PS4 to Include LCD Touch-Screen, Biometric Sensors?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
More rumors, more leaks concerning a new controller for the upcoming PlayStation 4 rumored to be available for the holiday shopping season this year. 2013 may just be the year where the DualShock controller is being replaced by Biometric technology and touch screens.

The DualShock controller was introduced with the original PlayStation in 1997 and a version of the pad has been used in every PlayStation console since

Yes, let's just put more useless gimmicky technology into the entire next generation of consoles. I'll be like the Sega CD and Atari Jaguar and 3DO all over again.

I'll believe it when I see it, and color me extremely skeptical given how poorly nintendo's controller is being received. I doubt sony is stupid enough to do something that would sink their console like abandoning the best controller on the market.

...well this is sony we are talking about, so it is entirely possible.

The remote will have 32 buttons!!! including one that enables you to shoot unicorns, whatever the game you're in!!!

The DS1 was needed because it had analog sticks and vibration (there was an analog one without vibration, but you know). The DS2 was needed because it had analog buttons. The DS3 was needed because of bluetooth and sixaxis.

Because all the buttons are analog, it's wireless/bluetooth and has vibration and has the sixaxis thing and a rechargable battery, there isn't really much room for adding stuff to how it is now, and people would complain if all the difference is is slightly different R2/L2 buttons or something minor like that. So that might a reason why they might try something "different". Though it's unlikely theyll just replace the current controller, just have another additional one, like the move controller, or kind of combine the two by making the DS4 have a glowing orb on it or something. :D

It will probably be just like the Wii U, you can still use the DS3 but the console will ship with a new controller with a fancy screen.

Pretty cool, yet again this is Sony we're talking about so colour me un-skeptical,

Yes, let's just put more useless gimmicky technology into the entire next generation of consoles. I'll be like the Sega CD and Atari Jaguar and 3DO all over again.

It is sony, always adding stuff no one wants to make their shit more expensive!

The DS1 was needed because it had analog sticks and vibration (there was an analog one without vibration, but you know). The DS2 was needed because it had analog buttons. The DS3 was needed because of bluetooth and sixaxis.

Because all the buttons are analog, it's wireless/bluetooth and has vibration and has the sixaxis thing and a rechargable battery, there isn't really much room for adding stuff to how it is now, and people would complain if all the difference is is slightly different R2/L2 buttons or something minor like that. So that might a reason why they might try something "different". Though it's unlikely theyll just replace the current controller, just have another additional one, like the move controller, or kind of combine the two by making the DS4 have a glowing orb on it or something. :D

I'm waiting for PS9 with that freaky mind control interface, just have to holdout til 2079.

How about they just make the Vita a remote and it comes with the console. You get the game for the PS4, or whatever it is, and you then get to take it on the road on the controller/vita for free. Now that I'd buy.

Which "gimmicks" doomed the 3 devices you mentioned? One wasn't even a console (the Sega CD was the name of the CD add-on to the Genesis), the Jaguar had some extra buttons making the controller too large for my taste but it wasn't truly gimmicky (the games just sucked and third party developers weren't interested), and the 3DO's failure was due mainly to its price.

In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of a major console release that failed because of gimmicks, apart perhaps from the Virtual Boy - depending on how one defines "major." In fact, the console that revitalized the industry after Atari floundered (the NES) shipped initially with what might be the worst videogame gimmick of all time.

I'm kind of exhausted with all the hate expressed about gimmicks anyway. When the DS was announced every idiot and his 5 cousins dismissed the idea of having two screens as a pointless gimmick, yet that handheld went on to become ridiculously popular. I suggest reserving even the hint of judgment until holding Sony's new controller in person. A redesign of the cramped, uncomfortable DualShock layout is certainly long overdue.

+1 and they will shoot themselves in the foot with a resistive touchscreen that will scare away anyone who has used one before. Or they'll go for broke with a good design that costs a fortune.

Just give me a comfortable controller with responsive buttons and I'm happy.

the Sega CD was not useless or gimmiky. Sega HD no idea how to use it right. in fact the Sega CD improved RPGs and genesis games by tons you obviously did not have one and played the good stuff on it that showed that small rom carts was holding 16 bit games back.

the gimmick tech you are talking about in the Sega CD 3do is the cd ROM and fater cpus gpus a 100% proven technology. and the jaguar was the same as any other system at a faster speed than the SNES genesis or tg16 and it had no gimmick tech either.

Face palm..... All I have to say.
Also looks like I'll be putting this money towards a better pc instead.

Like always no one has seen this shit and everyone is bitching and hating and guess what when the ps4 comes out millions of people won't give a damn about what me or u have to say. So why not just wait until this thing comes out and judge it then. They will all move forward with something to separate themselves from the rest.

