Blizzard’s Jay Wilson Leaving the Diablo 3 Team

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In a full page post on the Diablo 3 website, former Diablo 3 Game Director Jay Wilson outlined his leaving the team and moving on to a new unnamed project. His tenure at the helm of Diablo 3 was controversial to say the least especially with his responses to negative criticism of the game for the direction in which he took it.

“I'm proud of Diablo III, and despite our differences at times I will miss the community that has formed around it. I feel I have made many mistakes in managing that relationship, but my intent was always to provide a great gaming experience”.

Good, maybe now they can fix all that is wrong with DIII.

Good Riddance. After paying for Diablo III, Blizzard will never see another dollar from me. With WoW, somehow they got millions of people to run in a hamster wheel and charge a monthly fee for it. Starcraft II was the same as I. Then there was Diablo III which needs no explanation. Break away from Activision, bring back the old crew from Blizzard North, then there might be a chance of redemption.

He's a horrible person, with no good intentions for anything. He sucks.

Good fucking riddance. He's personally responsible for the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced from waiting years for a game release. Duke Nukem Forever was less of a letdown.

I've actually seen people trying to defend this jackass. "Oh, boo boo, people are too hard on poor Jay". This guy screwed up the best franchise in gaming history, completely ignored the vast criticism of the fan base, and acted like a dick when he did decide to acknowledge them. If blizzard had any sense, they would have put as much distance between themselves and this tool as they could, but the blizzard of today cares about nothing but money, and he did deliver that. They'll certainly never get another dime of mine, I can promise you that.

Good riddance, I played Diablo 3 till level 33 and couldnt keep going.

I just don't understand all they had to do was take Diablo 2, add DX11, add about 5 more Acts then what it shipped with and call it done.

I just don't understand all they had to do was take Diablo 2, add DX11, add about 5 more Acts then what it shipped with and call it done.

They put JW in charge, built a game around the rmah then added 99.99% shitty drops. They got exactly what they wanted, a one time huge money pit. To bad they couldn't look beyond the quick greed and learn that in the long haul with a great game it could net you even more money.

Yeah, I have to second the sentiment that Blizzard will not be getting any more of my money

built a game around the rmah then added 99.99% shitty drops.

And they called me a whiny bitch because I didn't like always-online requirement and refused to buy the game. I knew exactly where this was going the minute an "auction house" was integrated into the game which also allowed them to change variables inside the game in a real-time fashion.

Good. Glad he's gone. I hope Blizzard has actually learned something from this experience and won't repeat it anytime soon.

Piss off your audience and get these results.

Got two characters (Wizard and Demon Hunter, because I wanted to know how differently they played) past Normal difficulty, went to Care-a-Lot or whatever that place is called, and then stopped because as far as I was concerned I saw everything the game had to offer; there was no compulsion for me to go any further. Plus, by that point Guild Wars 2 was out, and however bad some might say it has gotten due to some of the patches, in my opinion it was and still is WAAAAAAAAY better than Diablo 3.

I did a single play-through with my ex, never touched it again. I got my money's worth out of Starcraft so I suppose I don't feel as bad. ;)

Is he still with Blizzard or leave? I'm at work and the site is blocked? I'm hoping he didnt goto Titan or w/e its called.

Yeah and of course the Titanic sunk. So guess what is going to happen when it "Ships!" *Pun intended.*

He wasn't fired. He's moving to a different project. Blizzard think he's doing a great job. Most likely working on titan.

I'm surprised he wasn't fired

The ineptitude of Blizzard has been easy to spot, and seriously, there was clear warning signs with WoW

First was in Burning Crusade, when they released Karazhan 2.0 as a 10 man raid

And then with the Wrath Launch, Naxx 2.0.

Then they released Uldar, which was 100% amazing, and people thought they had redeemed themselves, just for them to phone in the rest of the fucking expansion, like the Trial of the Crusader and everything else to come after it.

They kept releasing content for Wrath up until near the end, when Cata was coming out, and there was about a 3 month lul in combat.

And then Cata came out, and it was, bad. The dungeons were not balanced, there was little to no play testing, dungeons were too hard, you had to grind not one, but two sets of dungeons just to be able to get the ability to raid, which takes weeks.

So we got 4 shitty raids to start cata with, so boring that I quit with 47 days of game time left on my account, dev's refused to balance fuck all for classes, PVP, which they want to be a E-Sport, is limited to only 5 classes because all the other ones are sub par for it, two of them are awful for it (Hunter and Shaman)

And then, 7 months into the expansion, they released firelands which flat out sucked, but this was the biggest shocker of all.

7 months into the expansion, a expansion they said would have new content for at least two years, they said that there would be only one more raid, and then the new expansion would be out in over a year

People finally fucking had it, everyone started leaving. They added Dragon soul into the game one year after release, and that was it for Cata, until mists came out 10 months later

Blizzard was losing customers, so fucking incredibly fast it was amazing, flat out fucking amazing, two months after Dragon Soul's release in cata, server population in america dropped by 65%.

