Analyst Predicts Xbox Brand Will Be Sold To Sony

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft will sell its Xbox brand to "someone like Sony?" Ummm, this guy is smoking crack if he thinks that would ever happen. I had to double check the calendar to make sure it's not April 1st. :rolleyes:

And chief amongst the victims of this downfall will be its entertainment division, which is of course home to Xbox. “The entertainment division will be spun off, sold to someone like Sony or possibly Barnes & Noble, or dramatically reduced in size,” Forbes contributor Adam Hartung stated.

Yeah ok.. Maybe everything else in that division but the xbox.

conan.jpg

Sony can barely stand on their own two legs. In the slim chance that Microsoft sells the Xbox division it would definitely not be to Sony.

The fact that he listed Sony as someone who would "buy" the Xbox division is enough to laugh right in his face. Sony JUST posted its first profit in the last 5 years , exactly why on Earth would they be the company to sell Xbox too?

Its amazing that tools like this asshole who are probably sitting in front of their collective iMac's and masturbating to how amazing they think Apple is , get paid to make up utter nonsense.

LOL, I forgot to comment on the story..

I think he's dead wrong about Sony, but it's interesting that the buzzards are already starting to swirl around Microsoft. DEATH TO WINDOWS 8!!

Isn't the branding of the Xbox based off DirectX?

But still, Microsoft could come out with another 10 Windows 8's and not be in any financial trouble...

Isn't the branding of the Xbox based off DirectX?

But still, Microsoft could come out with another 10 Windows 8's and not be in any financial trouble...

Xbox branding came off of them trying to apeal to the "X generation" and their first few models of the regular xbox was really cool. What they ended up with was blah and boring.

MS isn't going to sell the Xbox, considering how profitable it is for them why does anyone think it would eventually be for sale to a competitor?!

The fact that he listed Sony as someone who would "buy" the Xbox division is enough to laugh right in his face. Sony JUST posted its first profit in the last 5 years , exactly why on Earth would they be the company to sell Xbox too?

Its amazing that tools like this asshole who are probably sitting in front of their collective iMac's and enjoying how amazing they think Apple is , get paid to make up utter nonsense.

Gods right in this sense.

Furthermore,
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250485/microsoft-profits-531-billion-xbox-rampd-up-70m-xbox-360-shipped/ I guess he never clicked this link.
While the article has points, i takes far to many liabilities, and is based on this we don't' know. Further more Microsoft already works like xbox is its own company.

This is why we dont listen to analyst, lets see he mentions 2 possible buyers both of which are in worse financial position than MS and one of which already has a complete in place console and entertainment division and would gain absolutely nothing from XBOX except scrutiny from anti trust divisions of various governments lol? How exactly is a fumbling company like barnes and nobles suppose to afford and support a console business which requires massive loss leader strategies? Unbelievable what they will allow people to publish.

Sony can barely stand on their own two legs. In the slim chance that Microsoft sells the Xbox division it would definitely not be to Sony.

Yeah Sony have been circling the plughole for quite a few years now.

That said though I disagree with the direction I MS would likely take I think it would be great if MS did sell of the XBOX it has only distracted them and created conflicts of interest. It has IMO hurt the PC more than any other decision from MS.

Xbox branding came off of them trying to apeal to the "X generation" and their first few models of the regular xbox was really cool. What they ended up with was blah and boring.

MS isn't going to sell the Xbox, considering how profitable it is for them why does anyone think it would eventually be for sale to a competitor?!

But thiis:
Directx9.png

It started off as "DirectX box"! Which was a better name than OpenGLbox... That generation X stuff was just marketing nonsense! :D

Yes, even though the hardware itself is probably not the most profitable thing, the games and services probably are... (especially with the ads and subscriptions...)

here is my statement on the whole thing, and i dont give a damn what anybody thinks

Consoles are the worst device ever made along with Justin Bieber.

Consoles are Games for Pc's by watering down the graphics and making the games for Consoles then porting them over Pc's, it should be the other way around, if anything.

Thats all i have to say.

Good day

And we wonder why our country is in an Economic Crisis. Whit Dumb Ass analysts like this giving sway to future market spenders. It’s a wonder we still are here.

FYI Mr. US Business Analyst. iOS is already begun to loose. Hint Apples stock dropping like dead bird. The younger Generation no longer wanting your products because they have become stale. Android eating you alive in the market and yes Microsoft is actually gaining ground in the mobile sector. (400% increase of Windows Phone8 worldwide in Q4 2012. Now sitting at 3.6% market share.)

