Intel Presents Stephen Hawking With Birthday Gift

HardOCP News

[H] News
At a ceremony at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology in Cambridge, Intel presented a unique birthday gift to Professor Stephen Hawking. The gift featured the message “Happy Birthday Stephen Hawking” inscribed hundreds of times on a one of a kind 300mm silicon wafer typically used for mass production of Intel chips. The new COSMOS Mk IX supercomputer, hosted at the Stephen Hawking Centre for Theoretical Cosmology and part of the UK DiRAC Facility, is based on Intel technology and will help answer fundamental questions about the origin and structure of the universe.

Two weeks late! But still very cool nonetheless. Hope they didn't make it so small that it'll trigger a black hole. I'm sure Hawking would love to study it in details, but not that badly!

That's his trademark. He can't change now.

He's been offered much more natural speech options but refuses them because of the fact that he is known for his voice being the way it is.

It may not be the best voice in the world but for a man who can't speak , its completely associated with him which is pretty impressive.

Awesome Birthday present as well. Nice one Intel.

That's his trademark. He can't change now.

Oh c'mon! I'd love to see him trucking around with an LCD screen sporting Max Headroom or Ronald Reagan style from Back To The Future 2. :cool:

LOL. I was thinking maybe a voice box, but at this point anything would be an upgrade.

The gps ladyvoice might make for some mild amusement.

Sidenote: There was some radio show, I think O&A, where someone made the joke to roll him into a room full of bees and see if he blinks. I was on the floor for ten minutes.

That's a big ass silicon wafer, we usually work on a bit smaller ones...

Back