They paniced, and they paniced hard, so with Diablo 3 coming out, they put out the "If you buy a year of WoW, you'll get D3 for free!"

Even then, server populations barely recovered, reportedly they only went up 15% at most.

Mists came out and, it blew. It sucked so bad it was amazing, server pops are again down to 6 months before Mists launch, and still falling at a brisk pace, not super fast, but noticeable

Mists of Pandaria was such a "Save this sinking ship" expansion that they released it for $30, every WoW expansion before that was $50

Now you ask, why give away D3 free for all these WoW 1 year subers?

Cause they thought D3 was going to be the thing that saved blizzard, they thought the auction house was going to net them stupid amounts of cash, that they could give away copies for free, and still make up the loss

D3 launched, and reviewers called it amazing, great, perfect, but we all know they were full of shit

All these reviewers, in the "Rush" to get the reviews up, only played the game through once on normal, a few did on nightmare, but that was it, and judged the game on that.

Hell is where all of D3's problems come to light. Gear becomes so powerfully scarce, enemies with prefix's like Waller/Jailer/Fire Chains/Vortex/Shielded are near impossible, but a few players found ways to play the game, and succeed at it

And what did Blizzard do?

Nerfed the players.

Now, NOBODY could advance in the game, unless they grinded untold hours, OR, if they spent money on the AH

AH is the thing that -KILLED- D3, flat out, that was the fucking problem right there, it fucking killed it. The entire games economy was built around it. That is why items are so fucking bad 99.999999999999999999999% of the time, because if everyone could find decent gear with slightly less then moderate grinding like in Diablo 2:LoD, nobody would use the auction house.

Even worse was later on the dev's flat out admitted that they made drops shitty on purpose, just so you would use the AH, because if there was 500,000 windforces on the AH for example, they would never make any big money off of it

Legendaries, the backbone of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, all sucked, there isn't a single Legendary in Diablo 3 that's any good, period. None, nadda, zip.

Why is that?

Because of the stats system.

In their goal of "Making the game level to play" they removed player skill from the equation, and made player stats the goal of the game. Stats is the single factor that makes or breaks a character in D3. They claimed before the release of D3 they "Don't want to repeat D2, where everyone stacked specific stats in order to succeed" except in D3 it was 10x worse, the stats required to beat hell mode are insane, and the stats required to beat inferno either involves the most dedicated of gamers putting thousands and thousands of hours into the game, or people with fat wallets.

And then, when the creator of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 was asked about "What was wrong with D3", he instantly pointed out all these flaws, all these flaws were so glaringly obvious.

And what did Jay Wilson do?

"Fuck that loser"

Why? Cause he though cause D3 was the fastest selling game of all time, it -HAD- to be good.

The problem is though, D3 didn't sell shitloads because it was a good game, it sold shitloads because of all the gamers who were expecting a high quality product after Diablo 2 and Diablo 2: LoD.

Blizzard keeping Jay around after the D3 mess, and giving him a new project I can completely understand, looking at the level of mediocrity coming out of Blizzard since midway through The Burning Crusade, and the money milking internal structure of Blizzard right now is astounding, and its clear as day to see.

This company is dead, any games they sell is either on the charity of former blizzard fans, or people who don't know better.

Oh yeah, Starcraft 2 sucked too, more money milking there for you, splitting that up into 3 games for 3 campaigns, why? Cause "Starcraft 2's story is so high quality!"

Except people don't E-Sport the story, they E-Sport the PVP

All this does is keeps people away from Starcraft 2, because they don't want to get into it until -ALL- the expansions are out, and can properly learn to play a race

This is why LoL and Dota 2 is kicking the ever loving -SHIT- out of Starcraft 2 right now, both of those games are infinitely more fun, and both of those games are -FREE-

Oh yeah, Warcraft 3 blew ass too, but WoW redeemed Blizzard for awhile after that

I'm surprised he wasn't fired

The ineptitude of Blizzard has been easy to spot, and seriously, there was clear warning signs with WoW

*snip*

Or you know, you can come back to reality and realize Wow is still the most successful MMO in history and a huge money maker, and Diablo 3 was one of the best selling PC games of last year.

While YOU may not like the games or their style, thinking that Blizzard is failing just shows how blindly you like to rant. Blizzard is one of the most successful and profitable PC developers out there.

To your point about Wow losing and gaining people. Wow can lose and gain more people between expansions than most MMO's see in a lifetime. Yea... :rolleyes:

Or you know, you can come back to reality and realize Wow is still the most successful MMO in history and a huge money maker, and Diablo 3 was one of the best selling PC games of last year.