Also why would Microsoft ever sell of one of its top 3 most profitable sectors if they are going to be in financial trouble? That’s like me winning the lottery and just handing the ticket away.

By the way, Microsoft makes way more money in the private/business sector than it does on the home/mobile side and on this fact. Business are not going to up root their entire infrastructure overnight. Most business just upgrade to Windows 7 so they will stay there for at least the next 5 years before moving anywhere else. Anyway if they did, what the hell would they move to? Linux, not a chance. Apple, um no since they have no real business infrastructure like AD or federation services. Since 90% of all ERP and inline business apps are on Windows platform and that is millions upon millions of dollars that can’t be changed overnight and it won’t be changed.

Microsoft is not going anywhere anytime soon and those naysayers just have to learn that Apple had a good run and we thank it for changing the mobile world forever, but the world doesn’t run on Angry Birds or phone utility OS. Apple’s time has passed as any smart person knew it would. In the next 3-5 years the only big players will be Google, Microsoft and maybe RIM or maybe Samsung. Apple closed minded way was it greatest success but it will also be it demise as they did not innovate fast enough and far enough to make a lasting impact

Xbox360 > Playstation in this house but to play devil's advocate for a sec it sounds like a whole lot of "rah rah I heard Xbox outsold Wii-U and PS3 during the holidays broh" and not bothering to actually look at the underlying financials. The Xbox is making MS relatively nonexistent NET PROFIT compared to the other divisions. While I think the idea of MS selling off XBOX to Sony in particular seems a little far fetched, but the idea of selling it off to SOMEONE at some point isn't out of the realm of possibility. It doesnt really matter if you sell 100 billion units if its making you nearly no money.

The Xbox720 will need to be absolutely killer, and I'm optimistic it will be. And it goes without saying we'll all expect some killer launch titles and one or two exclusives - somehow they understand the importance of launching a new platform with those - something they failed to grasp when launching Metro on Windows 8.

ya never know about these things

It's clear that Sony needs some help....maybe this would give them the edge they need. lol...to basicly corner the market in gaming!

But analysts are like salesmen....they will say anything they think might persuade you. I will never trust them.

analyze this!

And we wonder why our country is in an Economic Crisis. Whit Dumb Ass analysts like this giving sway to future market spenders. It’s a wonder we still are here.

FYI Mr. US Business Analyst. iOS is already begun to loose. Hint Apples stock dropping like dead bird. The younger Generation no longer wanting your products because they have become stale. Android eating you alive in the market and yes Microsoft is actually gaining ground in the mobile sector. (400% increase of Windows Phone8 worldwide in Q4 2012. Now sitting at 3.6% market share.)

Also why would Microsoft ever sell of one of its top 3 most profitable sectors if they are going to be in financial trouble? That’s like me winning the lottery and just handing the ticket away.

By the way, Microsoft makes way more money in the private/business sector than it does on the home/mobile side and on this fact. Business are not going to up root their entire infrastructure overnight. Most business just upgrade to Windows 7 so they will stay there for at least the next 5 years before moving anywhere else. Anyway if they did, what the hell would they move to? Linux, not a chance. Apple, um no since they have no real business infrastructure like AD or federation services. Since 90% of all ERP and inline business apps are on Windows platform and that is millions upon millions of dollars that can’t be changed overnight and it won’t be changed.

Microsoft is not going anywhere anytime soon and those naysayers just have to learn that Apple had a good run and we thank it for changing the mobile world forever, but the world doesn’t run on Angry Birds or phone utility OS. Apple’s time has passed as any smart person knew it would. In the next 3-5 years the only big players will be Google, Microsoft and maybe RIM or maybe Samsung. Apple close minded way was it greatest success but it will also be it demise as they did not innovate fast enough and far enough to make a lasting impact

How did this turn into apple losing? The hell does apple have to do with this article? If you think RIM is a big player and will still be around your comments are hard to defend. Nokia was 10x bigger (a little exaggeration here I dont know the exact #) than RIM in global smartphone market share and they are barely staying relevant. Also by the last report I think iOS grew and Android stayed exactly the same. iOS might not be seeing the continued growth of yesteryear but its not going anywhere anytime soon. Microsoft won't die with even a myriad of bad releases, and I highly doubt they will EVER sell Xbox as its one of the only good brands they have eg out of WIndows, Office, Live, Zune etc. etc. I think the only ones worth anything are Windows and Xbox and maybe office. Microsoft spent billions to build up its mindshare and brand value and they sure as hell wont shudder a profitable business.