I'll reserve judgement for when ACTUAL confirmed specs come out during the announcement.

I don't get all the bagging on the new tech however , Sony was bleeding edge with the PS3 with Blu Ray and no one bitched.

The only truly lame news I've heard coming from Sony concerning the PS4 is that Sony has trademarked some kind of new software that basically puts an end to used games being a possibility for the PS4.

This is most likely a bunch of rumor crap. But one of my biggest peeves with the PS3 was the fact that the controller barely changed. And on top of that.. the changes they did make really didn't bode well (the trigger buttons IMO were a poor addition and sucked to use and also not to use when you put it down.. sh1t happened as it would press the triggers way to easily).

So for the PS4 i really do hope they're putting a lot of work into designing a new controller. I think in that design they should have more buttons. Redesign the triggers to be useable (at least 360 Controller standard but i expect higher quality hardware this time around for these plus analogs). Something a little more ergonomic and with the analogs positioned more naturally (again.. ala 360 cont.).

And the kicker... enforce proper game look mechanics upon developers and MAKE them give us REAL control over our analog sticks/buttons (mostly i'm talking sticks here). Or at the very least give us the ability to modify to our preferences so we can get what we prefer and not just a default "slow-med-fast" if they poorly implement it. ( info: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3jq3Adc2gXiRExmcncyQ0ZUYXEtOGNwTmxJcm9yUQ )

This is most likely a bunch of rumor crap. But one of my biggest peeves with the PS3 was the fact that the controller barely changed. And on top of that.. the changes they did make really didn't bode well (the trigger buttons IMO were a poor addition and sucked to use and also not to use when you put it down.. sh1t happened as it would press the triggers way to easily).

So for the PS4 i really do hope they're putting a lot of work into designing a new controller. I think in that design they should have more buttons. Redesign the triggers to be useable (at least 360 Controller standard but i expect higher quality hardware this time around for these plus analogs). Something a little more ergonomic and with the analogs positioned more naturally (again.. ala 360 cont.).

And the kicker... enforce proper game look mechanics upon developers and MAKE them give us REAL control over our analog sticks/buttons (mostly i'm talking sticks here). Or at the very least give us the ability to modify to our preferences so we can get what we prefer and not just a default "slow-med-fast" if they poorly implement it. ( info: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3jq3Adc2gXiRExmcncyQ0ZUYXEtOGNwTmxJcm9yUQ )

stick with the xbox

I'll believe it when I see it, and color me extremely skeptical given how poorly nintendo's controller is being received.

I'm sorry, what? Everyone from my older sister to Penny Arcade's Gabe are forthing at the mouth over the sheer awesomeness of the Wii U's gamepad. I haven't heard anyone but the most ardent Nintendo haters/SDF troopers say anything bad about that piece of kit.

I'm sorry, what? Everyone from my older sister to Penny Arcade's Gabe are forthing at the mouth over the sheer awesomeness of the Wii U's gamepad. I haven't heard anyone but the most ardent Nintendo haters/SDF troopers say anything bad about that piece of kit.

I haven't heard anything except the most ardent Nintendo lovers say anything positive about it. Single worst controller I've ever used.

How about they just make the Vita a remote and it comes with the console. You get the game for the PS4, or whatever it is, and you then get to take it on the road on the controller/vita for free. Now that I'd buy.

The PS Vita controls/setup is the worst handheld I have ever owned.
The position of the buttons is terrible. Other than that it is an amazing piece of HW.

Sony should make the new controller look like a big pair of boobs. WAIT! Hear me out on this!

Let's make touch controls really mean something!

I'll reserve judgement for when ACTUAL confirmed specs come out during the announcement.

I don't get all the bagging on the new tech however , Sony was bleeding edge with the PS3 with Blu Ray and no one bitched.

The only truly lame news I've heard coming from Sony concerning the PS4 is that Sony has trademarked some kind of new software that basically puts an end to used games being a possibility for the PS4.

It is rumored that Microsoft is going to do the same in the next Xbox as well.

Reasoning: Game developers/publishers/Microsoft/Sony are losing money on used game sales.

Hopefully the gimmicks don't cost too much. I want the cost of the console to be in the GPU/CPU/RAM so that my PC gaming experience isn't held back like it was with this generation.

For the Wii U games that support the control pad screen, it's neat that I can play a game while the missus is watching her crappy TV shows, saves a whole bunch of trouble. I guess Sony were just waiting to see where Nintendo were going, since Sony and Microsoft had to create there own movement systems after the Wii was such a huge hit with that gimmick (regardless of the fact it had a handful of decent games that weren't Mario or Zelda related).

Back