

Fifer05

n00b
I am looking to get my first IPS monitor and upgrade to "27". 1080p is enough for what i do just watching tv/movies, doing basic Photoshop and some light gaming. I am concerned about ghosting? I am not a hardcore gamer but i do play some FPS games like CSS. Minor problems i usually don't even notice (i was playing on a 720P:eek: "32" TV) but if the ghosting is extremely bad making FPS unplayable it would be a deal breaker.

I was worried about the same thing, I play CS GO and went from a low latency TN panel to an IPS. I did notice that there was a little more motion blur but it hasn't changed my game play at all, also going from 1200p to 1440p was a huge change. IPS panels kick so much ass when it comes to colors vs my TN, I couldn't believe how crisp and clear they were compared to it.

IMHO if you can, wait a month and spend a little more on this monitor,

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=9579

27 inch, 1440p. Uses the same panels in the Apple Cinema displays but just comes with a DVI connection (since it has no scaler, this will benefit you in FPS games as it lessens the input lag) only thing I hate is it has a pretty crappy stand. I have owned one for a month now and absolutely love it.

Last edited:
S2740L has a lot of overshoot from overdrive and you can't configure or disable it.

S2740L has a lot of overshoot from overdrive and you can't configure or disable it.

Whether most people would even notice that is debatable. I know of a few people with the S2740L who don't notice any issues during gaming whatsoever.

OP, I do believe you can get an S2740L from Amazon and if you don't like it than you can return it no questions asked. Maybe worth a shot?

thanks for the input, i think i am going to just wait until Best Buy has it again and return if its not what i want, istead of risking $30 in return shipping.

I use it for games on a regular basis and don't notice any issues. Don't let other people tell you what kind of gamer you are or what should or shouldn't bother you, try one and find out for yourself.

Getting one from Best Buy is a good idea since it's easy to return it, Fry's also has them if you have one of those near you and thats where I got mine.

you can peel off it's matte coating if you want a glossy display since it users a matte sticker

That's not good advice at all. It's nowhere near that easy, your warranty will be voided, and you will be left with an unprotected display.

That's not good advice at all. It's nowhere near that easy, your warranty will be voided, and you will be left with an unprotected display.

It's just a sticker bro. You peel it off in a few seconds flat.

IMO it is only suitable for casual gamers & display users since it ghosts so much

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/g...-1920x1080-edge-ege-glass-ips.html#post872546

Get the LG IPS277L it's basically the same as the Dell but it does not have ghosting issues and you can peel off it's matte coating if you want a glossy display since it users a matte sticker

Personally have noticed 0 ghosting but I don't game competitively. Rarely fps even. Mostly mmorpg or emulators and the image quality and color for a 1080p display is amazing. Quite an upgrade from my ultra sharp 2405 I tell ya that. Now whether or not a glossy screen is a pro or a con is another story :p

Back