While YOU may not like the games or their style, thinking that Blizzard is failing just shows how blindly you like to rant. Blizzard is one of the most successful and profitable PC developers out there.

To your point about Wow losing and gaining people. Wow can lose and gain more people between expansions than most MMO's see in a lifetime. Yea... :rolleyes:
Nothing he said was incorrect.

And Diablo 3 was such a good seller because they painted it as something that it clearly was not. Or can you explain why very many people stopped playing it completely within weeks of getting it?

After Starcraft II 1/3 and Diablo 3 I actually left the Blizzard time some time ago.

I do play on the Feenix TBC free server though.

you got much further than i did then. it took me months just to play through that crap once on my own, and hated it. i just wanted to say i beat it since i was one of the suckers to buy it full price.

D3 sucked in every way possible. it should have never been made.

So that is why Vivendi is trying to dump Activision/Blizzard...because they are the most successful game company? I think even they can see the writing on the wall that gamers are finally tired of them pumping out regurgitated crap.

So that is why Vivendi is trying to dump Activision/Blizzard...because they are the most successful game company? I think even they can see the writing on the wall that gamers are finally tired of them pumping out regurgitated crap.

Actually Vivendi needed to raise capital and that's why they were trying to sell Activision/Blizzard. Vivendi is struggling financially and ATVI is one of they attractive things they own. You can't sell what no one wants. They considered unloading ATVI since it holds value. The problem with selling them was actually that it is valued too high and most bidders didn't have enough capital to buy it.

Also, ATVI posted better 2012 Q3 results than expected (Q4 is due in Feb). It was the best quarter the history of the company.

Please do some research next time. Thanks.

I think he is going over to Titan...

Oh I hope that isn't the case. That would pretty much kill my already waning interest in the mystery project. I've grown very disinterested with Blizzard since the activision merger. Little by little the quality of their games/expansions have lessened. Diablo 3 was the last straw. Pretty much everything that Jay Wilson said during development was then completely contradicted shortly before and after release when everyone was heavily criticizing the game changes. The only thing keeping titan on my radar was all the crap about the original wow teaming being its design team.

Actually Vivendi needed to raise capital and that's why they were trying to sell Activision/Blizzard. Vivendi is struggling financially and ATVI is one of they attractive things they own. You can't sell what no one wants. They considered unloading ATVI since it holds value. The problem with selling them was actually that it is valued too high and most bidders didn't have enough capital to buy it.

Also, ATVI posted better 2012 Q3 results than expected (Q4 is due in Feb). It was the best quarter the history of the company.

Please do some research next time. Thanks.

Bullshit....you don't sell a continued money maker. They are unloading it while it is still worth something knowing its on a downward spiral. It doesn't take an economic genius to see that its all down hill. Do you think the next D3 or Wow release is going to sell like gangbusters knowing what has happened this past year? You sound and defend them like your getting paid?

Good riddance whoever he was. If I wanted to nerf my own char based on stat choice, the let me suffer. D3 is all about farming and farming and farming. Same shit over and over and over.

D3 was the ultimate cock slap to all Diablo fans. The fact that it sold millions purchased the game is a testimate to all the fans who loved the series. I personally forced myself to play 90 hours and finally after coming to the realization that this game was a cash grab I stoppped mid run and said "fuck this" last game I buy from Blizzard.

In short, fuck Jay Wilson and any game he is part of. If he is listed in the credits its an instant no buy for me.

Bullshit....you don't sell a continued money maker. They are unloading it while it is still worth something knowing its on a downward spiral. It doesn't take an economic genius to see that its all down hill.

Excellent, I provide facts backed up by Vivendi's own press releases and what financial analysts have stated. You say bullshit and rant with nothing concrete.

Since you have no grasp of economics let me clarify it one more time. When a company needs to raise quick capital, they need to sell something valuable. ATVI is valuable. They had little interest from bidders and took ATVI off the market quickly. ATVI proceeded to post a (in caps and bold since you missed it the first time) RECORD BREAKING QUARTER in Q3 2012.

Do you think the next D3 or Wow release is going to sell like gangbusters knowing what has happened this past year? You sound and defend them like your getting paid?

Actually, look at the data again. It's very interesting and destroys your rant. Diablo came out on May 15th which was Q2 for ATVI. So, if people were fed up with Blizz because Diablo turned them off, then Q3 would have been terrible since people would not buy MoP due to the loss of faith in Blizzard. Well what happened do you ask? ATVI set a record in Q3. That doesn't sound like people skipping out on MoP. Also, CoD BO2 had nothing to do with it because that fell into Q4 2012. So the record breaking Q3 2012 was mainly supported by MoP.

But yes, ignore the data, you're right, company is in the shitter. :rolleyes:

Too bad the overhaul required to fix DIII is so vast, it's still likely the end of the series.

Back