Advice Please. Is this Prolimatech mk-26 on 7970 With Mod Safe?

mattycarroll

Weaksauce
Hello.

Recently installed a sapphire vapor x 7970 and it sounded like a hoover, it was awful, so i have installed a prolimatech MK-26 with some Noctua fans and its 100 times quieter and cooler. Anyway, the card really sags so i have used some Tieclips to hold the card up, it doesnt sag as much but am i putting pressure on anywhere else instead?
I tried propping card up from the bottom but it resulted in a increase in temperature so i presume the pressure on the fan was putting extra pressure on the heatsink?
Anyway, first two photos are before the tieclip ( you can see the severe sag) and the last two are after my mod. Thanks for advice. The tie clip mod doesnt affect temperatures or Noise, i did it to take pressure of the gfx card board and PCI-E slot on the motherboard but someone told me it could be dangerous? Thanks for any advice:-

P1010975_zpse7ed19d6.jpg

P1010977_zpsba3663e3.jpg

P1010978_zps48261ea9.jpg

P1010979_zpsd6f4f4c7.jpg

That looks kick ass but unsafe. Get it supported with something and it should be fine.

How does it cool?

It cools fantastic! Temperatures around 60 degrees, down from 80, VRM's low 50's and NO NOISE at all. I am a proper silence fanatic so when i say no noise, i Mean no noise!

I sent a Email to prolimatech yesterday explaining the situation and asking if it was safe. I got a response back today asking for photos etc and they will refer to their engineers for advice. I have referred them to this forum so will update if any further news/updates.

I sent a Email to prolimatech yesterday explaining the situation and asking if it was safe. I got a response back today asking for photos etc and they will refer to their engineers for advice. I have referred them to this forum so will update if any further news/updates.

I'm 99% positive they are going to tell you do do this at your own risk. That heat sink was never designed to be used as a video card cooler. :D

That looks quite good, unfortunately it wouldn't work as the heatsink is longer than the board of the card. I already tried propping the right side of the card up by placing something under one of the fans but it increased the temperatures quite a lot, must have put a lot of extra pressure on the heatsink?
The only way I think it can be supported is from above the card due to the heatsink length been longer the board of the card?

If you don't think that powerjack will work, try one (or both) of the other solutions posted. Even with your mod, I would feel better if something else was helping support the card.

Im giong to try and get one of them card keepers i think. I cannot find them in the uk but will ship one over from the US if required.

Rofl, can you imagine the megahalems sticking out of the bottom of the gpu? Would look pretty silly lol

People do all sorts of stupid shit you sometimes just don't know what to say.

I mean, look at this:

http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?buildid=11490

Is a lowly 260 worth bothering to put TWO HR-03 GTX's, a TEC, and a means to set up and power the TEC?

All that shit costs as much as the card itself.

For that price he paid for that stuff, he could have gotten a 285 or a 4870X2 all along...

wow, that is pretty amazing, but I agree, not worth it. It is different if you are experimenting with leftover parts with little value, but I don't think that was the case.

Here is the response back from Prolimatech, i must say the new fans they are recomending have very good specs. My noctua fans are 330grams each and these are only 90grams each so when there are two fans on, they make quite a lot of difference!

EMAIL 1

Dear Sir,

According to our engineers, they mentioned that the fulcrum (the red circle of the attached mk-26.jpg picture) is on the left side; therefore, the right side (yellow part) will have the bent problem when you mount heavy fan on the right side.
The weight of MK-26 is similar to standard stock cooler (maybe heavier, but not big difference), you could weight your stock cooler to check about it.

We would suggest you to use light fans, such as our Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 fan.
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=1906&subid=1908#showtab
We use two USV 14 fans on MK-26 on our computers and didn't have serious bent problem.

Best regards,

mk-26_zps06d564fe.jpg

USV14onMK-26-3_zps0f89ca6c.jpg

USV14onMK-26-1_zps3b9192f9.jpg

EMAIL 2

Dear Mat,

We made some tests of USV 14 fan pk other brand 14025 fans internally. Please see the attached pictures of our internal test for your information.
You'll find out that USV 14 fan beats Noctua NF-P14 from the test. After you have the USV 14 fans, please also test them with your other 14025 fans.
You'll be surprised of USV 14 fan's performance. If possible, could you please also share with us of your testing afterwards?
We would love to know about it. =)

Here's the link of one of our UK resellers:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_results.php?sortby=&groupid=&search=prolimatech
Please contact them for Prolimatech USV 14 fans. We've been arranging a batch of USV 14 fans to Europe already. I think they should have the USV 14 fans in stock soon.
BTW, you'll also need the USV 14 fan clips to mount the USV 14 fan on Megahalems and MK-26. Please see the attached flyer of USV 14 fan series clip.

Thank you for supporting Prolimatech.

Best regards,

1_zps76b2cd2d.jpg

2_zpsd6419509.jpg

3_zpsbb128cdf.jpg

4_zps73727daa.jpg

5_zps0f737e11.jpg

6_zps258d095c.jpg

7_zps6aac7be1.jpg

8_zpsbba1d7a6.jpg

Last edited:
Get some sort of rope to balance the weight of the cooler to the upwards of the case, tie one end to one of the screw openings of the card, and the other end into the PSU area and try to pull it up.

Then get some 38mm thick higher speed fans since you're doing with single GPU and haul ass.