Where are you getting the information that Xbox is its "third most profitable sector"? Do tell. Because the (actual) financials say otherwise.

In any case let's talk again on Thursday when the new financials are out.

He just wants you to sale your stock in microsoft and buy apple stock, so maybe his loses won't be so bad.

More likely MS buying Sony than MS selling XBOX brand they just put on every platform they own.

Ummm, I think he's got it backwards. Doesn't Microsoft have the liquid revenue to buy the PlayStation name/rights at the drop of a hat right now while Sony, well, doesn't have much in their coffers at the moment?

Do I need to comment that Nintendo and Sony working together on a console wasn't that far fetched of an idea years ago, but Sony working on its own console was. I think time changed our minds on that one.

Another, Sega releasing games on Nintendo (let alone other consoles) :D

The problem is that the analysts prediction goes against the current trend, which is Microsoft becoming more heavy in the hardware side of things. I mean before, Microsoft developing its own console (or hardware) was sorta like the idea Apple releasing an OS on all platforms, but today we see Microsoft going more and more down the path of first party platforms.

Actually I think he's right. It was originally the DirectXBox, and they shortened it to the XBox.

Do I need to comment that Nintendo and Sony working together on a console wasn't that far fetched of an idea years ago, but Sony working on its own console was. I think time changed our minds on that one.

It seems to be when a company works with another one on a console, the one they work with goes on to be more sucessful.

Nintendo screwed Sony over massively, so Sony went off and made the Playstation and sold a gazzilion times more. Then Microsoft worked with Sega, and ended up with a more sucessful than the Dreamcast console.

So basically if anyone works with either company then the same might happen again. :D

How did this turn into apple losing? The hell does apple have to do with this article?
It's inevitable: every discussion on Samsung/Microsoft/Nokia/BlackBerry article here will blossom into Apple bashing.

How did this turn into apple losing? The hell does apple have to do with this article? If you think RIM is a big player and will still be around your comments are hard to defend. Nokia was 10x bigger (a little exaggeration here I dont know the exact #) than RIM in global smartphone market share and they are barely staying relevant. Also by the last report I think iOS grew and Android stayed exactly the same. iOS might not be seeing the continued growth of yesteryear but its not going anywhere anytime soon. Microsoft won't die with even a myriad of bad releases, and I highly doubt they will EVER sell Xbox as its one of the only good brands they have eg out of WIndows, Office, Live, Zune etc. etc. I think the only ones worth anything are Windows and Xbox and maybe office. Microsoft spent billions to build up its mindshare and brand value and they sure as hell wont shudder a profitable business.

Because of the 4th paragraph made it about iOS
"Hartung went on to predict “enormous layoffs over the next three years”, with as many as half of its employees being shed. He also expects a closure of its online division as Microsoft continues to plough resources into battling iOS – a battle that Hartung unsurprisingly thinks it cannot win."

part of this moron's logic revolved around the xbox division making a lower profit due to increased R&D spending...yeah that is because they got a new console on the horizon.

Suggesting to sell the Xbox division to Sony was what you thought was crazy? I think the possibility to selling it to Barnes and Noble much more crazier. Not to mention mentioning that Apple Cloud Services would be dominant while MS disappear (Apple Cloud currently runs on MS cloud as IaaS).

I think if anyone would want to buy the xbox division it would be someone like Amazon with content delivery goals. They've got the Kindle for you to walk around and buy stuff with, wouldn't it be nice for them if Amazon could take over your TV too?

part of this moron's logic revolved around the xbox division making a lower profit due to increased R&D spending...yeah that is because they got a new console on the horizon.

Borrowing against the anticipation of future profits would be a valid excuse if the 360 had ever been reasonably profitable for MS. This "analyst" is referring to last October's quarterly report where MS cited the increased R&D as the reason for the huge drop in profit (to $19mil from 300-something million the year before). However go back 6 months before that and MS was reporting a loss in the Xbox unit with a different excuse: "videogame console sales are soft".

From an investor standpoint its all about ROI here. Take a longer view in terms of the financials - an MS shareholder has a legitimate concern to wonder why SO much is being spent to be able to say the company has a horse in the videogame console race, when its got such a low ROI. Shareholders dont care that the widgets has sold more units than other similar widgets on the market if there's not a correlation in ROI.

Back