They want you to test out their fans? You should definitely ask them to send the fans to you! You already bought the big heatsink.

I'm glad they are helping you out but that heat sink is HUGE!!!! And the VIBRATION from the fans constantly going through the GPU core then the weight on the on PCB. Can't be good for the card.

I'm sure it cools great though. :D

I sent the following email back to prolimatech, fingers crossed they will send me some fans to test for them but i dont have much faith!

Thanks for the information. The new fans look fantastic!
I have spoken to overclockers uk today and they inform me they dont know when the fans will be instock but should be in by a month or so.
I cannot really wait a month to be honest as i am too worried about the weight of the heatsink so I am going to take off the prolimatech mk-26 and go back to the stock cooling until i can get some lighter weight fans, i think its too heavy. What i dont understand is, the USV14 fan has only just been released, what fans did you test the mk-26 with initially as the heatsink has been out for quite a while now and on the website there is no mention of using light weight fans?
Anyway, thanks for help and support, when i get some new fans in the future i will update you but cannot run this at present as i fear it is putting too much stress on the card and motherboard.
I was secretly hoping Prolimatech would like me to be a guinie pig and test these new fans in a real world scenario, if so, i am willing to take lots of photos and tests for you if you can spare me some fans!
Can i ask one more question, do i need the USV14 fan clips becuase the fans are thinner than normal? The prolimatech Megahalem and prolimatech mk-26 i have installed already come with fan clips, will these not work?

I hope this works out for you and I think you are doing the right thing by not using it till you get the card properly supported with fans that are not as heavy and better balanced for less vibration.

Well, had a excellent resonse from Prolimatech today, they are sending me 3 fans and fan clips and also some additional goodies to test. Here are 3 emails from them. I really like the look of the Fan mounting kit, that looks very good.

A few other companies should take note of prolimatech for customer service. I have had quite a few prolimatech products in the past and they are rewarding me for my custom which is a rarity these days!

Dear Mat,

I've discussed it with my superior. If you could take lots of photos and do some interesting tests of USV 14 fan and post them on different forums, we would love to provide you some USV 14 fans and USV 14 fan clips.
There are 4 varieties USV 14 fan clips. Please see the attached flyer of the USV 14 fan clip.

If the photos and tests arouse people's interest, we would love to provide you more samples of our new coming fans.

How do you think about that?

Best regards,

Dear Mathew,

Thank you for the prompt reply and we would love to send you 3 USV 14 fans, MK-26 and Megahalems USV 14 fan clips (each fan clip package includes 4pcs clips to mount 2pcs USV 14 fans)
Do you have Noctua 14cm fan? Our USV 14 can beat Noctua's 14cm fan too from our internal test.

Please also offer us with your contact phone number for EMS (express mail) shipping use.
We'll arrange to send you USV 14 fans and fan clips by EMS next week and will send you shipping notice afterwards.
And we would love to offer you with more samples in the future.

BTW, do you have interest of our FMK-01 (Fan Mounting Kit) and Magnetic Pin (attached with the picture and flyer for your information)?

Prolimatech FMK-01 (Fan Mounting Kit) :
The Fan Mounting Kit provides you with the ability to mount an additional four fans inside your case!
It is an excellent cooling solution for cases with poor air flow, especially smaller case designs like HTPCs.

http://www.prolimatech.com/uploadfile/en/news/UploadPic/20129251437170305.jpg
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=1736&subid=1738#showtab

Best regards,

Dear Matthew,

From the test, please note that we test both USV 14 fan and other brand fans all at 1,000 RPM.
USV 14 fan will beat other brand fans at fair condition (all at 1,000 RPM). :)

Best regards,

i hope these fans are as good as they look, i will hold out any judgement until i receive them to test. They are much lighter than the noctua which weights 330grams each and the prolimatech only weight 90 grams so they should stop the graphics card board bending so much. Also, if the fan specs are correct, they will put out more cooling at 1000rpm than the noctuas at 1500rpm and less noise.

I've always loved their products and it looks like they are a great company all around as well. Hopefully they continue to provide us with great products for a long time to come.

I did get the fans. The fans themselves are fantastic from a volume and cooling point of view. They didnt improve the sagging of the graphics card though and i had to re-attach the tie clips to support the heatsink. I am very impressed with the fans though, they are much quieter than my previous noctua fans and produce much better temperatures, especially on the CPU heatsink BUT it is hard to compare as the noctua fans were 120mm and these are 140mm. I will update this post soon as they sent me loads of stuff to be honest. I am VERY impressed with them and will deffo use their products in the future as their customer service is excellent!

This is what they sent me:-
P1010982_zps083a1f26.jpg

Still bent even with the lighter fans on:-
P1010988_zps2c15bba6.jpg
P1010989_zpsdc753d1b.jpg

Back with the Tie-Clip installed:-
P1010992_zpsbe991067.jpg

They sent me a FMK1 which i havent installed yet but it is to connect the fans to so they are not attached to the actual gfx card. To be honest, i cannot imagine it will make a difference but i am going to try it soon, here are the details.
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=987&page=1

Very impressed with their customer service though, what a great company.

Any updates on the bending problem and solutions? My 7970 bends like mad when the fans are attached and I have to hold the board artificially upwards a little in order not to get black screens and various restarts.

Back